Thoroughly Depressing Open Meeting

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Has anyone here ever had any problems for not displaying their paper licence? I never display mine and once mentioned it to a guy with a hand held checker and he told me it didn't matter. It doesn't seem to be enforced at all.

Many 'Christians' attend Sunday Services in their expensive luxury Volvos, Mercedes and Range/LandRovers and bleat about how it's harder for a camel to pass thru' the eye of a needle than a rich person to get to Heaven...

Bloody oath, aye. You can't get near our local church on Sunday mornings for all those bleedin' camels parked outside. And don't get me started on that donkey tied to the fence, eatin' the flowers and makin' a row, but they reckoned they couldn't move it because it was waiting for the guest of honour.

Has anyone here ever had any problems for not displaying their paper licence? I never display mine and once mentioned it to a guy with a hand held checker and he told me it didn't matter. It doesn't seem to be enforced at all.

Only once when going through a lock on the River Severn the lock keeper was not going to let me through the lock, in the end I phoned the licencing dept and they spoke to him and all was Ok. I hardly ever display a licence well normally not for about the first 3 or months of a new period and sometimes longer

Only once when going through a lock on the River Severn the lock keeper was not going to let me through the lock, in the end I phoned the licencing dept and they spoke to him and all was Ok. I hardly ever display a licence well normally not for about the first 3 or months of a new period and sometimes longer

Why? Just asking.

"Should we just look after ourselves or share what we can with those less fortunate"

Many 'Christians' attend Sunday Services in their expensive luxury Volvos, Mercedes and Range/LandRovers and bleat about how it's harder for a camel to pass thru' the eye of a needle than a rich person to get to Heaven...

Unfortunately throughout history a greater number of deaths have been caused by religion than any other reason.

Whilst the 'Church' may preach, 'love thy neighbour',& 'turn the other cheek' there is a very dark side to many religions, and, even well into the 20th Century the Catholic Church, (or members of the Church) has been behind several atrocities

Catholic extermination camps

Surpisingly few know that Nazi extermination camps in World War II were by no means the only ones in Europe at the time. In the years 1942-1943 also in Croatia existed numerous extermination camps, run by Catholic Ustasha under their dictator Ante Paveli, a practising Catholic and regular visitor to the then pope. There were even concentration camps exclusively for children!

In these camps - the most notorious was Jasenovac, headed by a Franciscan friar - orthodox-Christian serbians (and a substantial number of Jews) were murdered. Like the Nazis the Catholic Ustasha burned their victims in kilns, alive (the Nazis were decent enough to have their victims gassed first). But most of the victims were simply stabbed, slain or shot to death, the number of them being estimated between 300,000 and 600,000, in a rather tiny country. Many of the killers were Franciscan friars. The atrocities were appalling enough to induce bystanders of the Nazi "Sicherheitsdient der SS", watching, to complain about them to Hitler (who did not listen). The pope knew about these events and did nothing to prevent them.

• Catholic terror in Vietnam 1954

The fanatic Catholic Ngo Dinh Diem was made president of South Vietnam.

Diem saw to it that U.S. aid, food, technical and general assistance was given to Catholics alone, Buddhist individuals and villages were ignored or had to pay for the food aids which were given to Catholics for free. The only religious denomination to be supported was Roman Catholicism.

The Vietnamese McCarthyism turned even more vicious than its American counterpart. By 1956 Diem promulgated a presidential order which read:

• "Individuals considered dangerous to the national defense and common security may be confined by executive order, to a concentration camp."

Supposedly to fight communism, thousands of buddhist protesters and monks were imprisoned in "detention camps." Out of protest dozens of buddhist teachers - male and female - and monks poured gasoline over themselves and burned themselves. (
Note that Buddhists burned themselves: in comparison Christians tend to burn others
). Meanwhile some of the prison camps, which in the meantime were filled with Protestant and even Catholic protesters as well, had turned into no-nonsense death camps. It is estimated that during this period of terror (1955-1960) at least 24,000 were wounded - mostly in street riots - 80,000 people were executed, 275,000 had been detained or tortured, and about 500,000 were sent to concentration or detention camps

• Rwanda Massacres

In 1994 in the small african country of Rwanda in just a few months several hundred thousand civilians were butchered, apparently a conflict of the Hutu and Tutsi ethnic groups.

For quite some time I heard only rumours about Catholic clergy actively involved in the 1994 Rwanda massacres. Odd denials of involvement were printed in Catholic church journals, before even anybody had openly accused members of the church.

Then, 10/10/96, in the newscast of S2 Aktuell, Germany - a station not at all critical to Christianity - the following was stated:

"Anglican as well as Catholic priests and nuns are suspect of having actively participated in murders. Especially the conduct of a certain Catholic priest has been occupying the public mind in Rwanda's capital Kigali for months. He was minister of the church of the Holy Family and allegedly murdered Tutsis in the most brutal manner. He is reported to have accompanied marauding Hutu militia with a gun in his cowl. In fact there has been a bloody slaughter of Tutsis seeking shelter in his parish. Even two years after the massacres many Catholics refuse to set foot on the threshold of their church, because to them the participation of a certain part of the clergy in the slaughter is well established. There is almost no church in Rwanda that has not seen refugees - women, children, old - being brutally butchered facing the crucifix.

The old postal problem I get 3 postal forwardings a year. The problem with being homeless

Ah, thank you.

Unfortunately throughout history a greater number of deaths have been caused by religion than any other reason.

Whilst the 'Church' may preach, 'love thy neighbour',& 'turn the other cheek' there is a very dark side to many religions, and, even well into the 20th Century the Catholic Church, (or members of the Church) has been behind several atrocities

Surpisingly few know that Nazi extermination camps in World War II were by no means the only ones in Europe at the time. In the years 1942-1943 also in Croatia existed numerous extermination camps, run by Catholic Ustasha under their dictator Ante Paveli, a practising Catholic and regular visitor to the then pope. There were even concentration camps exclusively for children!

In these camps - the most notorious was Jasenovac, headed by a Franciscan friar - orthodox-Christian serbians (and a substantial number of Jews) were murdered. Like the Nazis the Catholic Ustasha burned their victims in kilns, alive (the Nazis were decent enough to have their victims gassed first). But most of the victims were simply stabbed, slain or shot to death, the number of them being estimated between 300,000 and 600,000, in a rather tiny country. Many of the killers were Franciscan friars. The atrocities were appalling enough to induce bystanders of the Nazi "Sicherheitsdient der SS", watching, to complain about them to Hitler (who did not listen). The pope knew about these events and did nothing to prevent them.

Diem saw to it that U.S. aid, food, technical and general assistance was given to Catholics alone, Buddhist individuals and villages were ignored or had to pay for the food aids which were given to Catholics for free. The only religious denomination to be supported was Roman Catholicism.

The Vietnamese McCarthyism turned even more vicious than its American counterpart. By 1956 Diem promulgated a presidential order which read:

• "Individuals considered dangerous to the national defense and common security may be confined by executive order, to a concentration camp."

Supposedly to fight communism, thousands of buddhist protesters and monks were imprisoned in "detention camps." Out of protest dozens of buddhist teachers - male and female - and monks poured gasoline over themselves and burned themselves. (
Note that Buddhists burned themselves: in comparison Christians tend to burn others
). Meanwhile some of the prison camps, which in the meantime were filled with Protestant and even Catholic protesters as well, had turned into no-nonsense death camps. It is estimated that during this period of terror (1955-1960) at least 24,000 were wounded - mostly in street riots - 80,000 people were executed, 275,000 had been detained or tortured, and about 500,000 were sent to concentration or detention camps

• Rwanda Massacres

In 1994 in the small african country of Rwanda in just a few months several hundred thousand civilians were butchered, apparently a conflict of the Hutu and Tutsi ethnic groups.

For quite some time I heard only rumours about Catholic clergy actively involved in the 1994 Rwanda massacres. Odd denials of involvement were printed in Catholic church journals, before even anybody had openly accused members of the church.

Then, 10/10/96, in the newscast of S2 Aktuell, Germany - a station not at all critical to Christianity - the following was stated:

"Anglican as well as Catholic priests and nuns are suspect of having actively participated in murders. Especially the conduct of a certain Catholic priest has been occupying the public mind in Rwanda's capital Kigali for months. He was minister of the church of the Holy Family and allegedly murdered Tutsis in the most brutal manner. He is reported to have accompanied marauding Hutu militia with a gun in his cowl. In fact there has been a bloody slaughter of Tutsis seeking shelter in his parish. Even two years after the massacres many Catholics refuse to set foot on the threshold of their church, because to them the participation of a certain part of the clergy in the slaughter is well established. There is almost no church in Rwanda that has not seen refugees - women, children, old - being brutally butchered facing the crucifix.

Sorry, but what has this diatribe got to do with General Boating or the topic in question? - it belongs in the virtual pub.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 2

Ah, thank you.

Sorry, but what has this diatribe got to do with General Boating or the topic in question? - it belongs in the virtual pub.

It followed on from :

Which also has very little to do with General Boating

In my opinion only the honest have legitimate licences so why bother having one to display ?

CRT are not interested in pursuing those who flout the law of licence as witnessed by them having accepted a low percentage of evaders instead of zero tolerance.

I often don't for the first few weeks due to combination of poor memory and distance to the boat.

Our boat was once checked while displaying an out of date one and the guy with the hand held didn't bat an eyelid.

This is near me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29463214

They've just been evicted and there are some moving onto cabin cruisers. And 8 touring caravans have just appeared at the end of the marsh (definitely not Roma/Irish travellers - Seem to be British /afro caribbean) and I've just counted two shacks and a tent on the marsh. If you're earning £25 a day cash in hand - people obviously think it's ok to pay people like this so little to work for them - and a room is £500 a month what would you do? You can forget benefits, you don't have an address. homeless charities don't want to know, already overloaded and the hostels charge more than the £500 a month room rental.

It's like the end of the world out here - new traveller sites/live in vehicles/tents/shacks. Never known it like this. And of course it is spilling onto the canal.

Well said Lady Muck. People keep telling me everything is OK though.

How about licenses being issued by Marinas for a small fee.

Im sure Stafford Boat ckub already do this.

Some already do. (sort of)

Well they do the paperwork, give you a receipt to say you are licenced ,and then a couple of weeks later C&RT phone you for your credit/debit card details. Then your licence comes in the post.

Rebel. You will be posting in block capitals next.. ;)

I am puzzled about comments to the effect that people don't have printers.....I even have one that lives on my yoghurt pot (the laptop moves with me) it is tiny (about the size of a largish hardback book) only consumes 27 watts runs happily off a tiny plug in inverter and cost a tenner second hand. I refill my own cartridges for it (I only use black) with a kit from Tesco's....I don't understand why people seem to think it a problem.....am I missing something ?

Some already do. (sort of)

Well they do the paperwork, give you a receipt to say you are licenced ,and then a couple of weeks later C&RT phone you for your credit/debit card details. Then your licence comes in the post.

Fair enough, I didnt realise this is how it was done.

The post office managed it for motor vehicles for years though.

I am puzzled about comments to the effect that people don't have printers.....I even have one that lives on my yoghurt pot (the laptop moves with me) it is tiny (about the size of a largish hardback book) only consumes 27 watts runs happily off a tiny plug in inverter and cost a tenner second hand. I refill my own cartridges for it (I only use black) with a kit from Tesco's....I don't understand why people seem to think it a problem.....am I missing something ?

Lucky you, I have no need for a printer and will not be getting one just to print a licence, if that is the way it goes.

Lucky you, I have no need for a printer and will not be getting one just to print a licence, if that is the way it goes.

but don't you find you need it? I use my laptop and printer for all sorts....orders, letters by snail mail, road directions, tide tables running off application forms etc etc......surely it's not possible to manage without hard copy some of the time....I know I can't

but don't you find you need it? I use my laptop and printer for all sorts....orders, letters by snail mail, road directions, tide tables running off application forms etc etc......surely it's not possible to manage without hard copy some of the time....I know I can't

Nope have better things to do with the space on the very very rare times I need a hard copy such as my Winter Mooring Permit I go to the nearest Library and print it off if I need to send something snail mail also very rarely I write it by that old fashioned method a pen and a piece of paper last time was about 8 months ago to HMRC

Supposedly to fight communism, thousands of buddhist protesters and monks were imprisoned in "detention camps." Out of protest dozens of buddhist teachers - male and female - and monks poured gasoline over themselves and burned themselves. (Note that Buddhists burned themselves: in comparison Christians tend to burn others). Meanwhile some of the prison camps, which in the meantime were filled with Protestant and even Catholic protesters as well, had turned into no-nonsense death camps. It is estimated that during this period of terror (1955-1960) at least 24,000 were wounded - mostly in street riots - 80,000 people were executed, 275,000 had been detained or tortured, and about 500,000 were sent to concentration or detention camps

• Rwanda Massacres

Err...how did this end up about religion....surely it's just about being nice to those around you....sometimes people use religion as an excuse for all sorts of things!

I asked one of my best friends (who was an Anglican vicar) about 'being religious'...he said he wasn't. It took quite a long time before I realised what he meant. Spoken/written language is a useful tool but like any tool you can use it to be nice or not nice. The fact is that if everyone in history didn't give a damn about those around them, none of us would be here to debate it....

I'll hold my hands up and say I can become an arse within seconds but I like to think I learn from it and become a nicer person overall. I'm still work in progress I'm afraid...

Nope have better things to do with the space on the very very rare times I need a hard copy such as my Winter Mooring Permit I go to the nearest Library and print it off if I need to send something snail mail also very rarely I write it by that old fashioned method a pen and a piece of paper last time was about 8 months ago to HMRC

When I had to correspond with the vampires department of HM government I was always tempted to use a very large red felt tip so that the ink would bleed through the page...It might be a legal requirement to fill in the form but I always wondered if it was a legal requirement to be legible

eta never had the nerve to trysad.png

Edited by John V

Horses for courses, I honestly cannot remember when I needed to print anything in the last five years.

ps. that is when I went live aboard and even before that I very rarely printed anything other than photographs and that often meant replacing the ink as the stuff in the machine had dried up.

I also attended this meeting with a couple of friends who lets us have spare tickets. When I asked CART how they were allocated I was told that emails were sent to people either spotted in the local area or listed as mooring locally. As I was neither of these up until a month ago I would not have heard about it. But I have internet access(obviously!) and if I need to print something can either go to the library or get a friend to do it for me. I did have a printer but the large amount of dog hair seems to kill it!

I heard the comment that upset the lady but feel she would have achieved more if she had stayed and voiced her opinion. Nothing will change if people don't say what they feel. I understand some find it difficult to speak up at these meetings but I managed to talk to all of the people from ART at the end and bend their ears on certain matters. There are more than one way to skin a cat!