Keeping to the right

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

Our boat is very deep in the water and sometimes it is better for us to pass on the left . For example, when the pound levels are low in the Braunston flight we can run aground on the off side, most people understand when Jan explains that she needs to keep the boat over on the towpath side, but we always seem to come across one a***hole who insists on his (It's always a man!!) "right" to pass on the right hand side.They are usually modern boats wiith about the same draught as a floating cork who's owners seem to have no concept of older boats being deeper.

Obviously if the boat approaching is equally deep (or deeper) we will stay on the correct side, but pass very slowly and about a metre to the right of the channel centre, something else which bobbing corks seem unable to do.

That's all fine, and I would always listen to the requirements of other boaters and act accordingly. But when I'm on my own, steering my boat with the noise of the engine underneath me, I imagine I might find it quite difficult to understand what Jan (I assume she's your partner) wanted me to do - since it runs counter to one of the most fundamentals rules of boating.

Also, you say that that if the approaching boat is deep [draughted] then you will stay on the correct side, but how can you possibly know what is under the waterline? I've talked to the owners of several fairly deep-draughted modern boats, so either your knowledge of boat builders and the draught of their boats is second to none, or you're making quite a lot of assumptions when other boats approach you. Either way it seems to me that our bobbing corks may actually be a bit more suited to the current status of many canals and levels of waterways traffic, because we can actually pass port to port without a problem.

Edited by blackrose

Exactly as you say, stay centre channel but move over to the right when meeting a boat coming the other way

On many canals, including I would have thought the Paddington Branch but perhaps not the Regents canal, being anywhere other than centre channel is making life hard work for yourself becaueof depth, overhanging vegetation whatever, so only leave centre channel when you have to

Patrick is right you shouldn't steer 'keeping right' all the time - apart from anything else it's washing silt into the channel (unless you happen to be in it e.g. on a left hand bend) and reducing its depth. I was taught to keep to the centre of the channel which may or may not be (but often isn't) in the exact centre of the navigation,- it's often a bit one side or the other even on a straight for a variety of reasons. The behaviour of your boat (it will pull towards the deeper water), the feel of the tiller and any wash on one side or the other will tell you where the channel is unless your boat has a very shallow draft. On a bend I always keep to the outside, partly because that is where the 'deep' water is likely to be (there may be exceptions as on the tidal Trent, or, curiously on the Leicester summit in places) and also so anyone coming the other way will see me at the earliest opportunity. If it's a right hand bend then I am obviously over to the left but being in the deeper water I can move over pretty quickly and act accordingly. Keeping to the right on a RH bend can mean cutting the corner and heading off into the left bank or going aground (or both)!

Regards

David L

I just stick my left arm out to make or respond to a request to pass on the left.

TC

I've had an arm wave/stuck out at me several times and never know whether it means they are going to go that side, or if they want me to go that side.

I've had a few crazy frantic hand signals done at me this year and when the boats are level have been on the receiving end of comments like "I did do a hand signal to let you know what I was doing". I usually point out that hand signals are a waste of time unless both parties know what they mean!

Our boat is very deep in the water and sometimes it is better for us to pass on the left . For example, when the pound levels are low in the Braunston flight we can run aground on the off side, most people understand when Jan explains that she needs to keep the boat over on the towpath side, but we always seem to come across one a***hole who insists on his (It's always a man!!) "right" to pass on the right hand side.They are usually modern boats wiith about the same draught as a floating cork who's owners seem to have no concept of older boats being deeper.

Obviously if the boat approaching is equally deep (or deeper) we will stay on the correct side, but pass very slowly and about a metre to the right of the channel centre, something else which bobbing corks seem unable to do.

I was descending Napton recently in a boat deeper than yours,and 70 foot to boot.

As I entered the bottom lock I could see an old pair below which were paired up on the lock landing to lhe left. It was "Success" and the other one who's name escapes me.

I waved down to move over, as to get through the bridge I needed the channel from lock straight through, and the guy just signalled and then stuck two fingers up at me.He obviously thought he was the only guy in the world with a working pair and my boat could squeeze round the side.

The boat I was moving was probably 3'4" due to the water in the engine and back cabin bilges so I walked down before opening the gates to ask him to split the pair (he couldn't ascend as a pair as it is narrow locks).

He chuntered,swore, and said I could go round. However, I noticed the pair werent strapped, just centre line running over , and back and not tied.

I came out of the lock, I could see he realised it was a "proper" boat, too late , I came out at quite high revs, then engaged reverse to throw water forwards separating his boats, then just nosed into the gap and pushed through.

he swore several more times.

I agree that this is a silly interpretation for narrow canals, but maybe the person who is suggesting this is more used to working with the Col Regs. where Rule 9 a) obliges you to keep over as far as possible to the right hand side when proceeding along narrow channels not just when overtaking; maybe someone who is used to the more lumpy stuff?

Howard

Or someone who is more used to steering a car??

Had a not too dissimilar situation not so long ago. Answers on a postcard please, which side you'd choose in this scenario:

DSC_1330reduced_zps6489563a.jpg

The answer is obvious. The boater in front of you appears to be wearing the correct apparel, and therefor has right of way. Follow him at all times.

• Greenie 1

I just stick my left arm out to make or respond to a request to pass on the left.

TC

Err - but surely passing port to port (left to left) is the proper way to meet another boat? The problem with hand signals is they have no agreed meaning and don't form any part of approved signals in any rules or regulations. Are you perhaps trying to say you stick an arm out to indicate you are moving to left (port) yourself and want to pass on the non-conventional side i.e. you are using hand signals in the way we used to use them on the road in"the good old days", to indicate the way you yourself are moving?

Boat signals should only ever do that - i.e. indicate what you are doing. They are no good for telling someone else what they should do, and I can't think of any regulations that provide for one boater to tell another what he should do.

Tam

Yes I use hand signals to indicate what I am intending to do just like in the old highway code. I also back that up by steering the boat in that direction. I imagine that most boates are of a vintage to remember when hand signals formed part of their driving test and of course the are still used on bikes.

TC

I imagine that most boates are of a vintage to remember when hand signals formed part of their driving test and of course the are still used on bikes.

TC

Ah yes, I always stick my hand out to the right & wave it in circles when I want to turn left on my push bike. It confuses the hell out off the car drivers.

Well here is a postcard from yesterday.

Hand signals didn't make a lot of difference to the punts, who ambled around all over the place.

We didn't hit any - though one did bump into us. A great trip - you can just see WILLOW in front of us.

punting.JPG

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Are those punts the Cambridge equivalent of hire boats on the K&A?

Not sure - I am ashamed to say I've not yet been on the K&A.

Anyway, this is a case where I clearly needed to follow the local boating practices, rather than sound five blasts on my hooter...

Getting rid of my 15 year old car beginning of February - I was wondering if I should remove the indicators and controls so that we could have left & right indicators on our narrowboat, then everyone can see clearly our intentions, eh? If we engage the hazard warning flashers, that means we can stop anywhere, right?

Getting rid of my 15 year old car beginning of February - I was wondering if I should remove the indicators and controls so that we could have left & right indicators on our narrowboat, then everyone can see clearly our intentions, eh? If we engage the hazard warning flashers, that means we can stop anywhere, right?

No, not anywhere, only outside newsagents on double yellow lines :)

Completely smiley_offtopic.gif but are those punt poles strong enough to be used as a shaft on a NB?

I don't think so, and the wooden ones look to be pine rather than ash. They are a good length and I had the same thought as you, so had a good look at them.

..........Dave

stair case hand rails from a timber yard preserve them with coloured cuprinol to match boat

just a point noticed broken pole thrown into hedge above cropredy lock perfect for kindling I hope some one clears some one elses rubbish up.

Just add the badge off a BMW or Mercedes and of course you can stop anywhere.

I don't think so, and the wooden ones look to be pine rather than ash. They are a good length and I had the same thought as you, so had a good look at them.

..........Dave

There's no law which says that boat shafts have to be ash. Spruce used to be used for some, but I think they were generally 'grown' poles rather than machined from a big tree.

Tim