stourbridge 16

kinver68

Featured Posts

• 3 weeks later...

Did the 16 and the Delph yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Mind you, when we got to the top of the Delph every bottom gate was open. I know a lot of them swing open of their own accord but not every one of them.Never mind.

Col

Did the 16 and the Delph yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Mind you, when we got to the top of the Delph every bottom gate was open. I know a lot of them swing open of their own accord but not every one of them.Never mind.

Col

We did them (twice) two years ago, and found them really quite easy, I was even able to use my short throw bronze Windlass. It was so quiet that I was able to cycle on and set the next lock without any fear of meeting another boat. The towpath, on the other hand, was quite busy with local people, many of whom commented that it was unusual to see a boat going through the locks during the week.

Edited by David Schweizer

http://samsonandlion.co.uk/ The best thing about the Stourbridge 16. Right alongside lock 5. Friendly people and a great pint. On Sunday lunchtimes we have found free bar snacks too. On our first visit it was a bowl of chips and bread'n'butter, just make your own chip butties. On our way back the following week it was slices of veal and ham pie. We call it Black Country tapas.

http://samsonandlion.co.uk/ The best thing about the Stourbridge 16. Right alongside lock 5. Friendly people and a great pint. On Sunday lunchtimes we have found free bar snacks too. On our first visit it was a bowl of chips and bread'n'butter, just make your own chip butties. On our way back the following week it was slices of veal and ham pie. We call it Black Country tapas.

Great pub! Black Country Tapas :lol: So accurate :lol:

I love the 16, not such a fan of the Delph 9 though.

Lee.

• 3 weeks later...

That's good info Pophops, cos it doesn't look like much from the canal. We kept going down the flight when we passed it earlier this year, but we'll more than likely pop in next time now. Cheers cheers.gif

Missed this thread the first time; we did it last summer on the way to Birmingham. Had a couple of (unofficial) volunteers appeared out of nowhere to help us. One, a cheerful Geordie, lovely guy, and the other I think was called John. He was thrilled to ride up on the stern with me between locks.

A great experience.