Searching for New Dawn

prhenry58

Featured Posts

Hello all,

I am trying to track down a narrowboat which was sold approximately seven years ago +/- a year at a marina in Northampton. Her name at the time was New Dawn. At the time, she also had the following:

45 foot Traditional stern

Gasless boat

Diesel stove cooker

Barrus 30hp diesel engine with an alternator and generator

2hp portable generator

Sterling battery charger/inverter

I have more details I can provide, but I thought it best to start simple.

If there is a better forum for this topic please inform me. Also, if there is another way of tracking down boats (registry information, or sale history) please inform me as well.

We are only interested in knowing what became of her as she was a special boat.

Kind regards,

Paul

Would the new owners like the attention?there is a web site that will say if it has been licenced to date i think.which would tell you its alive and kicking.

If it's this one - - it's still alive and kicking:

New Dawn Built by J.D.Narrowboats - Length 13.716 metres ( 45 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.01 ( 0 feet ). Metal hull, power of 28 BHP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 515692 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on Wednesday 22nd May 2013.

prhenry68/Paul,

Welcome to the forum,

As you will have already worked out - there may be any number of reasons why somebody wishes to track down a boat - some of those reasons will be completely honest, some completely innocuous, and some possibly suspicious.

Without wishing to cast any aspersions upon your motives, our past experiences will make us cautious - for all the best reasons.

IF the owner of your New Dawn (whichever one it may be) sees your post - or another member is able to bring it to their attention, AND they wish to contact you, then I will be delighted to put them in touch with you.

I remember looking at a boat called New Dawn a handful of years ago. She had been moored on the Thames for a while and was advertised for sale on Apolloduck.

I called the advertiser only to find that she was heading up to Whilton Marina for brokerage. I went up there to take a look and decided that there were too many things I did not like and was not about to haggle on price.

She was about 45 feet long, and the fitout was attractive, if a little dark. I recall bow fronted cabinets stood out from the norm.

I learned that day that viewing boats in utterly foul weather had its merits, as rain was dribbling in through the light fittings in the saloon ceiling and the floor in the engine room was floating on about a foot of water!

Thank you for all of your replies. I especially appreciate Site Crew for being straight with me as now I am clear.

Although our intentions are honest and innocuous, I fully understand the reason needed for caution. Feel free to cast aspersions on me, as my ex wife and ex mother in law did it all the time.

For added information, we are Americans writing from the United States. As such, you'll probably see many more daft questions that I post.

By the by, it is 5:30pm where I am, shouldn't you all be at pub quiz now???

Thank you for all of your replies. I especially appreciate Site Crew for being straight with me as now I am clear.

Although our intentions are honest and innocuous, I fully understand the reason needed for caution. Feel free to cast aspersions on me, as my ex wife and ex mother in law did it all the time.

For added information, we are Americans writing from the United States. As such, you'll probably see many more daft questions that I post.

I would be at the pub quiz - but most of them here are held during the quieter business nights (Monday thro' Wednesday) in an attempt to drum up business .

It's such a struggle to sup good beer and tax the grey matter - - - - but we manage thanks!

(And we'll happily answer (some of) the daft questions! ;)

No-one's casting aspersions, just explaining why posts like this get a cool reception.

There was once a case on here where it turned out a boat was being sought so the occupier could be given a good kicking by the mates of his recently jilted girlfriend. She didn't put it quite like that in her post requesting information about the boat's whereabouts. Hence the need for caution.

Anyway why would we need to be doing a pub quiz? Posts on here can be FAR more entertaining!

MtB

Well you nosy little SOB, why don't you mind your own business!

There, do you feel at home now?

Welcome to the forum.

cheers.giflaugh.pngcheers.gif

I see what you mean when you say it's special. It's got no draft!

How do you get 28bhp in the water with no draft?

The details found by Grace & Favour just said 28bhp, nothing about "in the water". Assuming the registered data is accurate, the logical conclusion is that it's a hovercraft. But would that be enough power to keep it hovering with a metal hull? Long ago I rented a room from a man who had a small business making things from GRP and built small hovercraft as a hobby. He had the shell of one in the back garden, made of GRP, presumably to keep the weight down.

I'm not sure how well a long narrow hovercraft would handle, and I imagine CRT would refuse to license one on noise grounds.

The details found by Grace & Favour just said 28bhp, nothing about "in the water". Assuming the registered data is accurate, the logical conclusion is that it's a hovercraft. But would that be enough power to keep it hovering with a metal hull? Long ago I rented a room from a man who had a small business making things from GRP and built small hovercraft as a hobby. He had the shell of one in the back garden, made of GRP, presumably to keep the weight down.

I'm not sure how well a long narrow hovercraft would handle, and I imagine CRT would refuse to license one on noise grounds.

Point of order M'Lud.

According to our esteemed Mr Moore CRT can't refuse a license provided the vessel has insurance, a BSS and something else really obvious but I can never remember what. Maybe it is the appropriate fee is paid...

MtB

Actually rereading the OP I am certain I viewed that same boat. Seeing as I had gone all the way up to Whilton I viewed a few more on the same visit. A horrible wet day as I recall.

I had my reasons not to buy New Dawn or indeed any of the boats I saw and kept the boat I already had until only this summer.

No idea what became of New Dawn though.

Edited by john_r