Which fish can I eat?

Jez Walsh

Featured Posts

• 3 months later...

I once recovered a small Roe Deer that had apparently died from a RTC. Took it home, gutted it and hung it in the bathroom. After a few days the stink was intolerable and the bathroom continued to stink long after I disposed of the carcase.

A friend that I go shooting with hit a deer a couple of months back, it was near as dammit completely destroyed by the impact, and when he got out of the van to inspect damage (and to see if there was any meat worth taking home) he said the stench was unbearable straight away - possibly something ruptured inside.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry this is going to be off topic. I went down to the canal last night and found a young buck that had been run down quite recently so when we went to the boat I grabbed some gloves and bin liners and bagged it up and took it home. At midnight I started to possess it. I only managed to save the front leg joints and neck meat. I also kept the "cape" wich is the pelt from the shoulders up. Im hoping to turn that into a head mount. The horns were small only about 5-8" in length. And it weighed close to 50lb. So my question is, any good deer recipes?

What was its tripe like - any good??

I am no fisherman but this website says any eels caught other than Congers must be released alive.

https://www.gov.uk/freshwater-rod-fishing-rules/fish-size-and-catch-limits

Eels are becoming extremely endangered and rare. I recall seeing them killed as 'pests' on occasion - similar to the way pike were/are demonised by idiots who don't have a clue about how nature works.

Just looked at your link and am amazed to see that it's permissable to take up to '15 small fish up to 20cm (8")' - why would anyone want to remove such small fish that have almost certainly not spawned??

And surely even fish have a right to life???

Edited by northerntrades

I take back everything I said about tripe. I was thinking tongue and said tripe.

It was the tongue that was pretty good when prepared by Vera's mother.

Tripe I've only seen in menudo, Mexican soup, and I usually try to avoid it. I've see. it in Mexican butcher shops and it's actually kinda cool looking - but then so are caterpillars, but I wouldn't put either one in my mouth.

Menudo prepared well is delicious......used to be a regular Sunday Morning breakfast.......It's a well known and much revered Texican Hang Over cure.wink.png

:v

I heard one can legally take and eat EELS from the UK waterways.

Er no, to take eels you need a license and I'm not sure they are being issued due to the extremely rapid decline in the eel population.

I knew 2 eel fishermen quite well when we moored on The Broads and they both had to find other employment because catches declined to just a couple of kilos a day. Worth mentioning that when I first met these guys they would lift there nets early morning before any boats were on the move and come back with upto 400kg. The eels were kept live in hessian sacks hanging in the water till "The Dutchman" came in his lorry equipped with large tanks of oxygenated water, the poor little buggers were then whisked away to their doom.

I felt sorry for them.

Phil

When I was young the local lads used to catch eels and sell them to my nan for bit of pocket money..

Quite a delicacy eh Patty-Ann? Mmm - slimeyI

Once hooked a big'un whilst night fishing. I looked like I was suffering from a seriously bad cold after returning it to the water!

Wish I'd known your nan was dishing out dosh for em - I'd have been quids in!! cheers.gif

So what has caused the recent rapid decline in the eel population? Surely catching them commercially has all but died out.

MtB

No one has nailed it.

"There is a suite of threats that have been implicated in causing the decline in European Eel recruitment and stocks: barriers to migration – including damage by hydropower turbines; poor body condition; climate change and/or changes in oceanic currents; disease and parasites (particularly Anguillicola crassus); exploitation and trade of glass, yellow and silver eels; changing hydrology; habitat loss; pollutants; and predation. The impact of these threats individually or synergistically, are likely regionally specific; however, more broadly, climate and ocean currents have been suggested to play an important role in the survival and transport of the leptocephalus larvae and recruitment of glass eels to coastal, brackish and freshwater habitat. Further research is required to fully understand the complexities of this particular aspect of the eel's life history but there are conflicting opinions as to the degree, if any, which oceanic factors contribute to broad fluctuations in eel numbers."

I caught one at midnight once, it weight 5lb and 1/2 oz and scared the living daylights out of me.

Edited by mark99

No one has nailed it.

"There is a suite of threats that have been implicated in causing the decline in European Eel recruitment and stocks: barriers to migration – including damage by hydropower turbines; poor body condition; climate change and/or changes in oceanic currents; disease and parasites (particularly Anguillicola crassus); exploitation and trade of glass, yellow and silver eels; changing hydrology; habitat loss; pollutants; and predation. The impact of these threats individually or synergistically, are likely regionally specific; however, more broadly, climate and ocean currents have been suggested to play an important role in the survival and transport of the leptocephalus larvae and recruitment of glass eels to coastal, brackish and freshwater habitat. Further research is required to fully understand the complexities of this particular aspect of the eel's life history but there are conflicting opinions as to the degree, if any, which oceanic factors contribute to broad fluctuations in eel numbers."

I caught one at midnight once, it weight 5lb and 1/2 oz and scared the living daylights out of me.

It's a fact that humankind is usually at the bottom of most ecological disasters declines and extinctions and as your post suggests, it's rarely due to a single circumstance. Yet many people persist with their delusions that the world is too big to be damaged by mere mortals and of course, climate change is just a devise to justify price increases.

So not to get too 'off topic' with this already 'off topic' subject I'll revert back to the bit about what fish can and can't be eaten - the only freshwater fish I've ever eaten is trout. And even then, my rule was that I had to be either camping or boating before I would kill a fish. It was my way of alleviating guilt but now I don't eat any fish other than shop bought for Isn't our wildlife under enough pressure already? The bland tasting perch or roach that we might take could well be the difference between life and death for a starving heron or otter etc.

The eel that I (literally) tangled with wasn't quite that big Mark99 but don't they fight like the very devil?

So you see Patty Ann, it's all your nans fault!!

I caught an eel once by haccident once.

Feckin' staggered by the amount of slime and it's resistance to being removed form my hands.

And it's resistance to being slaughtered. (I was about 15 at the time and it was regarded as responsible to NOT put them back.)

I caught an eel once by haccident once.

Feckin' staggered by the amount of slime and it's resistance to being removed form my hands.

And it's resistance to being slaughtered. (I was about 15 at the time and it was regarded as responsible to NOT put them back.)

We used to cut the head off and stab them in the tail. There is a large nerve ganglion there which controls much of the movement. I have seen a headless eel make it to the bank and swim away.

• 3 months later...

If Seafood is considered Healthy and good for you, Why are Whales so Fat !.

I've been lucky enough to have a few fish caught off the boat now and again, I'm certainly no fishermen, but me and Charlie have had many a free meal.

14 inch Sea bass FillitsFillets and a 36 inch Pollack -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sx8kfwz6ndnygve/IMAG0494.jpg?dl=0

I get a lot of Sea bass

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7s1upspophnpo2/IMAG0535.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hnw8h6nexezxigs/IMAG0531.jpg?dl=0

Huss -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvn2ke3sszgltkt/

IMAG0589.jpg?dl=0

I get a lot of Huss

Here is another 3 -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aorhfnn7g88ruwa/2014-06-

29%2012.30.47.jpg?dl=0