Boat Painting by Rose Narrowbooats

Featured Posts

we got quotation from Hillmorton which consisted of a base price then a very long list of additional costs, which when compared like for like with Roses was considerable more. We like the single price from Roses which included all windows removed (& replaced), all brasses remove polished and lacquered, etc etc which was fixed at the start. The job took 6-7 weeks but well worth the wait.

Whilst we agree that Hillmorton present a very nice paint job, this has to be balanced with your budget and we were not confident of the final invoice that may had been presented at Hillmorton, when it would be too late.

Or pop up the arm to Oxon Boat Painting at Brinklow Boat Services. Very good dock, very good service, not the cheapest but I'm a firm believer that there are no corners to be cut when painting so a good job doesn't come cheap without a reason!

Or pop up the arm to Oxon Boat Painting at Brinklow Boat Services. Very good dock, very good service, not the cheapest but I'm a firm believer that there are no corners to be cut when painting so a good job doesn't come cheap without a reason!

Are Oxon Boat Paining still in business though, if they are they certainly don't want work. I sent them 2 emails and left a phone message for them, no response at all.

Our boat is booked in with Rose next June. I too like the fact that they quote an all in price including blacking, sign writing etc, and well as all back to bare metal (which ours needs due to the poor quality of the original paint job) and all windows and fittings removed. Time will tell how pleased I am with the job.

Are Oxon Boat Paining still in business though, if they are they certainly don't want work. I sent them 2 emails and left a phone message for them, no response at all.

I searched my emails as soon as I read your post. You were sent an estimate for the work on the 6th of June 2014 from OBPCo, ref FIR1858. And I know you received it, because you replied to it.

I searched my emails as soon as I read your post. You were sent an estimate for the work on the 6th of June 2014 from OBPCo, ref FIR1858. And I know you received it, because you replied to it.

I had an automated quote from you web site in which I asked you to contact me, which you did not, I followed up with an email and a phone call asking the same. At that point I gave up.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd just like to correct some very inaccurate information given in this thread:

Our paintshed is a heated and insulated steel frame building which is most definitely sealed by doors at either end and we do not paint boats in "sections". I think Matty is thinking of the short poly tunnel we have over the end of the slipway to keep the engineers dry!

Having worked at Hillmorton dry dock for for some years in the early 90's I'm very familiar with the facilities there and there's nothing to choose between the two sites.

Regards,

Anthony, Rose Narrowboats

we got quotation from Hillmorton which consisted of a base price then a very long list of additional costs, which when compared like for like with Roses was considerable more. We like the single price from Roses which included all windows removed (& replaced), all brasses remove polished and lacquered, etc etc which was fixed at the start. The job took 6-7 weeks but well worth the wait.

Whilst we agree that Hillmorton present a very nice paint job, this has to be balanced with your budget and we were not confident of the final invoice that may had been presented at Hillmorton, when it would be too late.

Odd because when we had our boat painted there in 2010 the price quoted was all in, including sign writing and graphics, apart from lacquer coating which we opted for as an addition.

All fixtures and fittings were removed for painting and the price included blacking.

Our paintshed is a heated and insulated steel frame building which is most definitely sealed by doors at either end and we do not paint boats in "sections". I think Matty is thinking of the short poly tunnel we have over the end of the slipway to keep the engineers dry!

I was indeed, have seen painting going on in there on my many passes.

I stand corrected.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to thank and praise my partner Sally, who ably assisted me in scraping the skin off the various tins of old paint we had back in the Summer.

She expertly feathered one colour into another as we worked our way down the cabin side, and did it so well that so long as you peered at it through a kaliedoscope you'd never realise.

Also her deciscion to rename the boat from "Unostentatious" to "A" was inspired and made painting the name back on a doddle.

I think next time we'll try using a brush or maybe even two. Even though this year's result was professionally enhanced by the amount of paint a Weetabix can hold we do like the traditional ways of doing things ... hence the roses we painted on the fenders.

Going to have a go at painting mine myself, well spraying it anyway as its in a poly tunnel in my yard and I have sprayed before but not a boat.

Neil

We painted ours this year. Roller and laid off with a brush. Used HMG primer/coach enamel. Didn't bother with an undercoat. The paint went on top of a 12 year old paint job that was Craftmaster paint onto a grit blasted boat. I didn't hit it hard enough with the DA sander before painting, in the right light you can still see parts of coach lines from the old paint job. Rented the floating dock here to do it in.

10614290_897049580309876_134556275125617

Just a thumbs up for John Barnard of Debdale Wharf (www.johnbarnard.biz). Had my boat painted there this summer and he did a great job.

I don't think you can judge a paint job for about four years, having said that I have seen two this year straight out of the dock that I wont be using next time I part with all that hard earned cash.

On the point of Hillmorton, are there two individual painters working at Hillmorton, not necessary the same yard.