Which fish can I eat?

Jez Walsh

Featured Posts

Yes, such products are good when you can find them. Some upper-end supermarket charcuterie products live up to expectations, but not all: I fairly recently bought a supposed top-of-the-range pork pie which was lacking in flavour and texture, had a greasy, lardy crust and was less than appetising. It was on special offer. I now understand why.

A Yorkshire teaching mate of mine used to refer to lesser pork pies as "growlers", an apt epithet which I haven't heard for years. He also dubbed baked beans "lifters". He was, as you've probably guessed, the P.E. master.

Edited by Athy

Most Pork Pies are gross, like fatty parcels with little grey brains.

A lot of Steak Pies have Veins in them - thats a put off for sure.

Meat and Potatoe Pies with Brown Sauce smothered on top are a Winner - yummy yum yum.tongue.png

Edited by brassedoff

For anyone on the HNC around lunchtime, I can recommend the Hand Made Bakery next to canal at Slaithwaite. At about 11.45am they serve up a tray of savoury Danish's. There's always a queue for them and when they're gone, they're gone (which is mostly by midday) but they're the best £2.50 anyone can spend on fast food.

Adjacent to to guillotine lock and the Empire micro brewery.

• 1 month later...

I've just bought a large trout from my local fishmonger - caught in one of the pits adjacent to Colwick marina. Last one I had ate really well - we fed 5 people off a £15 fish. Nothing wrong with eating freshwater fish. Carp is good as well, but I've only had it in France. TBH Rick Stein's deli did a pike pate that was ok, but massively overpriced

I've just bought a large trout from my local fishmonger - caught in one of the pits adjacent to Colwick marina. Last one I had ate really well - we fed 5 people off a £15 fish. Nothing wrong with eating freshwater fish. Carp is good as well, but I've only had it in France. TBH Rick Stein's deli did a pike pate that was ok, but massively overpriced

Is it?

I was lead to believe it tasted like the smell of wet earth. But I've never tried it. How does one cook it (given it is on sale in Morrisons these days)?.

Is it?

I was lead to believe it tasted like the smell of wet earth. But I've never tried it. How does one cook it (given it is on sale in Morrisons these days)?.

Hi Mike found this on a USA web site. Enjoy

Fred

Bringing Home the Fish

Like all fish, carp spoil easily. It's best to gut, gill and ice them down within a short time after catching. Be sure to remove all the blood along the backbone and from the body cavity as this blood causas faster spoilage. Some experts claim the flavor is improved by cutting the tail off and allowing the fish to bleed before cleaning it, and by removing the dark meat along its side before cooking by any method.

Since most people agree that the skin tends to add a strong, fishy flavor, you will probably want to skin your carp. The fish can then can be filleted, halved or left whole for stuffing and baking. Regardless of whether it is to be fried or baked, the carp should be "scored." Slice two-thirds of the way through the meat every 1/8 to 1/4 inch with a sharp knife. Scoring allows heat and cooking oils to penetrate and soften the fish's many small bones.

Cooking Techniques

Deep-fat Frying

Dip scored carp pieces into a batter, place in the hot oil and cook until they are a crisp, deep golden brown. For a variation on your usual cornmeal batter, try dipping the fish in a milk, egg, salt and pancake flour mixture.

Baking

Carp can be baked whole or in pieces, but it should be basted occasionally with something such as lemon butter. A four-pound, scored carp will take about 45 minutes to cook in a 350-degree oven. Several strips of bacon laid over the fish will eliminate the need for basting. A whole fish can be baked with the following stuffing:

• 4 cups bread crumbs
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
  • 3/4 cup finely cut celery
  • 6 tablespoons melted butter
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon sage

Cook celery and onion for a few minutes in the butter. Mix the other ingredients and add them to the butter mixture. Wipe dressed fish with damp cloth and salt lightly inside and out. Stuff with dressing and sew or tie with string to retain stuffing. Place in preheated oven and bake at 375 degrees for one hour.

Hi Gang,

Not been well lately, (Still ain't right) but neededa pick me up, So went out for a Mornings cruise the other day, Got about 16 mile out, and dropped a Mackerel or two while I had my coffee and watched the Sun come up, After 2 hrs Circle Drifting over a wreak I Harvested

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kohwh9jupjl8q58/IMAG0992_1.jpg?dl=0

A 50 cms Bass, A 47 cms Cod and a 45 cms Bass, & after getting back late afternoon, and prepping the catch They was All welcome additions to my Freezer, among the Pollack, Huss, Rabbit, Wood Pigeon, and a Pheasant Breast, yep I like my meat .

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

£15 for a trout!

You were had............

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I think you need  permission/licence from EA to catch Signal Crayfish. An approved net [so no  otters are drowned] and a plastic label from EA.  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/permission-to-trap-crayfish-eels-elvers-salmon-and-sea-trout#crayfish-trap-authorisation

Water voles are endangered to some extent, so you need to be careful not to drown them.

Edited by LadyG

My local fishmonger sells organic salmon [farmed, but in a clean tidal stream], its almost as good as the real thing which is Hebridean Wild [poached,  or as I prefer to say, caught] by crofters for the pot.

I quite like the idea of fly fishing in a brook, and used to carry a rod on my bike, but I don't remember ever catching one. As kids we used to guddle trout for supper, and very fine eating they made.

I would not eat coarse fish.

Edited by LadyG

15 hours ago, LadyG said:

its almost as good as the real thing which is Hebridean Wild [poached,  or as I prefer to say, caught] by crofters for the pot.

ISTR the reason we fly-fish for salmon and trout is to give them a sporting chance.

I understand they are greedy bar stewards that will take a worm on a hook in an instant making them dead easy to catch if you set aside the artificial 'rules' of game fishing.