Hole in my boat

Featured Posts

There's always been a 2 inch diameter hole on one side of my bow way up near the gunnel. No idea why it was there, maybe for an anchor chain or water inlet.

I'm just painting the boat so was thinking to weld some plate in there and paint as I can't think why it would be good to leave it as it is. I suppose it would be easier to stick a skin fitting over it but it wouldn't have a function except to cover hole.

Alternatively, could I have it as my water inlet or is it unusual to have one on the side of the boat?

Too many questions. Thank you!

There's always been a 2 inch diameter hole on one side of my bow way up near the gunnel. No idea why it was there, maybe for an anchor chain or water inlet.

I'm just painting the boat so was thinking to weld some plate in there and paint as I can't think why it would be good to leave it as it is. I suppose it would be easier to stick a skin fitting over it but it wouldn't have a function except to cover hole.

Alternatively, could I have it as my water inlet or is it unusual to have one on the side of the boat?

Err... wouldn't you then have a hole where the old water inlet was?

And no it's a daft idea, the hose would keep falling out. I'd just weld a patch over it if I were you. Or cut a disc the right size, weld it into the hole and grind it off flush if you are feeling clever!

MtB

Well fix it dear Henry, dear Henry,

Dear Henry

Well fix it dear Henry, dear Henry,

Dear Henry

Fix it!

Not in a gas locker is it? If so I'd not weld it up.

Au contraire, iIf it's in the gas locker, it NEEDS welding up. Or sealing in a gas-tight manner at least, to meet the BSS.

(Never mind the presence of the drain hole in the base!)

MtB

Lol yes, this reminds me. Whenever I see a 'pirate boat' these days I amuse myself by fantasizing about engaging with them on a proper war footing, boarding their boat and stealing all their beer. ..

THAT would take them aback and remind them what piracy is really all about!

ninja.gif

MtB

Could it be an old gas fridge exhaust?

Maybe a previous owner of your boat had stored a box of 2" holes in the bow, and when moving them, hadn't noticed that one of the holes had escaped?

Could be one of the 4000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire has escaped and landed on your boat........

It's not the water tank breather/overflow outlet by any chance?

Howard