Illegal fish stunning on CRT waters

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

It is illegal to kill them ,of course with out the correct license and the correct calibre of weapon.

ie

The rifle serial number xxxxxxxx 308/7.62mm and the 308/7.62 ammunition shall be used for shooting deer and any other lawful quarry on land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

The certificate holder may possess, purchase or acquire expanding ammunition or the missiles of such ammunition, in the calibres authorised by this certificate and use only in connection with :

1) The lawful shooting of deer

2) The shooting of vermin or, in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife.

3) The humane killing of any animal

4) The shooting of any animal for the protection of other animals or humans.

It is illegal to just shoot a deer "anywhere" without (correctly) going thru a whole rigmarole of legislation - hopefully he was prosecuted and had his FAC withdrawn (if he had one). This sort of thing gets shooters a bad name.

Sadly you don't have to cast the net too far these days

Perhaps you should comment on the Inane post by Archie if you want to highlight offensive slagging and myopic picking on groups.

Edited by mark99

And as boaters do not have landlines we have to pay to call the 0800 number on our mobile phones. Why not have a normal 01, 02 type number that is included in our standard 'free' calls on our contracts.

http://www.0800buster.co.uk/

0333 555 8800 counts as your inclusive minutes.

It asks you to dial the number you want followed by the hash key.

That's a hard concept to grasp. For example, I own the waterway which flows along the front of my property, but only up to half way across. So if a fish repeatedly swims from one side of the river to the other, then back again, does it become my property, then cease to be my property, then become my property again, etc. etc?

Interesting point as water moves how can anyone own it. You can own the bank and have fishing rights but nobody can actually own the water. 5 minutes ago it belonged to the fellow up the road and 5 minutes from now it will belong to the fellow in the opposite direction.

I have seen signs along the canals stating in English about removal of fish. The same sign had the message in a language I do not recognize.

These signs were put up by either BW or CRT. I seem to remember one at bottom of the Marsworth flight.

Now because of the non English translation does this make the water authority racist by picking on the nationality who the translation addresses.

Perhaps they used this particular language because they had caught someone of that nationality.

The other thing is that Laurence tagged Eastern European in his post so guess the evidence must be fairly strong

yes the offenders are Eastern Europeans

Can we have your evidence that this was down to Eastern Europeans please? Rather than just being an assumption.

I don't condone the mass killing of fish but I didn't think it was an issue polarised on racial lines.

I take absolute exception to your apparently unfounded assumption. I don't expect an apology.

Having spoke to the boater who reported it to LH yes they are Eastern Europeans

I object to the word "electrocution" being used to describe the stunning of fish using electricity. "Electrocution" is a portmanteau word used to describe electrical execution, and unless these fish have been properly sentenced to death in an American court of law,and even then in only one or two states, and unless their execution takes place in an electric chair, then this is incorrect use of English. smile.png

I have seen signs along the canals stating in English about removal of fish. The same sign had the message in a language I do not recognize.

These signs were put up by either BW or CRT. I seem to remember one at bottom of the Marsworth flight.

Now because of the non English translation does this make the water authority racist by picking on the nationality who the translation addresses.

Perhaps they used this particular language because they had caught someone of that nationality.

We saw these last week in three languages on the Trent and Mersey, the other two languages were Polish and Russian. This does rather suggest that CRT think Poles and Russians are more likely to need to be advised of the rules rather than, say, Portuguese and Italians.

I think it is fair to say that many of the fish found in British canals are a fairly staple part of the diet in Poland and Russia, and I say that as somebody who has spent years in both of those countries.

As Cotswoldman repeatedly calls for evidence, I'd point out there is circumstantial evidence in spades. Eastern European peeps prize carp and other freshwater fish for food, therefore the likelihood is the culprits are eastern European.

If/when they are caught and found to be Polish, I expect cotswoldman will offer a full and profuse apology to Laurence and accept he was right to have said 'probably eastern European'.

MtB

• Greenie 1

As Cotswoldman repeatedly calls for evidence, I'd point out there is circumstantial evidence in spades. Eastern European peeps prize carp and other freshwater fish for food, therefore the likelihood is the culprits are eastern European.

If/when they are caught and found to be Polish, I expect cotswoldman will offer a full and profuse apology to Laurence and accept he was right to have said 'probably eastern European'.

MtB

read up, they were eastern europeans

MtB

MtP you would be wrong there was no need to mention ethnicity

The reported evidence would suggest that there is a noticeable tendency for certain nationalities to illegally take fish stocked for sporting purposes as food. I gather the correlation is not disputed? Since there is currently a national debate in progress concerning immigration it seems not inappropriate to mention this correlation since the behaviour of foreign migrants in our country is certainly a legitimate matter of public interest. It would be nice if people would oblige by not establishing or supporting unfounded stereotypes, but in this case it would appear that the evidence is that certain migrant communities engage widely in this activity and the British public do have a right to pass comment surely?

Oos Archie?

This phone does not do post numbers but whilst the storm was cast against what was supposed racist undertones, in wanders in someone in page three called Archie something or other and takes issue with anglers who could be seen as a minority in here. If I came in here and suggested we would all be better off without EU's I would be hounded out of town. What's the difference?

Edited by mark99

Maybe they where hungry ? once the English realise that there is free food to be had they might start harvesting as well, but centuries of being shot at by baliffs and gamekeepers has educated the serfs.

• Greenie 1

This email has just arrived from CRT at 19.52PM:

John Ellis

To

Me, Simon Salem

Today at 7:50 PM

Hi Laurence, further to Simons email I have this afternoon spoken to the Agency’s local enforcement contact Paul Blake and he has confirmed that the appropriate action is to ring to 0800 807060 hotline number when the incident is in progress. To take a successful prosecution they need to catch people in the act.

John W Ellis

National Fisheries and Angling Manager

Direct dial: 07711 796344

Canal & River Trust, First Floor North, Station House, 500 Elder Gate, Milton Keynes MK9 1BB

Please visit our website www.canalrivertrust.org.uk to find out more about the Canal & River Trust and download our ‘Shaping our Future document’ on the About Us page.<ends>

I can also confirm that in a telecom from the RSPCA have confirmed that there is a spate of fish thefts in the Crewe Middlewich area centred on pools containg carp.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

archie57, on 01 Oct 2014 - 5:23 PM, said:

I sorry to have to say that I would prefer canals to have no fish in them anyway so as not to have to put up with the "objectionable freeloaders" as I think someone described the fishing fraternity some time ago.

i take it this is a joke?

I can also confirm that in a telecom from the RSPCA have confirmed that there is a spate of fish thefts in the Crewe Middlewich area centred on pools containg carp.

OK, now there are different possibilities here.

A sudden black market in pet carp

organised fish rustling to sell as stock elsewhere

The arrival of people with a cultural tradition of prizing carp as a food.

Now I wonder which it could be? I think I will say "I don't have a clue" because I'd rather be thought stupid than racist. Isn't this what caused all that tragedy in Rochdale?

• Greenie 2