Which fish can I eat?

Jez Walsh

Featured Posts

Does anyone have any suggestions for catching crayfish in canals. Like bait and maybe making homemade traps? Think I saw something about making them from plastic bottles. Thanks for all the replys

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R4.TR11.TRC1.A0.H1.Xcray&_nkw=crayfish+traps&_sacat=0

I have never eaten tripe and I have never aquired a taste for gellied eels or oysters, formerly food for the poor.

Converting tripe from its raw form to digestible involves chemical processes that I will leave you to Google lest it turn my stomach before I get the chance to try it.

Maybe it is the texture rather than the flavour, as with muhrooms/funghi, that make it unappealing? Recipes welcome.

As an 'anti-vegetarian' I am keen to consume every last bit of animals that we choose to slaughter.

"What has this got to do with the price of fish?", Alan

I once ate a perch as a lad, it swallowed the hook too deep, was about 10oz weight from a gin clear dtock pond (wildwood, staffs).. It was pretty good, but we were famished.

Carp I've eaten caught from the river Illi in Kazakhstan.. I was mortified to see my russian in laws kill a carp, but thats what they do... in fact they kill every fish they cstch.. nothing goes back.. as much as I tried I couldnt get them to change their ways.

The law in the uk runs along the lines of two fish may be taken with the consent of the fishery owner, which rules out CRT waters, besides, as much as water quality on our waters have improved (in no small way due to fisherman), theyre still canals. I probably wouldn't eat a trout that came from the cut.

Clean rivers and their game fish can be a delicacy, personally I return all fish... including salmon as they do not akways perish after spawning and a percentage return to the Atantic unlike the north American variety.

Pike? Dobt bother... the bones are just too much hassle for a below average taste....

Akso its worth bearing in mind that some of the monster carp you see on our waters are in some cases older than you... Theyre a lovely sight, leave them be.

Kind regards

Des

Edited by Skyraker

A chap used to catch pike here and take them home in a bucket. He told me he had an ornamental pond at home with a smaller pool built into a waterfall fed from the filer where he'd keep the pike for a few days before eating them. Reckoned they tasted better after they'd been out of the cut for a bit.

As some others have said it's illegal to remove fish from the cut but only if you get caught and I doubt the local scuttlers would be interested if someone phoned em up to grass.

Remove a large pike from its area and then the young pike will survive putting more pressure on the fish in that area .

Introduced problem fish I believe can be removed like Zander and American crayfish.

When fishing rivers like the Severn and the Humber then how does it become alright to take Salmon ,Cod ,Dabs etc. or does the wording tidal rivers change the rule ?

Going to see if I can get some crayfish later. What are the laws and rules of using a trap? I know about the hole size for otters. Buf do you need a licence to use them or can you just buy a trap and use it off the side of your boat (if you have a fishing licence)

Edited by Jez Walsh

Remove a large pike from its area and then the young pike will survive putting more pressure on the fish in that area .

Introduced problem fish I believe can be removed like Zander and American crayfish.

When fishing rivers like the Severn and the Humber then how does it become alright to take Salmon ,Cod ,Dabs etc. or does the wording tidal rivers change the rule ?

Different byelaws?

Going to see if I can get some crayfish later. What are the laws and rules of using a trap? I know about the hole size for otters. Buf do you need a licence to use them or can you just buy a trap and use it off the side of your boat (if you have a fishing licence)

https://www.gov.uk/permission-to-trap-crayfish-eels-elvers-salmon-and-sea-trout

The guidance is here

But you need to pay attention to this bit before you nip out and see if you can get some crayfish later:

If you want to trap crayfish, it is vital that you are careful and follow the rules. Otherwise you may break the law.

Weren't carp an introduced species I believe from France

No, theyre native to the danube basin and introduced worldwide from there.

The original danube carp were whats known as wild carp, very streamlined (youd know if ever hooked one), very rare in this country and possibly absent. The carp you see mooching about were selectively bred for their size and reduction in scales... hence mirrors and leathers.

Same species though.

They cant really be classed as introduced any more (unlike Australia) as theyve been resident for a good thousand years.

Sorry this is going to be off topic. I went down to the canal last night and found a young buck that had been run down quite recently so when we went to the boat I grabbed some gloves and bin liners and bagged it up and took it home. At midnight I started to possess it. I only managed to save the front leg joints and neck meat. I also kept the "cape" wich is the pelt from the shoulders up. Im hoping to turn that into a head mount. The horns were small only about 5-8" in length. And it weighed close to 50lb. So my question is, any good deer recipes?

One of the biggest surprises for us this summer was seeing salmon leaping in the River Tyne at Newcastle. Didnt think the Tyne was that clean, in fact it looked incredibly dirty as we cruised upstream through the docks. Just shows looks cn be decieving I suppose.

was probley being chased by a richard the third fish

At midnight I started to possess it.

rolleyes.gif

Sorry this is going to be off topic. I went down to the canal last night and found a young buck that had been run down quite recently so when we went to the boat I grabbed some gloves and bin liners and bagged it up and took it home. At midnight I started to possess it. I only managed to save the front leg joints and neck meat. I also kept the "cape" wich is the pelt from the shoulders up. Im hoping to turn that into a head mount. The horns were small only about 5-8" in length. And it weighed close to 50lb. So my question is, any good deer recipes?

red wine and capers are good bed buddy's I normally go for a nice stew slow cooked for ages mmmmmmmmm

I once recovered a small Roe Deer that had apparently died from a RTC. Took it home, gutted it and hung it in the bathroom. After a few days the stink was intolerable and the bathroom continued to stink long after I disposed of the carcase.

I like my game and beef hung for a few weeks but this venison became totally unpalletable (putrid?). I still do not know what I did wrong. I often hung pheasant (ungutted) in the woodshed.

If you or your guests are unused to game and venison do not hang it. Any beef recipe will be good. Make Beef Bourguignon with venison and no one will notice the difference unless you tell them.

Alan

Yuk! you don't know how long it had been lying there with the guts still in, don't know what the temperature is over there at the moment but if it's not below 5c the toxins would be well and truly into the meat, I'd be very carefull.

You can catch Zander and eat it as well, it is classed as an invasive species and once caught can not be placed back in to the canal or rivers. In fact it tastes quite nice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zander

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/8478068/Dirty-Dozen-invasive-species-named.html

yeah, you wont get many complaints about eating zander, best to smoke them in the flue first but basically they are the sea bass of the canal, eels are endangered and all fish 4 inches and below are scarce because of the zander and everything else is being poached by some individuals.

in my opinion you just cant beat fresh sea fish, put the coarse fish back

the innards need to come out of deer immediately, that meat will be tainted otherwise, the kidneys in particular spoil the meat if left in more than a few hours