NBTA London Legal Rights Meeting

NBTA London

Featured Posts

Unsure about your legal rights as a boater? Want to find out what the recent introduction of neighbourhood maps and minimum travelling distances could mean for you?

Boaters without a home mooring, especially those new to the water, need to understand their legal rights, and how these may differ from Canal and River Trust (CRT) guidance. At a time when CRT is increasing enforcement and pushing new guidance in terms of maps and minimum travel distances we all need to get knowledgable about what we should do if we receive a warning letter or are threatened with legal action.

The National Bargee Travelers Association (NBTA) have a wealth of knowledge to share on these issues, built up over many years advising boat dwellers and working directly with legal representatives. Join us for a briefing in London on Thursday 6th November where you can learn about your legal rights and what to do if you encounter CRT enforcement, and put your questions direct to NBTA's experts.

Reserve Your Place Now

What introduction of maps and minimum distance would that be then? Edited by jenlyn

Unsure about your legal rights as a boater? Want to find out what the recent introduction of neighbourhood maps and minimum travelling distances could mean for you?
Boaters without a home mooring, especially those new to the water, need to understand their legal rights, and how these may differ from Canal and River Trust (CRT) guidance. At a time when CRT is increasing enforcement – and pushing new guidance in terms of maps and minimum travel distances – we all need to get knowledgable about what we should do if we receive a warning letter or are threatened with legal action.
The National Bargee Travelers Association (NBTA) have a wealth of knowledge to share on these issues, built up over many years advising boat dwellers and working directly with legal representatives. Join us for a briefing in London on Thursday 6th November where you can learn about your legal rights and what to do if you encounter CRT enforcement, and put your questions direct to NBTA's experts.

Reserve Your Place Now

Well, where to start;

1) Neighbourhood maps have not been introduced recently

2) Surely, given its history of abject failure in court, it is NBTA that needs to understand legal rights.

3) Experts?

Surely this is a joke and belongs in the VP

• Greenie 2

That is seriously in doubt isn't it, other wise the NBTA would know even just with the tiniest bit of research that such maps and areas do not in fact exist. So you are going to invite boaters to a meeting wind them up with mis information, for what purpose I wonder? - to further increase boaters animosity towards CRT perhaps?

Mr NBTA - here is a link to the revised webpage for the "maps and places" that you refer to - it may help if yo have a look at it

https://places.crtrust.org.uk/places#lat:52.95096250690584,lng:-1.073774243594352,zoom:14

logo-v2.png

This was a development site that the Canal & River Trust were using to consult with national boating organisations over the concept of places and their associated maps. This consultation is continuing, but we no longer need to have the development site running and so it has been removed. We will, of course, share more information with our customers, and be happy to accept feedback, once our discussions with national boating organisations have concluded

• Greenie 1

Mr NBTA - here is a link to the revised webpage for the "maps and places" that you refer to - it may help if yo have a look at it

https://places.crtrust.org.uk/places#lat:52.95096250690584,lng:-1.073774243594352,zoom:14

This was a development site that the Canal & River Trust were using to consult with national boating organisations over the concept of places and their associated maps. This consultation is continuing, but we no longer need to have the development site running and so it has been removed. We will, of course, share more information with our customers, and be happy to accept feedback, once our discussions with national boating organisations have concluded

As the site says,

First, CaRT introduced maps which, I understand, were leaked via the website you quote

Then they were withdrawn.

They are now discussing the maps again with some of the boating organisations.

Later, they will be introduced again.

Is this fair for normal boaters who wish to move around system and moor without hindrance.

i.e boats on water points long term, boats on visitor moorings long term.

No, that isn't fair. And CRT are entitled to move boats without notice if they are causing an obstruction.

The purpose of the meeting is to give people a chance to find out what rights they have, not to assist people in breaking the law.

Unsure about your legal rights as a boater? Want to find out ......

No point listening to the NBTA, everyone they have been involved with has lost their cases or been kicked off the waterways.

Along with Nick Brown losing his own case....

• Greenie 1

As the site says,

First, CaRT introduced maps which, I understand, were leaked via the website you quote

Then they were withdrawn.

They are now discussing the maps again with some of the boating organisations.

Later, they will be introduced again.

Are you sure they are discussing this with the boating organisations? Where did you get that information?

Do you know how they intend to use those maps?

cotswoldsman, on 03 Oct 2014 - 6:17 PM, said:cotswoldsman, on 03 Oct 2014 - 6:17 PM, said:

Are you sure they are discussing this with the boating organisations? Where did you get that information?

It is part of the C&RT statement (see post #5)

(Maybe they are just awaiting IWA approval before they re-launch the maps judge.gif )

Edited by Alan de Enfield

No point listening to the NBTA, everyone they have been involved with has lost their cases or been kicked off the waterways.

Along with Nick Brown losing his own case....

Actually, Nick Brown didn't lose his case. He was advised to withdraw it because it would have been of little relevance to continue with a judicial review of the guidance without a specific context in which it was being applied. As it was, the Judge's comments on the case were far from what CaRT wanted to hear.

It is precisely because of misinformation such as this being spread by CaRT that the meeting has been arranged.cotswoldsman, on 03 Oct 2014 - 6:17 PM, said:

Do you know how they intend to use those maps?

I got it from the website quoted above, where they said

"We will, of course, share more information with our customers, and be happy to accept feedback, once our discussions with national boating organisations have concluded."

And no, I don't know how they intend to use the maps (assuming it could be different from what they said before).

Am I alone in getting a but fed up with people who beat on about their "rights" but never refer to any "obligations"

I don't think that's a fair comment, David. I have just posted that "the purpose of the meeting is to give people a chance to find out what rights they have, not to assist people in breaking the law." And in particular, I said that it is wrong to moor for extended periods on water points etc.

It is part of the C&RT statement (see post #5)

(Maybe they are just awaiting IWA approval before they re-launch the maps :judge: )

They must be because I attended the Associations meeting last week and was informed that the maps have been put on the backboiler so to speak and were never discussed

Actually, Nick Brown didn't lose his case. He was advised to withdraw it because it would have been of little relevance to continue with a judicial review of the guidance without a specific context in which it was being applied. As it was, the Judge's comments on the case were far from what CaRT wanted to hear.

It is precisely because of misinformation such as this being spread by CaRT that the meeting has been arranged.cotswoldsman, on 03 Oct 2014 - 6:17 PM, said:

I got it from the website quoted above, where they said

"We will, of course, share more information with our customers, and be happy to accept feedback, once our discussions with national boating organisations have concluded."

And no, I don't know how they intend to use the maps (assuming it could be different from what they said before).

I don't think that's a fair comment, David. I have just posted that "the purpose of the meeting is to give people a chance to find out what rights they have, not to assist people in breaking the law." And in particular, I said that it is wrong to moor for extended periods on water points etc.

I was told years ago never believe everything you read on the internet because 1 second after it is posted it becomes yesterday's news and is soon forgotten Edited by cotswoldsman

I have no recollection of suggesting that you wish to "assist people in breaking the Law" so to use that as a qualifying observation is inappropriate. As a former Trades Union Regional Sectetary, I have some relevant experience in establishing what "rights" people have, But rights are almost invariably accompanied by obligations and to discuss one without the other is to misrepresent those who you seek to support.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 4

The purpose of the meeting is to give people a chance to find out what rights they have, not to assist people in breaking the law.

However, given that NBTA hasn't a clue what the law IS, merely what they would like it to be, and given that the only string to their bow is to try to claim that they are something that they aren't (which is an insult to genuine travellers), your advice on the law is of little use.

Am I alone in getting a but fed up with people who beat on about their "rights" but never refer to any "obligations"

Nope. I'm with you all the way on that one.

Trouble is most CMers, and the apologists here for them, don't seem understand or grasp the constitutional bargain that grants the rights in return for observing the obligations.

Nice Viognier, this.

MtB

• Greenie 1

However, given that NBTA hasn't a clue what the law IS, merely what they would like it to be, and given that the only string to their bow is to try to claim that they are something that they aren't (which is an insult to genuine travellers), your advice on the law is of little use.

I have to say, I have more respect for NBTA than I do for you. I give them credit for actually doing, something. Where as you just spout as a keyboard warrior, in my oopinion.

Quite a lot of what you spout is rubbish as well, which is possibly why some of the "debates" on here are carp.