Reasons for not allowing continuous on line mooring.

Theo

Featured Posts

Yes. Most threads on here about visitor mooring in London say it's available but you have to plan carefully.

That would be much like going there by car.

There's also a lot to say that liveaboards in London have made safe areas that previously you would not have walked or boated in.

You are missing the point by concentrating on the little man. Look up and check out his mates too. It's not one boat quietly keeping out of the way, it's 200 boats in a restricted area all jockeying for space and convinced they are the true owners and custodians of the canal. If they were forced to cruise then at least half would move ashore and the rest would be spread around the whole system and not just 10 miles near some city. Do you really believe that the liveaboard CC situation in London has not ruined our capital city as a cruising destination?

So 200+ people have somewhere to live and you're whining because you can't cruise how you used/want to in London? You'll forgive me for thinking you've got slightly skewed priorities.

So 200+ people have somewhere to live and you're whining because you can't cruise how you used/want to in London? You'll forgive me for thinking you've got slightly skewed priorities.

Not at all, I am more than ready to hold this disgraceful government to account for their record.

Don't play the "More liberal than you" card unless you have homeless people sleeping on your floor.

This is "Canal world". We care about waterways and if the use of a waterway AS a waterway is impaired by residential use we have every right to protest it and that doesn't make homelessness my fault.

As for whining about cruising in London, That's what the waterway is for!

No, I guess you can't.

I have no intention of entering into an infantile pissing contest.

• Greenie 1

Not at all, I am more than ready to hold this disgraceful government to account for their record.

Don't play the "More liberal than you" card unless you have homeless people sleeping on your floor.

This is "Canal world". We care about waterways and if the use of a waterway AS a waterway is impaired by residential use we have every right to protest it and that doesn't make homelessness my fault.

I have no intention of entering into an infantile pissing contest.

Having failed at any sort of serious debate that has a different point of view from yours, I wouldn't recommend that you do.

There have been many threads on this forum explaining exactly how you can cruise in London. You are basing your argument on the false premise "I haven't been to London for 3 years because I can't " which falls on the evidence.

As for safer; ask the boaters that moor there.

I'm not a liberal, there's nothing more insulting you could call me, frankly. The waterways are for whatever people use them for. If that's as a housing estate then that's what they're for. This might be a forum about canals but canals as you're aware do not exist in a bubble and they can't exist at all without a significant government grant - that is to say they're paid for by the rest of society. The housing situation is not going to get better, it's going to get worse. The knock of this is more people not less are going to be coming to the cut looking for cheap housing as ill-advised as that is, it's a fact. London is leading the way in this as it is with the housing crisis but other areas are and will follow. A new canal age? Perhaps, it's certainly a potential opportunity as much as it is a threat. It might scare off a few of the more uptight canal users, I can live with that.

I'd like to see London like a 19th century maritime painting, crammed with boats of all kinds.

Who was it who said at one point you could practically walk across the Thames on the ships? I remember a painting of one of the London back rivers where you could only just thread a narrow way through all the boats - who didn't moor in neat rows like now.

Bring it on.

Having failed at any sort of serious debate that has a different point of view from yours, I wouldn't recommend that you do.

There have been many threads on this forum explaining exactly how you can cruise in London. You are basing your argument on the false premise "I haven't been to London for 3 years because I can't " which falls on the evidence.

You know nothing about me but have written me off as a moron. You willingness to get personal dissuades me from bothering to try and engage with you. Your level of debate is superficial and patronising and you mistake yourself for some kind of intellectual athlete. Message ends.

Indeed, more bike thefts, smashed windows, stolen gennys, mooring stakes being stolen....a lot safer

All thats happend is the scum have lots of new green victims to play with, along with boater scum stealing from other boaters.

Thankfully there are some of the London Boaters who look out for each other but theres a lot of others having to learn the hard way

I'm not a liberal, there's nothing more insulting you could call me, frankly. The waterways are for whatever people use them for. If that's as a housing estate then that's what they're for.

So basically you advocate anarchy, where whoever is most prepared to impose their ideas of how things should be wind.

Sod the fact that the overwhelming majority want something different, just get in there and take it.

Of course, once you've appropriated the canals for housing and there are no moorings for people who want to use them for cruising, you will apply the same logic that the canals are for whatever people use them as if the local residents turn them into a sewer or if NC decides to move her speedboating from Lincoln to London.

No,of course not. The right to Do as you please is for you to ride roughshod over others, not for them to do it to you isn't it?

• Greenie 2

So basically you advocate anarchy, where whoever is most prepared to impose their ideas of how things should be wind.

Sod the fact that the overwhelming majority want something different, just get in there and take it.

Of course, once you've appropriated the canals for housing and there are no moorings for people who want to use them for cruising, you will apply the same logic that the canals are for whatever people use them as if the local residents turn them into a sewer or if NC decides to move her speedboating from Lincoln to London.

No,of course not. The right to Do as you please is for you to ride roughshod over others, not for them to do it to you isn't it?

The overwhelming majority of who, where? I've said this before, my ideas about CCing and leaving people alone are nothing to do with my situation, I have a residential mooring with planning permission and I pay council tax. I am able, unlike some it seems, to look beyond my own circumstances and apply a principle regardless of whether it works to my personal advantage or against it.

• Greenie 2

I think he's advocating putting the basics of some peoples lives before someone elses hobby.

It's the same on a lot of camping sites throughout Britain. As Lady Muck was saying earlier, I've never seen so many people living in mobile accomodation. These aren't your EU immigrants, these are plasterer's from Essex etc.

Edited by boathunter

I think he's advocating putting the basics of some peoples lives before someone elses hobby.

It's the same on a lot of camping sites throughout Britain. As Lady Muck was saying earlier, I've never seen so many people living in mobile accomodation. These aren't your EU immigrants, these are plasterer's from Essex etc.

Surely a much easier, and cheaper for the individuals concerned, way of solving London's housing problem would be to convert Hyde Park into a caravan site.

George ex nb Alton retired

What's more likely to happen with the influx of people to the cut looking for cheap housing and the raft of anti CC sentiment and resulting pressure on CaRT to act is that bridge you keep seeing a boat moored at will still have a boat moored at it, it'll just be a different boat every so often rather than the same boat.

What's actually happening, right now, where I cruise, is those moorings by those bridges are all being turned into 48 hour visitor moorings. They're not near anything that warrants a visitor mooring, but I think it's C&RT's way of making bridge hopping that bit more difficult. It affects other boaters too, like me, who have a mooring, but like to chug more of the system than can be reached in a holiday and therefore leave a boat between weekends.

Casp'

Surely a much easier, and cheaper for the individuals concerned, way of solving London's housing problem would be to convert Hyde Park into a caravan site.

How about move some of the jobs further out of London, there are plenty of places with loads of unemployed people, trouble is they keep expanding London...

Edited by casper ghost

How about move some of the jobs further out of London, there are plenty of places with loads of unemployed people, trouble is they keep expanding London...

True, my posting was meant to be sarcastic in response to those who feel it legitimate to convert canals into linear housing estates to solve social housing problems not of the waterways making.

We can take this a stage further. Many canals, especially in London, are wide enough for two or even three abreast houseboat flats on both banks. Just look how many could be housed, especially if moving wide beams are banned, just leaving room for two narrowboats to pass (in strictly limited numbers of course, to avoid upsetting the new "owners" of the canals).

The overwhelming majority of who, where? I've said this before, my ideas about CCing and leaving people alone are nothing to do with my situation, I have a residential mooring with planning permission and I pay council tax. I am able, unlike some it seems, to look beyond my own circumstances and apply a principle regardless of whether it works to my personal advantage or against it.

Verging on the apathetic. ?

I wouldn't say that, I've decided on the back of the discussions on here to join NBTA

Will they have you? You're not a traveler with your residential mooring.

I'd (maybe incorrectly) assumed that being a boater living on the bank I would not be welcome either, but if that's wrong I'm inclined to join too.

MtB

I like tick over. Plenty to see and enjoy. What's the rush?

Some boats run to a schedule with crew changes that take place at specific places - train tickets have been bought well in advance and other transport arranged hence the need to be at a certain place on time.

23 hours lost stuck in a bridgehole takes a bit to try and make up as much as you can without doing any damage to the infrastructure.

I personally would be in favour of putting the onus on a moored boat to do it properly and not have to be up and down on the speed wheel all the time.

What's actually happening, right now, where I cruise, is those moorings by those bridges are all being turned into 48 hour visitor moorings. ...

Unfortunately that is part of the problem they are setting up those 48 hour moorings in parts of the country where they are not universally welcome but doing practically nothing in London.

Visitors to London in the main need and traditionally only used a relatively low number of the more secure moorings, Little Venice, Islington, Springfield etc, if use of the main moorings could be restricted so that they are more available to visitors then the problems and conflicts between different types of boaters would be resolved with very little impact on the London ccers.

Whether the numbers cruising (mooring on the towpath) solely within central London should be allowed to continue to grow is another argument.