I Have been Deemed Not to Be A Continuous Cruiser

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

I am going to try and make this a short post. I have been trying to sort out my Winter Mooring for some reason the CRT system shows that I have a home mooring though I have been CCing for 8 years. During that time I have cruised about 4,000 miles. Anyway was told yesterday that they would sort out the problem so have just been on the phone again to be told that I have been referred to enforcement someone called Pardeen in licencing says the enforcement logging system shows me as just moving between 2 places and I guess that is correct as this year I have moved from Gloucester to west of Wigan and yes have to admit that is 2 places but quite a long way apart and I did go via Birmingham.

Seems like things are going from bad to worse still seems like I am to be investigated and someone from licencing will call me back.

I am going to try and make this a short post. I have been trying to sort out my Winter Mooring for some reason the CRT system shows that I have a home mooring though I have been CCing for 8 years. During that time I have cruised about 4,000 miles. Anyway was told yesterday that they would sort out the problem so have just been on the phone again to be told that I have been referred to enforcement someone called Pardeen in licencing says the enforcement logging system shows me as just moving between 2 places and I guess that is correct as this year I have moved from Gloucester to west of Wigan and yes have to admit that is 2 places but quite a long way apart and I did go via Birmingham.

Seems like things are going from bad to worse still seems like I am to be investigated and someone from licencing will call me back.

Show em your blog!!!!!

Seriously though this has got to be some sort of joke or monumental cock up. Either way it calls into doubt the credibility of CRT big style.

John, you should know who to call on this, if you don't PM me.

Thanks Laurence but yes I do know who to phone but I am lucky in that respect but it does raise concerns for boaters who don't

Show em your blog!!!!!

Seriously though this has got to be some sort of joke or monumental cock up. Either way it calls into doubt the credibility of CRT big style.

I stopped doing my blog in May as it was becoming repeating as this is about my third time round the system I guess that is now classed as moving between 2 places

Ah, I know why.

Last year you went from Rufford to the Gloucester and Sharpness.

This year you have returned.

A -B- A

Do not pass go, do not collect a winter mooring permit, go straight to jail.

Ah thanks Matt now I understand and the year before it was worse I went from Rufford to Ripon (via Liverpool) on the Leeds and Liverpool and from Ripon to Rufford on the Rochdale Canal so guess that was from A to A

John, you should know who to call on this, if you don't PM me.

The ghost of Sally Ash lives on.

Never mind though, you'll be OK, you know Laurence Hogg.

The ghost of Sally Ash lives on.

Never mind though, you'll be OK, you know Laurence Hogg.

Hehe talking of Sally Ash it actually myself and Jenlyn that originally proposed the General Towpath Winter Moorings to Sally in 2013 and after much negotiation were agreed by CRT and have now been deemed by CRT to have been a great success and also by many cc'ers. Seems like I am not going to be able to try one myself.

Your restrained understatement is commendable! Clearly the logging "system" is somewhat inadequate.

I have a copy of my logging for 18 months up until July when I was in Norbury but seems Leeds must have a different log than the one I was sent.

Ah thanks Matt now I understand and the year before it was worse I went from Rufford to Ripon (via Liverpool) on the Leeds and Liverpool and from Ripon to Rufford on the Rochdale Canal so guess that was from A to A

If you are restricting your movements to such a small stretch of water I would consider it entirely reasonable that C&RT would require you to demonstrate that you are a genuine CCer.....ninja.gif

Firstly when I called vis the 0303 number was told they were not available and secondly because this just happens to coincide with a number of discussions concerning both the CRT logging system and some of the things that effect CCers and thirdly because this is a discussion forum about matters boating g and felt this problem ticked all the boxes.

Edited by cotswoldsman
  • Greenie 4

What matters is what you have done in the past year and not the previous seven years. If a mistake has been made, why not give CRT the opportunity to sort it out before criticising them in public?

What matters is what you have done in the past year and not the previous seven years. If a mistake has been made, why not give CRT the opportunity to sort it out before criticising them in public?

Why should they not be criticised in public? It's perfectly reasonable that any and all failings of a body charged with maintaining and administering our waterways should be held up to the closest possible scrutiny by us.

I seem to recall someone raising the question as to whether the logging system of CRT was fit for purpose or not recently.......

• Greenie 1

Yes I do know it is based on recent cruising and I criticise them as you like to say in public because I like others am allowed to rant and because as I said in the other answer the logging system has been much debated the fact that I was shown to still have a home mooring does not bother me du much it does go back to BW but to be told I was not cruising enough has really annoyed me

I stopped doing my blog in May as it was becoming repeating as this is about my third time round the system

Three times around the same system!??

It is no surprise CRT are questioning whether you are compliant or not.

Whilst you have been restricting yourself to the same system over and over again some of us have been on CRT waters, the Broads, PLA, EA, CHA and open sea....Now that's giving Fido a Bone.

Three times around the same system!??

It is no surprise CRT are questioning whether you are compliant or not.

Whilst you have been restricting yourself to the same system over and over again some of us have been on CRT waters, the Broads, PLA, EA, CHA and open sea....Now that's giving Fido a Bone.

Hehe well i have done the Severn and the Weaver this year and the complete length of the Bridgewater still have Stan who cruises with me on his boat worried now and as he does not do Internet well he is 79 he is expecting to be jailed soon :)

When we are having debates about whether perhaps 15 miles of canal in a year constitutes CC'ing then covering Sharpness to Wigan and being accused of not complying isn't just a mistake is it. Even if those were the only two places John's boat was observed CRT should think twice before investigating him for non-compliance!

One problem of the debate over whether short distances are adequate (which is in part brought about by people only travelling short distances) is that those making "a progressive journey" can be caught up in enforcement by a system that is looking only at very small lengths of canal

When we are having debates about whether perhaps 15 miles of canal in a year constitutes CC'ing then covering Sharpness to Wigan and being accused of not complying isn't just a mistake is it. Even if those were the only two places John's boat was observed CRT should think twice before investigating him for non-compliance!

One problem of the debate over whether short distances are adequate (which is in part brought about by people only travelling short distances) is that those making "a progressive journey" can be caught up in enforcement by a system that is looking only at very small lengths of canal

I don't claim to know much about the rules of CCing but I thought that those without a home mooring had to engage in some sort of continuous journey rather than spending most of the time in a couple of places. If a mistake has been made it should be easily sorted out.

I don't claim to know much about the rules of CCing but I thought that those without a home mooring had to engage in some sort of continuous journey rather than spending most of the time in a couple of places. If a mistake has been made it should be easily sorted out.

You would think so wouldn't you, - but the point is surely what has led them to believe somebody who cruises so extensively has come onto the radar, it calls into question the reliability of the accusations they have made against others potentially, particularly those who don't move any where near as much as John does, that is why it's a matter of 'public interest' even if John's case does turn out to be easily sorted.

Edited by The Dog House

You would think so wouldn't you, - but the point is surely what has led them to believe somebody who cruises so extensively has come onto the radar, it calls into question the reliability of the accusations they have made against others potentially, particularly those who don't move any where near as much as John does, that is why it's a matter of 'public interest' even if John's case does turn out to be easily sorted.

I'm surprised someone hasn't turned up on here saying "no smoke without fire".

Fire it into them John!

Bob