Waste oil disposal

b0atman

Featured Posts

Plenty of marinas and boatyards will accept used engine oil for free in their waste disposal facilities.

You are lucky then - the engineer at our nearest marina levies an "environmental charge" for disposing of your old oil, even when he is charging a premium to do it for you as part of an engine service.

Both the garages that service my cars also add a charge to the invoice for disposal of old engine oil.

Although I was half joking with the bit about RN's they do reckon you can run them off old oil.....A tug I used to do some work on had a built in external filter system together with a external oil pump, when you had recycled the oil enough times you simply turned a valve and pumped the old oil straight into the bunkers. A couple of fishing boat skippers I know simply dump their old oil straight into the fuel tank without the filter system

I'd run my RN on it if I was brave enough...Does it mix Ok with red diesel! What about used synthetic oil?

I'd run my RN on it if I was brave enough...Does it mix Ok with red diesel! What about used synthetic oil?

I don't know the details but I know RN developed an add on preheater/filter system,

There was an article about it a few years ago in one of the comics.

As I was never likely to own an RN I didn't bother to keep the article or take much notice of when and where.

Although I was half joking with the bit about RN's they do reckon you can run them off old oil.....A tug I used to do some work on had a built in external filter system together with a external oil pump, when you had recycled the oil enough times you simply turned a valve and pumped the old oil straight into the bunkers. A couple of fishing boat skippers I know simply dump their old oil straight into the fuel tank without the filter system

A guy once near to me ran an old diesel car (possibly Peugeot) on waste oil mixed with diesel for years. He claimed not to filter it and just mixed it with diesel fuel.

I used to run an older VW T4 van, belonging to the T4 Forum where there is always a very good debate on using old oil as fuel for the vans!

Got rid of my old (1996) van and have now got a newer shiny T5 which I would not consider putting in any funny fuels as its a TDi. But if you have a look on their forums some interesting discussions on the subject!

EDT to change Oil Oil to read OLD oil.......

Edited by Dharl

Information on used engine oil here:

www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/topics/oil.htm

Quote:

Used engine oil

Frequent and prolonged contact with used engine oil may cause dermatitis and other skin disorders, including skin cancer.

Avoid unnecessary contact with used engine oil. Adopt safe systems of work, wear protective clothing which should be cleaned or replaced regularly. Don't keep oily rags in pockets as the oil will seep through overalls etc and affect the skin below. Maintain high standards of personal hygiene and cleanliness.

Use 'after-work' replenishing creams to replace skin oils. 'Barrier' creams can be useful in helping to wash away contamination from the skin but you should not rely on them acting as a full barrier to protect the skin.

And here:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/sr19.pdf

Information on used engine oil here:

www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/topics/oil.htm

Quote:

Used engine oil

Frequent and prolonged contact with used engine oil may cause dermatitis and other skin disorders, including skin cancer.

Avoid unnecessary contact with used engine oil. Adopt safe systems of work, wear protective clothing which should be cleaned or replaced regularly. Don't keep oily rags in pockets as the oil will seep through overalls etc and affect the skin below. Maintain high standards of personal hygiene and cleanliness.

Use 'after-work' replenishing creams to replace skin oils. 'Barrier' creams can be useful in helping to wash away contamination from the skin but you should not rely on them acting as a full barrier to protect the skin.

And here:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/sr19.pdf

Not sure how that's relevant?

Anyway.....yes, used engine oil can be used as fuel for diesels, but it requires an amount of processing to make it into a usable form. Same as used chip fat etc. Since my hobby is boating, not making fuel, I don't bother with the hassle and just buy it from a pump.

My engine manual (printed 1945) says waste sump oil can be used at up to 2% in the fuel.

"Used sump oil may be employed, disposing of it usefully in this way. It must be allowed to stand for a few days so that carbon and solid mater may settle, the oil being then drawn from near the top of the container."

So Gardners were recycling back then.

But no, I am not seriously considering doing this.

In Burnley on the L&L there is a canalside facility which invites all recyclables. It has a big plastic tank with a lid for used oils. Its the same site that the bin wagons run from. It is offside with a staging and dollies.

Tim

I have just asked the council in my area where to dispose of waste engine oil and will take said oil to this site in my car as it is maybe in excess of 5 miles from nearest canal.

My points are

1 luckily I have a car

2 I do not pay council tax so surely it is not right to expect locals to fund this

3 Why do CRT not have some waste oil points spread around the system

May I ask where you dispose of the oil from your car when changing same?

So far I have managed to take my used engine oil to council recycling facilities where, as another poster has pointed out, they get paid for recycling it (clue in the name I think). The only place I had a problem was in the Bath/Bristol area where they won't let you into the recycling facilities unless you can prove residence. When purchasing from a local Halfords in that area I asked them for advice on oil disposal and received the priceless answer of,"...dunno, tip it down the drain I s'pose...". I was so gobsmacked I didn't really know what to say (suffice to say it didn't go down the drain!).

I'd find a way to burn it somehow. Burning it to produce heat is the cleanest thing you can do with it. YouTube videos of waste oil stoves are endless, just go and have a look. Also if you have a diesel heater it must be safe to pop the oil in that tank - wouldn't you think? Or perhaps not (but I'd certainly give it a shot).