Disposing of Old Petrol

Chalky

Featured Posts

After being laid up for 17 years I'm finally going to get my very modified MGB GT back on the road. Since its been laid up for so long the petrol in the tank will be completely useless so I need to dispose of it. I'm used to dealing with oldish petrol by adding it to the lawn mower or the generator for the boat however this is too far gone. How do I get rid of it correctly?

After being laid up for 17 years I'm finally going to get my very modified MGB GT back on the road. Since its been laid up for so long the petrol in the tank will be completely useless so I need to dispose of it. I'm used to dealing with oldish petrol by adding it to the lawn mower or the generator for the boat however this is too far gone. How do I get rid of it correctly?

I have been allowed to tip scrap diesel and petrol into the waste oil tank at our recycling centre.

Make a tommy cooker and burn it off?

Never done it so can not comment on how safe but the desert troops in WW2 used to cook over home made petrol stoves

Google tommy cookers

Please define "very modified"!

I am sure lots of us want to know.

+0.04” overbore – 1840cc (was 1798)

High flow oil pump

Balanced crank, conrods and pistons

2708 big valve head with 1.625" inlet valves

Unshrouded valves (effectively produces a similar effect to fitting high lift cam)

3 angle valve seats (normally 45 degree)

Nimonic metal back angle relieved valves with waisted stems

Unleaded conversion

35cc +/- 0.5 cc combustion chambers (normally 38cc)

9.75:1 compression ratio (normally 9.0:1)

Phosphor bronze valve guides (normally iron)

Opened up and cleaned (not polished) ports matched to manifolds

Duplex timing chain with offset keys (cheaper than vernier gears but same effect)

Double valve springs (normally single)

Modified distributor curve

Flowed HIF4 carburettors

Carburettor needles to match

K&N air filters

Peco big bore exhaust with skid plates on rear silencer and cherry bomb centre

Suspension lowered to chrome bumper heights

Leyland ST front valance

Uprated ¾” front anti roll bar

Uprated suspension bushes

Sherpa clutch plate (uprated MGB!)

etc

This should be good for about 110 BHp on super unleaded compared to 95 for a standard engine. Estimated fuel consumption about 23 mpg. Most of the mods are taking the car back to an earlier production standard before the emissions mods took the engine to 84 bhp and removed most of the mid range torque.

Some insurance companies won’t insure it because it’s a modified car. The MG owners club consider it to be standard since most have similar mods. I did look at fitting an O series or a T16 a few years ago however I was advised by the club to fit a V8 since it was available as a factory fit.

I worked with the team that developed the MPI mini and looked at fitting injection to the engine. It would have required a modified fly wheel with a K wheel pattern and crank pickup, cam sensor adding, new / modified manifold (probably off a single carb sherpa), swirl tank, a few extra sensors and wiring and a MEMS 2J mapping aid with PETA software. Unfortunately life got in the way and the car was laid up. The head came off the car and I spent months modifying it - it's not been back on the road since. Once I've checked everything and got it running it's a trip to the rolling road for calibration before an MOT...

Edited by Chalky

I have seen both an O series out of the series 2 SD1 complete with 5 speed gearbox and the T16 in MGBs both were very good and dare I say it better in some ways than the V8. In my own TR7 convertible I had everything including the engine to convert it to V8 power but have stuck with the slant 4 mainly for fuel consumption reasons. However it is mildly tuned so isnt lacking power clapping.gif

Peter

it appears i was wrong about the WW2 cooker name, i know how did that happen:D , it was called a benghazi burner see the Wiki link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benghazi_burner

"Tommy cooker" was the German nickname for the Sherman tank, because they ran on petrol IIRC.

it appears i was wrong about the WW2 cooker name, i know how did that happen:D , it was called a benghazi burner see the Wiki link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benghazi_burner

You were right- http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_cooker