Just picked up a boat, engine problems already. Please help!

boatcat

Featured Posts

You ask on here for recommendations and also ask other boaters but I would trust the replies on here rather more. However no "professional" is likely to take the time to empty and possibly cut filters open and such like. In my view it is far better if you are able to learn how to do it yourself. RCR offer their members an "on your boat" service training and also if a member books a service the engineers are usually perfectly happy for you to watch them. They often explain what is going on as well. I no longer run the courses but the RCR two day courses are based on my course so would be a good investment in my view.

I agree. It is quite simple to service an engine on a narrowboat and so is within the means of more or less anyone to do it with a few basic tools. The course will be worthwhile you may meet some new friends and you will get the fee for the course in the savings made not employing a mechanic to do it for you,

and you will get the fee for the course in the savings made not employing a mechanic to do it for you,

Depending on your age and physical condition you may also get a few aches and pains after spending time jammed into odd spaces trying to get at things. The occasional bruised or scraped knuckle is possible along with the vow that you will never ever do it again. I have just serviced our engine and suffered all these and have vowed once more never to do it again.

However, in 250 hours running time I shall no doubt be back in there doing it again when all the above will occur wacko.png

• Greenie 1

Depending on your age and physical condition you may also get a few aches and pains after spending time jammed into odd spaces trying to get at things. The occasional bruised or scraped knuckle is possible along with the vow that you will never ever do it again. I have just serviced our engine and suffered all these and have vowed once more never to do it again.

However, in 250 hours running time I shall no doubt be back in there doing it again when all the above will occur wacko.png

"Always look on the bright side of life....."

Given quality tools and 50 ...a few years of practice, no more dinged knuckles and you learn to compensate for youthfull flexibility with old style cunning.

Is the engine bay on a narrow-boat really that tight?

It depends on the boat. Obviously boats with a back cabin and an engine room have lots more room around the engine than a close coupled engine. Even with close coupled engines there's a lot of variation, how boxed in the engine makes a big difference, how far into the swim the engine's been wedged. The engine in this boat is close coupled but it's quite far forward (18 inches further than the one it replaced in fact). A lot of fit outs have clearly been done with no consideration for maintenance at all (not just engines, batteries etc can often be found in hidden in ridiculously hard places to get to).

Engine rooms are good as long as there is not much stuff stored there. Cruiser sterns are generally good too. Under the step Trad sterns are tricky, and for some reason semi trads are nearly always cramped

Richard

Boatcat, good luck and I hope you get this sorted out.

I had to call out RCR the other week when RW's engine refused to start (My own stupid fault, but that's another story)

The first thing the young man did when he arrived was to ask about the engine's history and who had serviced it. When I said "Stephen Goldsborough" he nodded and said "No problem there then".

That sounded like quite a good recommendation to me.

Engine rooms are good as long as there is not much stuff stored there. Cruiser sterns are generally good too. Under the step Trad sterns are tricky, and for some reason semi trads are nearly always cramped

Richard

I must be lucky as my semitrad has loads of room even with an onboard genny.

Phil

You ask on here for recommendations and also ask other boaters but I would trust the replies on here rather more. However no "professional" is likely to take the time to empty and possibly cut filters open and such like. In my view it is far better if you are able to learn how to do it yourself. RCR offer their members an "on your boat" service training and also if a member books a service the engineers are usually perfectly happy for you to watch them. They often explain what is going on as well. I no longer run the courses but the RCR two day courses are based on my course so would be a good investment in my view.

I used RCR for my service last year as it was the first time, the engineer was more than happy to tell me what he was doing and at the end recommended that next time I get the "on your boat" service to learn how to do it myself.

Unfortunately the best idea is to do servicing yourself. It is bad enough getting your car serviced but at least there is plenty of choice. With boats there is limited choice and probably a presumption that if you knew about engines you would do it yourself, so if you are getting it done by a costly "professional" you don't know about it and therefore won't notice corners cut. A maintenance training course will pay dividends.

My thoughts exactly as that's what I am going to do!

I must be lucky as my semitrad has loads of room even with an onboard genny.

Phil

There are exceptions to all of the above, it's just my impression from having worked in a variety of homes for engines. If they are well planned, any of them can provide good access. If they are well planned...

Richard

Unfortunately, the faults were entirely caused by the servicing mechanic at Braunston, the alternator belt was fitted running over the alternator bracket, wear was very clear. More rubber than an Australian sheep shearing contest.

There was wear anyway, as the cooling system seems to be sitting slightly proud of where it should be, so a washer on both alternator brackets is a temporary fix.

The fuel leak identified by the surveyor has also now been fixed. Another thing not done by Braunston, but charged for.

It really pisses me off, new boaters not just ripped off, but then rudely treated and blamed by operators that should be upholding standards, not abstaining from responsibility.

• Greenie 3

Unfortunately, the faults were entirely caused by the servicing mechanic at Braunston, the alternator belt was fitted running over the alternator bracket, wear was very clear. More rubber than an Australian sheep shearing contest.

There was wear anyway, as the cooling system seems to be sitting slightly proud of where it should be, so a washer on both alternator brackets is a temporary fix.

The fuel leak identified by the surveyor has also now been fixed. Another thing not done by Braunston, but charged for.

It really pisses me off, new boaters not just ripped off, but then rudely treated and blamed by operators that should be upholding standards, not abstaining from responsibility.

well done sorting them out

It is not just the fact that is hasn't been done right, it is the way they respond to queries/complaints. Boatcat were told they had been cruising too fast....which is utter bollocks between Braunston and Whilton bottom locks.

Another forum member was assured that his stern gland and other works had been completed, when I was sat looking at a stern gland with no packing. ..

Oh, and when Braunston say they have passed offers on to sellers , don't believe them.

I have 2 boats evidence that this doesn't happen, unless it suits them.

Thanks so much Matt for helping us out, it was really kind of you take time out of your Sunday afternoon getting greasy in our engine room. we're currently moored up at the southern end of Blisworth tunnel and the engine has not caused us any more problems.

I'll be calling Braunston tomorrow, and although I feel we should be given a full refund I'm sure they will try and weasel their way out of it. At least posting here will warn other boaters to stay well clear of them, at least when it comes to servicing.

They certainly weren't our first choice for servicing, but everyone else I spoke to was booked up for weeks and it seemed an obvious choice to get the work done at the marina we were buying from.

My view of their "service" is that they either did nothing, or started work which was quickly given up on. To carry out the works correctly they would have had to remove some of the wooden boards which box the engine in. I know they didn't do this because the paint covering the screws was intact, and there were no signs that they had removed anything other than the top cover which is not screwed on and simply slides off.

I would rather they had charged extra labour and actually done the job rather than given up because they saw an awkward engine - regardless of what happened they completely failed to service the engine and sort out the fuel leak for which we paid extra.

At least it didn't happen in a tunnel. . .!

I'll keep you all updated on their response, and post some pictures up here as evidence.

I will certainly aim to do my own servicing in the future.

Thanks again Matt!

I went to Braunston marina to look at boats and "posh" Tim was the rudest most offhand ignorant scallywag I've ever had the misfortune to atempt to deal with. I think he gets off on sneering at and looking down his nose at people. I imagine he prefers the sort of middle class people who he judges won't make a fuss or dare to question him hence his attitude - scare them off and keep the money. Akin to an under the arches back street garage. Obviously he's had plenty of practice and it works. There's always another sucker to fleece, hardly anyone reads this sort of thing on the internet. Perhaps someone should organise a motion sensing camera and leave them a dummy job or two, like rogue traders do on the telly.

If they had the very boat I wanted to buy, I'd rather not thanks. The thought of him ending up with any of my hard earned would be too much to live with.

I only "met" him for 2 minutes but he left a deep impression. Avoid.

Harry Enfields "Did you see me coming" sketches spring to mind.

Edited by boathunter

Richard

With my trad, to change the oil filter, I have to crawl on my back to get to it. It used to be quite easy when I weighed 7.5 stone but now I'm 15 stone.

sad.png

I'm now thinking of changing my forum name to

"Lard Ass"

:)

Edited by Laurie.Booth

With my trad, to change the oil filter, I have to crawl on my back to get to it. It used to be quite easy when I weighed 7.5 stone but now I'm 15 stone.

sad.png

Polishing the floor under the engine - I like it to be bone dry - is a bit of a contortion for me ... Maybe I should stop fussing about this...

I had been double charged by Braunston Marina in the past, I thought it had been an isolated case but looks like not.

To be fair in dealing with the Mechanics in the yard I was very impressed with the work. however I Was on board all the time

When we had the work completed we went to the office and paid up. Two weeks later the Syndicate received an invoice charging us for the same work! After a brief discussion they withdraw the invoice as we had already paid.