Help?

jollymoggy

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I am new to narrow boating and I'm jumping in at the deep end. Basically I've always wanted to do this all my life and now i'm going for it. Its a now or never situation really. Anyway more to the point is I've found a boat I like on gumtree, it looks great and I plan to view it tomorrow.

Link: http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/57-foot-narrow-boat-2004/1082030360

Does this look like a genuine advertisement to you guys?

I plan to live on this boat permanently with my partner, we plan to cruise for 1 year seeing all the sights.

Now I have one more question, how should I arrange payment for this boat without getting scammed. Do I just send a bank transfer for the full amount or should I be going through some form of escrow?

Thanks all.

If the kitchen is a selling point, why is there no photo of it?

That one got me as well. Limited internal photos but the interior looks to resemble an older boat- just check the index number to confirm the age of it. The scams I have seen recently have avoided people visiting

If the kitchen is a selling point, why is there no photo of it?

She sent photos of the kitchen to me today. It is a nice boat. I'm going to view it tomorrow and she has no problems with that. I just want to make sure its not a scam, I'm probably just being paranoid but i've been scammed before unfortunately.

Worth pointing out that over time at least two forum members have had issues to some degree with boats built by STS boats, in one case, I think, claimed to be quite severe.

Might be a bit hard to search for with the forms own facilities though, as it can't handle a three character string like "STS", so will need to iuse a Google based site specific search, I think.

Worth pointing out that over time at least two forum members have had issues to some degree with boats built by STS boats, in one case, I think, claimed to be quite severe.

Might be a bit hard to search for with the forms own facilities though, as it can't handle a three character string like "STS", so will need to iuse a Google based site specific search, I think.

Thanks I will look that up.

Also I have my eyes on a boat in a marina but it doesn't have a CRT licence. Would I need to wait to receive my licence before I could take it away or can I obtain a temporary one? I did look it up but I was a little confused.

Thanks I will look that up.

Also I have my eyes on a boat in a marina but it doesn't have a CRT licence. Would I need to wait to receive my licence before I could take it away or can I obtain a temporary one? I did look it up but I was a little confused.

Phone them and they issue a licence and you can go with "licence in the post" in the window.

K

My advice is:

By all means offer a refundable deposit, but make your purchase subject to survey.

Get it surveyed by a reputable surveyor before you give a final "yes"!

(Ask on here for the name(s) of surveyors if you need - and state the town where the boat's moored - - you'll also need to arrange with a boatyard where it will be lifted out for the survey)

And, when all is happy - - negotiate the price, very very few boats sell for the asking price - particularly coming up to winter

Phone them and they issue a licence and you can go with "licence in the post" in the window.

K

That's good to know thanks :)

My advice is:

By all means offer a refundable deposit, but make your purchase subject to survey.

Get it surveyed by a reputable surveyor before you give a final "yes"!

(Ask on here for the name(s) of surveyors if you need - and state the town where the boat's moored - - you'll also need to arrange with a boatyard where it will be lifted out for the survey)

And, when all is happy - - negotiate the price, very very few boats sell for the asking price - particularly coming up to winter

Thanks. I just have one question. The one I'm interested in at a boat broker says its already had a recent survey and repairs done, should I trust them or should I be getting an independent surveyor? (The place i'm talking about is called venetian marina)

Thanks. I just have one question. The one I'm interested in at a boat broker says its already had a recent survey and repairs done, should I trust them or should I be getting an independent surveyor? (The place i'm talking about is called venetian marina)

Venetian Marina are, I believe just Whilton Marina's Northern base.

Stories about Whilton Marina's shady dealings business practices are legendary, so I suggest you treat Venetian in exactly the same manner.

Certainly do not trust a survey by their own surveyors - get your own from someone that is recommended by multiple people on here.

You'll have to have a look at the row about surveys and make your own mind up, but yes I believe you should get one done, paid for by you and using a recommended surveyor not one connected with either the seller or the broker.

K

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?s=bf9cfb1444768a20be5ad11aa617a510&showtopic=70285&hl=survey

No

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10594

As already mentioned, there seems to be a fair amount of water/condensation stained wood, both in the galley area as well as in the saloon. When you go to look at this boat, I'd open every cupboard and have a good whiff to see if you can smell damp anywhere.

And as others have recommended your better off getting your own surveyor and being there with them if at all possible when the survey is done.

good luck & it looks like a lovely paint job on the outside.....but speaking from experience, red is the worst color to have on the outside of a boat...it fades very quickly