Which fish can I eat?

Jez Walsh

Featured Posts

Depends what you consider 'good'.

I've eaten pike that I've caught and I'm in no hurry to try it again. Perch is said to be nice but never tried it. Carp is prized by Polish peeps but again, I've heard it tastes of mud.

Hard to beat a nice bit of turbot or hake in my opinion...

MtB

Hi there. I started fishing a few months ago. I mainly fish in canals and was wondering if any of the fish I catch are any good for eating? I've heard pike is good.

I have heard that many east Europeans eat fish caught in the canals. I also read somewhere that perch used to be an English delicacy.

I suggest you check your local angling licence about the regulations concerning the removal of fish and then tell us what they taste like.

I wouldn't want to try any myself, but I await your reply with interest.

Do everyone a favour and remove only American Signal Crayfish to eat. Strictly speaking you need a CaRT licence for this see link below.

NB CaRT state:

"It is an offence to take any fish away from a canal or reservoir under the 1968 Theft Act and Environment Agency Byelaws. The reporter should telephone the Environment Agency 0800 807060 immediately"

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/contact-us/faqs/fishing

Do everyone a favour and remove only American Signal Crayfish to eat. Strictly speaking you need a CaRT licence for this see link below.

NB CaRT state:

"It is an offence to take any fish away from a canal or reservoir under the 1968 Theft Act and Environment Agency Byelaws. The reporter should telephone the Environment Agency 0800 807060 immediately"

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/contact-us/faqs/fishing

What about rivers and lakes?

Phil

What about rivers and lakes?

Phil

Would you need the riparian owners permission on a river?

If the water is clean enough for fish to survive there can't be much wrong with eating the fish - health-wise at least.

Fish can survive in some pretty manky water though wacko.png

One of the biggest surprises for us this summer was seeing salmon leaping in the River Tyne at Newcastle. Didnt think the Tyne was that clean, in fact it looked incredibly dirty as we cruised upstream through the docks. Just shows looks cn be decieving I suppose.

Pike is very good if when gutted and scaled, season it, rub with buttter, and wrap in foil witha little white wine then bake.

Carp were always kept in "carp ponds" by monastries as food fish for monks (cue gags about Monk fish)

Phil

Hmmm! Phil, the pike you ate must have been a different sort to the one I had in France......cottonwool filled with pins comes to mind

Are crayfish fish .

As others have said pike is very bony basically 1 bone to each flake of meat BUT if one had the inclination and patience then you could remove each bone and replace with salmon flakes .yummy

Hmmm! Phil, the pike you ate must have been a different sort to the one I had in France......cottonwool filled with pins comes to mind

My assessment of them too. Pike meat is similarly mushy in texture to river cobbler. But with MORE BONES.

Maybe I overcooked it...

MtB

The link below shows the CRT guidelines. It does state that it is illegal to remove fish

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/features/guidelines-for-fishing-along-canals-and-rivers

Increasingly there are actual signs beside the cut that say you are not allowed to remove them.

On a related subject, given the general unpallatability of freshwater fish, I often wonder what fish were 'cultivated' in the ancient fisheries one often sees mentioned on maps and when out and about on the cut.

I can't think of an example right now but I think they are often associated with mills and mill streams too.

Anyone here eaten carp? What's it like?

I saw fresh carp on sale in Morrisons here a few weeks ago!!!!

MtB

My assessment of them too. Pike meat is similarly mushy in texture to river cobbler. But with MORE BONES.

Maybe I overcooked it...

MtB

I think you must have had it over cooked, whenever I've cooked it I have ended up with a meaty flesh, not unlike frash Salmon which again is another fresh water fish.

Regarding farmed/cultivated fish and ponds related to, again it was all down to the Monks, remember that monestries did own many water mills. The river Slea in Lincolnshire at one time had over 40 mills owned by the church, only Coggleford nr Sleaford remains.

Phil

Thanks for the replys guys. I know a spot on the canal after the Hanwell flight of locks where I have seen some big carp. But if it isn't legal ill stick to just catching them. Are there crayfish in canals?

Yes, but I wouldn't eat anything at all from the Lea/Lee below, say, Waltham Town, it's one of the filthiest rivers in the UK

http://www.thames21.org.uk/project/lovethelea/

I met some Swiss guys on a hire boat on L.Erne in N.Ireland and they were filleting small perch.They said they were sending them home to their family in an ice box as presents for family.Apparently they are a major delicacy over there. they just fry them in butter and garlic and bobs yer uncle.