Winter Moorings Reminder

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

My understanding is if they only take a mooring for 5/6 months there is no need to tell CRT if they allready have a licence showing no home mooring.

What about if they leave their home mooring for the summer and then return in the winter should they advise CRT that they have become CC,s ?

Thanks for your thoughts

Perhaps CRT should increase the CC license fee by the annual equivalent of the winter mooring permit and make it available all year. Would solve all the complaints re enforcement, save a fortune in legal fees and earn CRT a fortune. Those that want a reserved mooring or security/facilities will continue to take marina moorings or CRT towpath moorings. Stop people moanng about getting something for nothing etc

Dons crash helmet and runs for cover

My understanding is if they only take a mooring for 5/6 months there is no need to tell CRT if they allready have a licence showing no home mooring.

An interesting point: CRT say that the winter mooring permit is a 'home mooring' for licensing purposes - does this mean that person does not qualify for the winter mooring permit the next year?

So only those who decide to cruise all summer and moor all winter and have license renewal time in the summer months escape this contradiction?

Perhaps CRT should increase the CC license fee by the annual equivalent of the winter mooring permit and make it available all year. Would solve all the complaints re enforcement, save a fortune in legal fees and earn CRT a fortune. Those that want a reserved mooring or security/facilities will continue to take marina moorings or CRT towpath moorings. Stop people moanng about getting something for nothing etc

For some reason, those who this would benefit seem to be the people most opposed to the idea of a roving mooring permit.

Unfortunately (from the POV of your idea) the law doesn't allow this to be a licensing condition. There are those that believe the winter mooring permits are illegal but paying ,money with menaces is preferable to continual harassment.

There is also a vested interest at work here. There has been a recent spate of letters going out criticising the cruising patterns of boaters, many of which seem spurious, strangely con-incidental with the issue of winter mooring permits.

Is it a conspiracy theory to see a connection?

Just to remind those interested winter moorings go on sale at 15:30 today. No big hurry if you just want a General Towpath Mooring but if you are looking at a Visitor Mooring spot the prime ones do go quickly

Hi John. Thank youthe reminder. Is there a link or do I just log on to waterscape?

Martyn

well I for one think these winter moorings for ccs are a good idea but think they should not be allowed to be used as a safe / cheap and secure car park for over winter long term holidays, as where a few moorings in Liverpool last year ,

?

Sorry, but I'm mystified.

Tim

I just wanted to know the requirements, if any, to advise CRT when you either

• took a mooring for the winter
  • left a winter mooring for the summer
  • returned to same or different winter mooring

and still do if anyone can advise

I did not realise that having the status of cc gave an advantage for securing winter moorings operated by CRT.

Unless I am missing something there seems little benefit of not being a cc . Just take a mooring as and when desired

An interesting point: CRT say that the winter mooring permit is a 'home mooring' for licensing purposes - does this mean that person does not qualify for the winter mooring permit the next year?

So only those who decide to cruise all summer and moor all winter and have license renewal time in the summer months escape this contradiction?

For some reason, those who this would benefit seem to be the people most opposed to the idea of a roving mooring permit.

No CRT say it has the status of home mooring for enforcement purposes. For licencing it is not counted as a home mooring and don't forget the majority do not take them for 5 months last year the most popular one was the month of January meaning you can moor from the 17 December on a General Towpath Winter Mooring

I just wanted to know the requirements, if any, to advise CRT when you either

• took a mooring for the winter
  • left a winter mooring for the summer
  • returned to same or different winter mooring
and still do if anyone can advise

I did not realise that having the status of cc gave an advantage for securing winter moorings operated by CRT.

Unless I am missing something there seems little benefit of not being a cc . Just take a mooring as and when desired

If you take a mooring in a marina for winter there is no need to advise CRT. If you take a CRT Winter mooring they will know as you have to pay them

Hi John. Thank youthe reminder. Is there a link or do I just log on to waterscape?

Martyn

Can't do link but go to canalrivertrust.org.uk and put winter mooring in search

Why would we want to stop people moaning?

What about if they leave their home mooring for the summer and then return in the winter should they advise CRT that they have become CC,s ?

Thanks for your thoughts

No not if they pay for the marina for 12 months yes if they only pay for 5/6 months

dekker, on 02 Oct 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:snapback.png

Thanks for your thoughts

No not if they pay for the marina for 12 months yes if they only pay for 5/6 months

• rep_up.png
  • rep_down.png

John
I know several boaters who are not registered as cc's. They only pay marinas for six winter months and move around in the summer occasionally using marinas in their travels so are they wrong in not registering as cc's?
This question is for anyone as well as John

dekker, on 02 Oct 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:snapback.png

• rep_up.png
  • rep_down.png

John

I know several boaters who are not registered as cc's. They only pay marinas for six winter months and move around in the summer occasionally using marinas in their travels so are they wrong in not registering as cc's?

This question is for anyone as well as John

Well as I am now considered not to be a genuine ccer I guess I am not the right person to ask. But it is my understanding if they do not pay for a home mooring 12 months a year they should have a licence for a boat without a home mooring

Does it say on the licence if you are CC or not? I ask cause when I first got the license for Eefer I didn't have a marina mooring but got one later. I just renewed my license and haven't said anything to CRT about my home marina. Does it really matter?

Yes there is a code on the licence and if you know how to interpret it, it says where your home mooring is.

If you now have a permanent mooring it is in the terms and conditions that you should inform C&RT

As you have a home mooring you will possibly be seen in the same place many times and if C&RT think you are a CCer then warnings could arrive.

Yes there is a code on the licence and if you know how to interpret it, it says where your home mooring is.

If you now have a permanent mooring it is in the terms and conditions that you should inform C&RT

As you have a home mooring you will possibly be seen in the same place many times and if C&RT think you are a CCer then warnings could arrive.

Keith... are there therefore different rules for boaters with home moorings then?

No, those with home moorings will obviously be seen in the same spot (if they leave their home mooring) because they will generally moor in the same spot (towpath) on their outward and inward journeys.

Especially if they just pop out for the weekend. wink.png

There are places on the Shropshire Union for instance that during summer weekends are always occupied by the same marina boats.

My answer was specific to Galeomma in the fact that he has a home mooring but C&RT believe him to be CCing so they could often see him in the same spot and then proceedings may be started, then he has all the hassle that involves.

In his case, probably easily resolved when he has proved he has a home mooring.

No, those with home moorings will obviously be seen in the same spot (if they leave their home mooring) because they will generally moor in the same spot (towpath) on their outward and inward journeys.

Easy resolved are the words normally spoken by someone who has never tried to resolve something with CRT Tony Dunkley found the easy path very difficult as do a lot of boats who have been wrongly ticketed

There are places on the Shropshire Union for instance that during summer weekends are always occupied by the same marina boats.

My answer was specific to Galeomma in the fact that he has a home mooring but C&RT believe him to be CCing so they could often see him in the same spot and then proceedings may be started, then he has all the hassle that involves.

If you have a home mooring does the 14 day rule not apply?

dekker, on 03 Oct 2014 - 5:21 PM, said:

If you have a home mooring does the 14 day rule not apply?

Yes it does - but -

You do not have to move to a new 'place' (Parish or be on a continuous cruise*) every 14 days which a CCer does.

With a home mooring you can moor at a 'place' for 14 days, move 1 mile (still be in the same 'place', but a different location within that 'place') and stay another 14 days - ad infinitum

Problem for CCers is that no one has an idea how big a 'place' is.

* or whatever is todays description

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I have also taken a 5 month mooring so from 17th of this month no moving for me

Officially allowed to overstay makes me feel rather Smug.

I think it's a good thing this general towpath winter permit and at a reasonable price to just hope it remains so.

Officially allowed to overstay makes me feel rather Smug.

I think it's a good thing this general towpath winter permit and at a reasonable price to just hope it remains so.

So do I mainly because I know plenty that like it, but also because it was an idea that Jenlyn and myself proposed to CRT