Residential mooring in Lincoln

BruceinSanity

Featured Posts

One of the residential moorers here in Mercia would like to move her boat to the Lincoln area. She's not very internet savvy so has asked us to help her find a mooring if we can.

We've found some CRT moorings just outside Brayford Pool but the online details are pretty confusing, not to say out of date (like one of the auctions closed in 2011).

Can anyone offer any advice to pass on? We've been down that way ourselves a couple of times, but not recently.

Thanks in advance.

The situation may have changed since we were looking a couple of years ago - we looked for 2 years & couldnt find any moorings in Lincoln either leisure or residential - the odd one for 23 footers came up but that was it.

Depending on your friends circumstances it may well be worth considering Newark - its only 20-30 minutes by car to lincoln and about the same by Train.

Newark train station 5 minutes walk from Kings Marina.

Fully legal residential mooring, individual water and electric, laundry etc etc, irrespective of length/width of boat £3800 pa.

PS - Newark is a much nicer town than Lincoln - not the same history of the cathedral, but better laid out, and easier for walking.

Residential moorings do occasionally come for auction on the CRT long term moorings but not very often at all.

Leisure moorings come up more frequently on the CRT moorings but not strictly liveaboard moorings, although several on that stretch do live on board.

The Brayford Trust and Lincoln Marina moorings in Brayford Pool dont allow liveaboard use.

If she is lucky she might get a mooring in Burton Waters where a blind eye is turned to living onboard, but you will pay more for the mooring in the first instance.

There are some farm moorings at Saxilby just outside Lincoln but not sure of their avaliability at the moment.

NC - thats exactly what we found, we did consider Burton Waters, but the lack of 'security' by not having a residential mooring was worrying - as it turns out, having sold the business and were ready to go we got some 'elderly, ailing, parent responsibilities' and ended up not be able to either CC or liveaboard, so leisure would have been OK.

Depends on how far out the OP wants to go :

Are there residential at Bardney ?

Then there is Chapel Hill or Dog Dyke but thats even further out of Lincoln than Newark

Dog Dyke and the caravan park just downstream have some liveaboards but as you say Newark is probably closer.

Not exactly over-run with local facilities either - however if you are a Euro-Fighter 'anorak' being buzzed by them every 10 minutes - at 200 feet as they come into Coninsby to land, might make your day

Not exactly over-run with local facilities either - however if you are a Euro-Fighter 'anorak' being buzzed by them every 10 minutes - at 200 feet as they come into Coninsby to land, might make your day

And the Dakota.

I agree though. Wouldnt be high on my list of places to live.

Just thought on. Geordies at Langrick Bridge has some liveaboards down there now. Nice american diner across the river cheers.gif

As Alan de E has said, Newark is lovely, and King's Marina is but a walk across the Waitrose car park to the Newark Castle rail station for a direct train into Lincoln (about £11.40 return)

I dont know why Waitrose bother opening before 7:30pm - the only time they seem busy is 7:30-8:00pm when everyone goes in the the marked down priced items.

Better to go a 5 minute walk in the other direction to Aldi (although to be fair - that's not the best route to the train station)

I dont know why Waitrose bother opening before 7:30pm - the only time they seem busy is 7:30-8:00pm when everyone goes in the the marked down priced items.

Better to go a 5 minute walk in the other direction to Aldi (although to be fair - that's not the best route to the train station)

They've obviously changed the time then - - I used to find that 16:00 hrs +/- 30 minutes would give the best offers!

And the Dakota.

I agree though. Wouldnt be high on my list of places to live.

Just thought on. Geordies at Langrick Bridge has some liveaboards down there now. Nice american diner across the river cheers.gif

Not forgetting the Lancaster and the rest of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

Not forgetting the Lancaster and the rest of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

Dont know if you were in Meg yesterday when the whole BBMF flight went over - Chippies, Spits, Hurricanes the Lanc and the Dakota - what a fly-past, the Fighters 'dropped down' and the big boys went around again !!!

Dont know if you were in Meg yesterday when the whole BBMF flight went over - Chippies, Spits, Hurricanes the Lanc and the Dakota - what a fly-past, the Fighters 'dropped down' and the big boys went around again !!!

Where was I yesterday? Ah - I reckon it must have been when I was on my hands and knees digging out tile adhesive with loud machinery in my loo floor. I'm sorry I missed it

Thanks for all the advice, folks, I'll pass it on.

I suspect that Newark will be a more attractive proposition for her as it's a once good but now ageing hireboat and not having to do the tidal Trent would be an advantage.

The tidal Trent from Cromwell to Torksey isnt that bad!

The tidal Trent from Cromwell to Torksey isnt that bad!

Sure, we've done it twice with no bother and would do it again. But I know my friend's boat and her confidence (or lack thereof), and I'm just predicting that she'd rather not undertake it, all else being equal.

Sure, we've done it twice with no bother and would do it again. But I know my friend's boat and her confidence (or lack thereof), and I'm just predicting that she'd rather not undertake it, all else being equal.

Without wanting to appear rude.

So why ask about moorings in Lincoln? Was she planning to use a truck?

Without wanting to appear rude.

So why ask about moorings in Lincoln? Was she planning to use a truck?

Not rude, fair question.

We'd not thought of Newark initially, don't know why, I quite agree with what's been said. I'm sure she could get down to Torksey, but would need a lot of support to get there. I'm sure that would be available from here, she's a popular lady, but she might need a bit of persuading to accept it.

The boat's going to need a serious service before venturing onto moving water at all, I suspect.

Anyway, thanks again to one and all for your advice.