Waste oil disposal

b0atman

Featured Posts

I have just asked the council in my area where to dispose of waste engine oil and will take said oil to this site in my car as it is maybe in excess of 5 miles from nearest canal.

My points are

1 luckily I have a car

2 I do not pay council tax so surely it is not right to expect locals to fund this

3 Why do CRT not have some waste oil points spread around the system

Plenty of marinas and boatyards will accept used engine oil for free in their waste disposal facilities.

Used oil has a value. A truck turns up on our industrial site to collect for recycling. Another reviuue stream for CART?

That's interesting, do they pay you? Or is it one of these wastes where there is a value but its low, and the other costs associated with storage/disposal effectively cancel it out?

Do you think the tank would only contain oil, Have you seen how some people abuse recycling bins.

The guys who run our local tip pour all kinds in the oil tank. They poured my antifreeze in there last time I changed it.

No I wouldn,t just dump it in fact I have 2 containers from last 2 services to dispose of .

When I worked a company supplied us with free rags and containers for waste oil which along with the oily rags they collected .

Probably to be refined and sold as cheap oil "where there's muck there's money"

I've come across 2 options used by a local garage. 1st is to use it as fuel for a heater that they use to heat the workshop. The second is that they mix it with any fuel they drain from cars as part of any jobs they do on fuel systems and put it in a tank marked mixed fuel. They run their Land Rover off it.

• Old diesel engines (pre 1998ish) will run on pretty much anything, cooking oil, biodiesel, old sump oil etc. Not very good for the environment but in the old days whenever the oil was changed on the tractor it went straight into the fuel tank and mixed with the diesel. My car, 2002 golf diesel, runs on biodiesel that I make myself from old chip shop grease. It is actually faster but has a strange bacon smell from the exhaust. This is why old oil is valuable it is a fuel for those in the know.

If CaRT don't want waste oil being slung into wheelie bins then they must provide some diposal points. When we were full time ccers with no car we would have to cart the stuff around for ages until such times as we hired a car, even then we couldn't always find a disposal point. With oil changes every 100 hours it soon mounted up, we sometimes had to bite the bullet and pay a boatyard to let us offload it.

Although I was half joking with the bit about RN's they do reckon you can run them off old oil.....A tug I used to do some work on had a built in external filter system together with a external oil pump, when you had recycled the oil enough times you simply turned a valve and pumped the old oil straight into the bunkers. A couple of fishing boat skippers I know simply dump their old oil straight into the fuel tank without the filter system

My god what a negative attitude we are on the canals therefore under CRT not the responsibility of council tax payers.

Fly tipping occurs when lowlifes are about but maybe would not be so prevalent if facilities where provided .

My god what a negative attitude we are on the canals therefore under CRT not the responsibility of council tax payers.

Fly tipping occurs when lowlifes are about but maybe would not be so prevalent if facilities where provided .

I think it positive, its your oil you should be responsible for disposing of it correctly not expect someone else to do it for you. The money I pay CaRT can be better spent than disposing of your used oil. I feel the same about free showers and Launderettes that run at a loss.

Not all boatyards or marinas will take used oil, even if you offer to pay them, because they are not licensed to do so. Often I find I have to carry the used oil around for a couple of weeks, asking at each yard we pass, before I find someone who will take it.

ETA and last time that I passed my used antifreeze to a boatyard to dispose of it, the guy just looked over his shoulder before tipping it into the cut for me!

Edited by Keeping Up