January 2007 Newsletter (updated)

Jon

Featured Posts

****This is also being sent out by e-mail, but for the benifit of those who do not receive it, I have posted it here****

Firstly (and slightly belatedly) a very happy new year to all members. As many of you will be aware I haven’t been around much over the last month and I would like publicly thank Daniel (Dhutch) and Allan (Keeping Up) for looking after the site so well in my absence. Thanks guys!

I don’t like to start of newsletters with a moan, but unfortunately events of late have degenerated to the point where it is now getting out of hand. I would like to remind all members of the introduction to the site that is on the front page:

“We are a friendly discussion based community, with focused discussion on any issue relating to inland waterways. Membership is open to anyone and is FREE. Members are able to discuss issues, submit pictures to the gallery, browse and contribute to an ever increasing links directory and contact members privately. All we ask is that you provide a valid e-mail address. With forums on topics from boat building to fishing, everyone is welcome to contribute. We also have our own 'virtual pub' for you to chat with other members of the community about anything at all. Click below to join the largest waterways community on the internet....”

The above paragraph is the vision that I had when I started the forum and the same vision that the site crew and I work towards when we moderate the forums. At present, we are nowhere near that vision, and I can honestly say that when I came back the forum a few days ago I was ashamed to call it my site. I’m fed up of logging on to find any number of private messages and e-mails about how one person is bickering/arguing with another and how feelings have been hurt. We have reached a point where new members are too intimated to post because they are in fear of being flamed by other members. I have tried to be nice about it by privately addressing those concerned but all I get is teddies thrown well and truly out of the pram and members threaten to leave. I’ve had moderators physically threatened and insulted, and it all came to a head tonight when I had a new member say to me that he doesn’t want to be part of a forum where he feels he can’t post. The behaviour of late of some members has been nothing short of childish, the kind of behaviour I would expect from a primary school class, not a bunch of adult waterways enthusiasts. The members in question (and you know who you are) are damaging the reputation of the site that I have worked hard to build and rebuild to turn it into what it is. If any of you had any idea of the time and cost required to run this site then perhaps you would think twice about the way in which you post.

From here on in, the Site Crew will be enforcing the new policy of 3 strikes and you are out about the way in which members post on the forum. We will be using the warn level meter to warn the member who will have 3 chances and then they will get banned. I reserve the right to ban anyone who I feel is causing a problem before they have reached 3 warnings. I will not stand for any more of this silly bickering that has become part of any technical discussion. At present, we are not a friendly forum, our discussion topics are not focussed and new members most certainly do not feel welcome. If a member objects to this policy, then I politely suggest that they find another forum to inhabit as you will not be welcome here.

I am sorry to come on strong, but I’ve tried the nice approach and it is not working. You each need to remember that the person who is reading it can interpret the written word in many different ways. A post meant in jest can easily be read as aggressive. Please take a moment to step back and think about what you are reading and what you are posting. Remember that there is a real person behind the forum username and I would encourage each member to think twice before posting something that may be misconstrued.

Finally, if members have objections to a post, tell a member of the site crew and we will sort it, don’t take it on yourself to sort it out. From here on in, public arguments will not be tolerated. Threats to any other member or the site crew will not be tolerated and will be dealt with in the strongest possible manner.

Please re-read the forum rules and guidelines and remind yourself of what you are obligated to adhere by when using the forums.

Moan over!

What’s New?

Many members will now be aware of the blogging facility that has been recently added to the site. For those that don’t, this allows members to start their own blog within the CWDF community. The main idea is for members to create blogs on a waterways theme, eg the building of a boat, trip diary etc but I am more than happy for members to use it for any topic provided it fits within the forum rules and guidelines. If you wish to create a blog then simply select ‘Blogs’ from the top navigation bar (next to the photo gallery link) and then select ‘Create Blog’ from the top left corner. Once you have done this, simply follow the on screen instructions. Remember that you will need to ‘publish’ any entries that you make before they can be read by any other members. You can also link directly to another off-site blog by following the instructions above.

While on the subject of blogs, members with their own blog can use the friendly URL option to create a direct address for their blog, eg it is possible to link directly to your blog by having http://www.canalworld.net/forums/blog/[your blog name] . To set this up, go to 'Your Blog Settings' and choose 'Enable Friendly URL' from the main options tab. Remember that you can link to your blog in your signature if you wish.

We have also reconsidered our policy on allowing links to personal websites in signatures. In 2005 I had to ban all links in signatures after one such link nearly ended up with me being taken to court. Now that has all calmed down, we have decided to allow one personal link in a signature (links to commercial sites are still prohibited). Remember to add http:// before your link to make it clickable. The site crew reserve the right to remove links of a questionable nature.

Last but not least, many members keep asking about window stickers and a number of suggestions have been put forward. Now that I have a bit more time I will try and sort that out for you. Please keep monitoring the thread in the ‘Articles and Resources’ forum.

That’s it for now. If you’ve read this far then you deserve a medal!

I am disappointed that the site crew are having to edit posts and issue warnings already, despite the above text. We are taking a very hard stance against posts of an unsuitable nature. I ask again that members consider what they post or they will end up being banned from the site.

I am sorry for the very hard line, 99% of members have nothing to worry about. We will beat this problem of unfriendly and unsuitable posts.

Thank you to all of those who e-mailed me back in support. I have received over 100 e-mails from various members and unfortunately I have not had time to respond to all of them personally. Your comments are much appreciated.

Jon