(Light Hearted) Business Opportunity

junior

Featured Posts

On the subject of asking for investments I had a idea at the weekend if anyone's giving money out.....

A pub boat!!!!!!

I'd call it "The Ale Boat"

Just imagine on a cold winters night, popping in for pint, the stove pumping, great beer, plesant chit chat.

Next day, off to somewhere else.

On the subject of asking for investments I had a idea at the weekend if anyone's giving money out.....

A pub boat!!!!!!

I'd call it "The Ale Boat"

Just imagine on a cold winters night, popping in for pint, the stove pumping, great beer, plesant chit chat.

Next day, off to somewhere else.

Cool idea.

I think this would give the licensing authorities a BIG headache!

Mtb

I think Luctor got a fire damaged historic boat cheap and started out like that.

I remember him in Stoke converting it.

Hello ;-)

Yes, I did. And I spend three interesting years living on that boat. As for making a living, only if you make around 200 to 300 a week. That is about 200 bags of coal, every week, more if you have to pay the vat..

Or about 2000 liters of diesel, every week.

Or about 20 to 30 pump outs. Every week.

If you have a breakdown, you're fecked. If you fall ill, you're fecked

If it rains, you get wet.

If the canal freezes over, you're fecked.

And you better be a people person....

Stopped by a boater whilst on your way, only to be asked for a tenners worth of diesel.......

Being told that "I can get coal/diesel/logs for half that price" tends to get a tad disagreeable after a while.

And as per Dave (DMR) says, if that is true, I sold my boat last year just in time.

Good luck.

"Where can you get 10% return on an investment?" Rental houses in many northern towns, right now. Choose whichever Lancashire town you like. Burnley, Blackburn, Darwen, Preston, Accrington, probably more. The little terraces will possibly be painted pink and frequented by multiple races (or just one). Pay your 40K and get your £375 per month all day long. Of course you won't have the potential capital growth of London (or capital loss maybe:) but you can rest assured that you're providing a nice altruistic service, easing the burden caused by massive immigration and chilbirth into an already crowded country, whilst making plenty, enough to have a nice existence on the canal, away from all the dross.

"Where can you get 10% return on an investment?" Rental houses in many northern towns, right now. Choose whichever Lancashire town you like. Burnley, Blackburn, Darwen, Preston, Accrington, probably more. The little terraces will possibly be painted pink and frequented by multiple races (or just one). Pay your 40K and get your £375 per month all day long. Of course you won't have the potential capital growth of London (or capital loss maybe:) but you can rest assured that you're providing a nice altruistic service, easing the burden caused by massive immigration and chilbirth into an already crowded country, whilst making plenty, enough to have a nice existence on the canal, away from all the dross.

You're the dross you racist scum bag.

For example, one of our properties cost £100,000 to buy, annual income after tax and agent's fees £4,500, hence profit 4.5%. Simples (I think).

This is assuming, good tenants, who pay on time and don't smash up the property. Plus not having to do any repairs like a new roof, gas boiler etc.

:(

B*ll*x. Buying a house and renting it out does not increase the supply of accommodation one jot.

The house is there whether or not you buy it and rent it out, or buy it and live in it yourself. Buying northern houses to rent out is simply tinkering with the flow of the little green pieces of paper (to use the H2G2 term for money). Nothing altruistic about it.

The only thing that increases the supply of accommodation is building new homes. Whether they be hoses, flats, boats, caravans, whatever.

MtB

*edited post*...

This is offensive and uncalled for. I am sure that many people on here would like you to edit your post, and those of us who are landlords would quite like an apology also. Have you got some sort of grudge against rented property?

You're the dross you racist scum bag.

Not feeling well today, Mr. Cat? Several people have asked where they can find an investment which yields 10% profit. Ricco proffers what appears to be a viable business idea, only for you to launch into gratuitous abuse. Why? Edited by FadeToScarlet
Remove quote

This is assuming, good tenants, who pay on time and don't smash up the property. Plus not having to do any repairs like a new roof, gas boiler etc.

sad.png

Absolutely. That's why we use a property agency, who interview prospective tenants and selects the right ones. They have not been wrong yet. One of our properties did indeed need a new boiler, the other needed a new gas fire for the lounge, but these are tax-deductible so the financial pain is not too severe!

This is offensive and uncalled for. I am sure that many people on here would like you to edit your post, and those of us who are landlords would quite like an apology also. Have you got some sort of grudge against rented property?

You're right, my post was to general and brief. My apologies for that.

What I do not apologise for is having a hatred for crooked landlords, who use the system to rip people off, renting out substandard housing, for ripoff rents.

What I do not apologise for is having a hatred for crooked landlords, who use the system to rip people off, renting out substandard housing, for ripoff rents.

Much appreciated. I agree, crooked landlords who charge exorbitant rents are an unpleasant species. I think that they are less prevalent than they were in the era of the infamous Rachman, or at least we hear less about them in this country.

There are basic standards in place now for all rented property. The place MUST be 'habitable' ie with working and safe WC, hot water, heating and electrical systems. If they are not the local council has the power to put things right and collect payment from the landlord on pain of confiscating his or her property.

If its a house of multiple occupation, the standarss are extremely strict, including licencing of the landlord. Rachman LLs are virtually extinct now except in those cases where the tenant is as big a scumbag as the landlord.

MtB

Just like to put our experience of being a landlord.

We sold a largish house and downsized. The intention was to get a boat with the residual money, and still have somewhere to live if our health failed.

The first tenants were Polish. Wonderful people, no problem at all . We think that they sublet one room to a friend, but that didn't matter to us.

After they left I was asked if we would take a tenant on social support. We wanted to do our bit, and despite being warned that they can be trouble we agreed.

It was a mistake. Trouble getting the rent on time many times. When we finally decided that health issues meant we had to give up boating the house was left in a terrible state and still owed us more than a month's rent.

OK we're soft, but it doesn't give hope. Many landlords are refusing social tenants, and I can see why.

Bob

OK we're soft, but it doesn't give hope. Many landlords are refusing social tenants, and I can see why.

Tenants on 'social support' usually have very little slack in their financial affairs. This, combined with them getting constantly dicked about by the benefits system often leads to them not actually having the rent to pay on time. Each time their circumstances change (e.g. new job, change in income) their housing benefit gets stopped until the council get around to re-assessing their benefit payment.

Some of the nicest and most honest tenants get forced to mess around their landlords because of this. And yes it's why fewer and fewer LLs accept benefits claimants. On the other hand a long term benefit claimant can end up staying in the same house or flat for years or decades making for an very easy life for a landlord. No pesky tenant changes again, ever! A very good low risk business model, getting back on topic.

MtB

Absolutely. That's why we use a property agency, who interview prospective tenants and selects the right ones. They have not been wrong yet. One of our properties did indeed need a new boiler, the other needed a new gas fire for the lounge, but these are tax-deductible so the financial pain is not too severe!

I agree, just pointing out to non landlords that it isn't a risk free investment.

:)

PS Hope you don't ever get the tenants from hell.

:)