Sticky stuff

Chrissie

Featured Posts

The previous owner of our boat had stuck his pictures to the cabin sides with sticky velcro and we are left with the sticky residue which is a bit like clear chewing gum.

Any ideas about how to get rid of it? I had considered using WD40, but any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Chrissie

Depends what the finish is on your cabin. I have read that old fashioned cigarette lighter fluid works well. You would have to test it somewhere hidden away though to ensure no damage to finish.

The previous owner of our boat had stuck his pictures to the cabin sides with sticky velcro and we are left with the sticky residue which is a bit like clear chewing gum.

Any ideas about how to get rid of it?  I had considered using WD40, but any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Chrissie

Chrissie

It could be UHU glue.

Just how sticky is it?

What is the finish of the surface it is on? Varnish, Oil, Paint.

If it is still tacky to touch you might like to try a cut Orange, this works with the glue used for lables. Careful it could stain you wood.

MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), or CTC (Carbon Tetra Cloride) may do if its really hard and dry but these are dangerous.

As Stan says lighter fluid.

It may soften it up enough to work it off with your thumb.

A 'little' Polycleanse may help but may be a bit fierce.

What ever you use "The watch word is ventilation!" A lot of carbon based fluids are very toxic.

I don't think WD40 is what you need. Its an oil based product.

Chrissie

It could be UHU glue.

Just how sticky is it?

What is the finish of the surface it is on? Varnish, Oil, Paint.

If it is still tacky to touch you might like to try a cut Orange, this works with the glue used for lables. Careful it could stain you wood.

MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), or CTC (Carbon Tetra Cloride) may do if its really hard and dry but these are dangerous.

As Stan says lighter fluid.

It may soften it up enough to work it off with your thumb.

A 'little' Polycleanse may help but may be a bit fierce.

What ever you use "The watch word is ventilation!" A lot of carbon based fluids are very toxic.

I don't think WD40 is what you need. Its an oil based product.

acetone (nail varnish remover) might help.

Thanks everyone. We're off back to the boat this weekend so I'll give the Sticky Stuff Remover a go.

for info - it is on a varnished surface, with a consistency a bit like the clear glue that magazine inserts are stuck with. Tried working it off with a blunt scraper, but it would probably take weeks!

Please let me know how you get on, I have exactly the same problem though in my case self inflicted. It is self adhesive Velcro, being reluctant to screw into my varnished panelling I have used the product for holding pictures on the cabin sides. Lasted many years but on very hot days the adhesive would lose it's grip but left a residue behind.

Before buying all thes expensive patented substances, have you tried the conventional solvents, none of which should harm the varnish. Start with White Spirit, which dissolves most self adhesive substances, if that does not work try Methylated spirits, if that fails try cellulose thinners(but do a test in an inconspicuous place first just in case your varnish is cellulose based) and you could also try isopropyl alcohol if you have some, it can be bought from chemists and will have lots of other uses in the boat and home for cleaning things like computer screens, spectacle lenses, car windscreen etc. I use it for cleaning the seams on my Cratch Cover prior to applying new sealant.

. . . I don't think WD40 is what you need. Its an oil based product. . .

WD40 can be used to assist the removal of adhesives, especially the sort of tacky stuff that you can smear but not actually remove. The oil prevents the adhesive from reattaching. It also has a mild solvent effect; use of more aggressive solvents can result in a bigger, stickier mess than you started with if not damage to the surface.

Alan

and you could also try isopropyl alcohol if you have some, it can be bought from chemists and will have lots of other uses in the boat and home for cleaning things like computer screens, spectacle lenses, car windscreen etc. I use it for cleaning the seams on my Cratch Cover prior to applying new sealant.

WARNING

Isopropyl Alcohol is not really the stuff to have onboard a boat.

The "ISO" tells you that it produces its own oxygen as it burns.

If it catches fire it can be 'very' difficult to extinguish.

Not to mention the Human Health Hazards

click here for safety info

Health Hazard Reference(s)

Suspected: Cardiovascular or Blood Toxicant

Developmental Toxicant

Gastrointestinal or Liver Toxicant

Kidney Toxicant

Neurotoxicant

Respiratory Toxicant

Skin or Sense Organ Toxicant

Edited by maffi mushkila

quote "Isopropyl Alcohol is not really the stuff to have onboard a boat."

With all solvents you need to treat them with a deal of respect, they all emit potentially dangerous fumes and are all flamable, that is the nature of solvents. As long as you use protective gloves, ensure that the space where it is being used is well ventilated, and do not expose them to potential sources of ignition, they do not pose any real danger to anyone, and the quantities involved are really quite small. Now if we were talking about the quantities of chemicals used in say a chromium plating plant then you could have some problems.

All Health warnings issued by medical organizations (particularly those from the U.S. as this one is) will include a terrifying list of potential hazards for anyone who uses the substance. I assume you have never studied the list of potential side effects for most over the counter medicines available in this country, you could have a nervous breakdown just thinking about them.

White spirit, meths, gin - I've used the all with no ill effects to my woodwork. But usually I reserve the gin for those really stressful situations where the meths won't work. It's amazing what a new perspective you get after a couple of stiff gin and tonics!

I assume you have never studied  the list of potential side effects for most over the counter medicines available in this country, you could have a nervous breakdown just thinking about them.

You assume wrong there David.

Avoiding a breakdown nervous or otherwise is precisley why I read and understand (as best I can) then opt for suffering without.

Even the important life giving compound HIJ KL MN O can have life threatening side effects.

Fires require 3 things to be fires

1. Fuel

2. Oxygen

3. Ignition

Remove any one and the fire goes out.

If your fuel is producing it's own oxygen you can't remove that.

If you can't remove the oxygen then the ignition is relatively self sustaining.

Which leaves you with Fuel, if the source of the fuel is a broken bottle, the contents of which are seeping under your floor boards, you have a serious problem.

One drop of IPA on your skin will pass through and damage some of the cells in your kidneys within 30 mins. Why they use it to swab you skin prior to giving you an injection is something I will never understand nor accept.

No sorry IPA is not something I would want on my boat.

Try Johnson's baby wipes.

I've found them great at removing just about anything - ink, tar, fresh paint, crayons and UHU.

They're so good that I now keep a packet in the car for cleaning the leather seats and anything else that they manage to cover in goo.

It does make me wonder what they did to my sons bum though!

Edited by rustyduck

• 16 years later...
On 02/02/2005 at 12:06, Chrissie said:

Any ideas about how to get rid of it? I had considered using WD40, but any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Chrissie

Have you tried Swarfega?

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

If she hasnt removed it in the last 16 years then it might be a good shout....

It was the oldest post I could find.  I challenge you to find an older one (since the last post, not since started.)

• Greenie 1