BMC engine mountings

KennR

Featured Posts

A siily question but here goes. I was doing my engine checks this morning and noticed the large nut securing engine to mount was loose(finger tight) and the nut underneath was 1/2 inch down the shaft doing nothing. Do i bring lower nut up to mount and tighten top nut or do i screw top nut down to lower one or get a mechanic to check engine for levelness?

Not easy to answer really. How are the other mounts?

My inclination would be to bring the lower nut up, I'd want to see the gaps between the lower nuts and the body on the other mounts first

What kind of coupling have you got between the gearbox and prop?

Richard

Does it look like it has some rubber in it somewhere?

I suspect you have a thing like a cylindrical sandwich of steel 'bread' and rubber filling. If that's the case, check the other mounts to see what they look like, then move the nuts on the dodgy mount so it looks the same. Then get someone to check the alignment. If the coupling is the one I described, it doesn't have a lot of flexibility in it

Richard

I changed oil and filter recently but am a bit wary of changing fuel filters as i dont know how to bleed. I have the filters and am at Apperley Bridge so if anyone wants to earn a few quid and change filters/bleed system and check the mounts ?

Text me on zero seven 5221 eight nine 5 0 three

Just looked again at coupling and it looks as if the back half of coupling is a galvanised steel colour and the front bit is same colour as prop shaft so it is a sandwich of sorts...can't see any rubber though. Can the rubber be replaced or is it a full coupling replacement?

Don't know without seeing the coupling. I asked because I'm trying to work out how critical the alignment is. I can't identify it from your description unfortunately

So, the mounts - by looking at the other three mounts, does it look like the top or bottom nut shifted - I would expect it to be the bottom one, the top ones usually have a nylon locking part on top

Richard

Thanks Richard. The half i thought was galvanised steel when viewed in natural light was rubber----the mounting which appears to be wet(oily) is the loose one. The other is from opposite side of engine

Its a shame all the mountings haven't got nylock or lock nuts on top or you could have just run the bottom nut back up and tightened it and at least it would have been back where it was. I recommend fitting lock nuts to all your mountings for that reason.

Ideally you really need to release the prop shaft from the centa flex coupling, push it back clear and then bring it forward and adjust by small increments at the mountings until the shaft enters accurately and smoothly and then lock up the mounting nuts. That centa flex coupling would normally have a taper lock securing device to connect the shaft to it.