Berkhamstead

mark99

Featured Posts

We are taking a return trip to Berko next week from Harefield. Any recommendations for pubs?

NB is it permitted to moor overnight in Berko on the offside? (near the grass/park area).

Just realised I spelt the town name incorrectly but cannot edit.

Edited by mark99

Strictly there are signs on the non-towpath side saying "no overnight mooring" but people do, and I can't see it being enforced.

Personally I wouldn't, as the local youth are often around much of the night, and you could be disturbed. Although Berkhamsted is a "posh" town, there can certainly be problems with drugs and alcohol down there, though I would say usually only a weekend thing.

My personal preference would be to avoid the pound between locks 52 and 53 altogether, and moor somewhere like below the lock at the Rising Sun (55) which is quieter altogether, and suffers less train noise.

The "Riser" is the best drinking pub on the canal for miles, but is only a drinking pub, and doesn't do food. Food available at the Boat at the next lock up, but this is a modern pub without the charms of the Rising Sun. Both are better pubs than the Crystal Palace, in my view.. Plenty of restaurants now of differing types in the town, which has largely avoided the economic recession throughout,

Alan,

Thanks excellent. No doubt we shall have a pint in the pub at Winkwell too.

OK-ish usually, but I can't declare it a favourite.

To be honest, despite passing through a lot of built up area, there aren't a huge number of quality pubs canal-side, or close to canal-side on that stretch in my view.

But, of course, it depends what you are after!

OK-ish usually, but I can't declare it a favourite.

To be honest, despite passing through a lot of built up area, there aren't a huge number of quality pubs canal-side, or close to canal-side on that stretch in my view.

But, of course, it depends what you are after!

After forcing our way up that lock (it's not an easy lock) last time the pub was a welcome retreat. We had a good meal in there/decent beer but spoiled by a noisy drunken family with kids running about out of control with the managmenet not willing to curb their behaviour.

A lot of these destination pubs with prime positions do seem to be run by numbers/chains with no more than a middling experience.

I moor on the offside park area in berko everytime I stop there, which can be two or three times a year.

I have never had a problem with kids, though the skateboard thing can be a bit noisy. The police patrol it a couple of times a night.

I've also spoken to a council rep, who assures me they don't have a problem with mooring there, as long as it's not beside the kids play area.

They also do not appreciate people taking the pee by using crt winter moorings on that particular spot.

Edited by jenlyn

I moor on the offside park area in berko everytime I stop there, which can be two or three times a year.

I have never had a problem with kids, though the skateboard thing can be a bit noisy. The police patrol it a couple of times a night.

I've also spoken to a council rep, who assures me they don't have a problem with mooring there, as long as it's not beside the kids play area.

They also do not appreciate people taking the pee with using crt winter moorings on that particular spot.

Cheers that's useful. I saw your boat there last time but no-one aboard as we passed through.

Agree with Alan, the Riser is the best pub along there, especially if you like Cider.

Loads of places to eat in town, bring plenty of ££ with you though as most are quite expensive.

I'd avoid the the Old Mill if I were you, really expensive and not great (£20-25 for a steak that wasn't anything special at all).

If you need a break on the way up maybe try the Kings Lodge at Langleybury, serves Tring beers and London Pride at £2.50 a pint, cheapest for miles around!

I love Berko and have stopped there quite a few times although never for more than one night.

I've moored on both the towpath side and the off-side in the Waitrose pound with no problems. The towpath side you'll have to use pins, which is why I prefer the offside. I have seen the 'no mooring' signs but as there is always a few boats on that side I took a chance and had a quiet night. There is also the added bonus of being piling on that side.

I don't think anything needs to be added about pubs.

Berko is a lovely town and if I wanted to spend a few months stationary this winter I would definitely winter moor there.

Strictly there are signs on the non-towpath side saying "no overnight mooring" but people do, and I can't see it being enforced.

Personally I wouldn't, as the local youth are often around much of the night, and you could be disturbed. Although Berkhamsted is a "posh" town, there can certainly be problems with drugs and alcohol down there, though I would say usually only a weekend thing.

My personal preference would be to avoid the pound between locks 52 and 53 altogether, and moor somewhere like below the lock at the Rising Sun (55) which is quieter altogether, and suffers less train noise.

The "Riser" is the best drinking pub on the canal for miles, but is only a drinking pub, and doesn't do food. Food available at the Boat at the next lock up, but this is a modern pub without the charms of the Rising Sun. Both are better pubs than the Crystal Palace, in my view.. Plenty of restaurants now of differing types in the town, which has largely avoided the economic recession throughout,

I'm sure I had a nice Chinese meal at "the Riser" a few years ago. Actually it was probably at least 10 years ago, so I guess that's changed. I remember I was accosted by a nutty woman drinker who told me I didn't look like a boater "with their stupid clothes and stupid hats".

Some local idiots tried to set my boat adrift when I was moored on the waitrose pound about 15 years ago. They succeeded with one of my neighbours.

They weren't "kids" either.

Edited by blackrose

When we went down to Brentford week before last we moored right outside The Crystal palace pub - new management and a no nonsense pub. Does food but only up to 3 pm I believe. No problems whatsoever and it all goes quiet around 11 pm. Last night we moored just above Fishery Lock, again no problems.

Edited by tillergirl

I am going that way this weekend or early next week. I was thinking of mooring between bridge 142 and 141 near The Crystal Palace (I think), or between bridge 141 and lock 53 on the bend (not actually ON the bend though). Probably stay for a couple of weeks. If you do a short walk from bridge 141 into the high street you are met with The Crown (Wetherspoons). Great pub grub and prices for ale.

Any further thoughts?

If you do a short walk from bridge 141 into the high street you are met with The Crown (Wetherspoons). Great pub grub and prices for ale.

Any further thoughts?

Yes, I am a spoon man myself and appreciate the low beer prices, but I don't think anyone can honestly claim that they do great pub grub. It's ok for the price, but that's about it.

Hi Blackrose, I think great might have been a little OTT but for the price the food is both adequate and tasty. I know that there are a lot of other pubs doing food but the prices go up and are they actually more nutritious than the Spoons food. TBH, I've never had a bad meal in a Spoons and believe me I've been in quite a few now. But hey, everyone to their own eh !!

Are you anywhere up this end? cause I noticed a lovely black wide beam at Berko when I did my rece yesterday

Edited by Daiboy

Rising sun for sometimes 20 ciders and 5/6 ales constantly changing. Hand drawn cooking cider is called 'the riser'. Best I've had and only 5.2% so can drink several!

Camera cider and real ale pub of the year a few times.

3 x big Waimaraner dogs.

Moor up on towpath before lock, think it's two days max now. If you go to Marsworth, the Eed Lion is not to be missed!

Only food at the Riser is a hearty plough mans. Friday eves at 6 they bring lovely free food around, very tasty and filling.

The Moons pub in town is one of the nicest (Architecturally) around.

Also the George at Northchurch dies a great pint if Trbute .. Or Doombar, can't remember but in perfect condition.

Moor up on towpath before lock, think it's two days max now.

No it isn't - that is one battle we have won so far, and the whole town remains as 14 days.

Can you explain where "The Moons" pub yoy mention is - I live in Berkhamsted, and haven't heard of it.

No it isn't - that is one battle we have won so far, and the whole town remains as 14 days.

Can you explain where "The Moons" pub yoy mention is - I live in Berkhamsted, and haven't heard of it.

Sorry, I thought it was kicking in when I saw their 'zone maps a a couple of months back, really great news! How about Marsworth - and when did this change?

Sorry, I always refer to Weatherpersons as Moons, I think because my dyslexic mate does and it's rubbed off! :-) Used to be the Crown didn't it?