New name, new picture.

Emerald Fox

Featured Posts

Would anyone have any thoughts on this? We are making new picture & name for the sides of our NB.

I've found a local artist whose style is the kind of thing we're after - actually I have one of the 2 pictures ready, she just has to copy that, the other picture is undecided - and then there would be text.

(there would be 2 identical pictures on both sides of the boat, each consisting of 2 pictures and 1-3 pieces of text).

We had the idea that she could paint the 2 pictures and the text onto thin aluminium sheet (all seperate pieces, 3 or 5 pieces for each side). The pictures would then be cut out and edges smoothed, and we could stick these pieces to the side of the boat, onto the steel panel which would be painted a suitable background colour.

What kind of glue should be used, and how can this be done so that rainwater doesn't seep between the steel panel and the aluminium plates?

Is there anything wrong with this idea?

The 2 (small) pictures would be approx 15" x 11".

The advantage is that we'd have the pictures ready and just slap them on, rather than have someone painting them on directly (when you don't know what the weather will be).

Would aluminium sheet need to be treated before painting onto it?

Would stainless steel sheet be better? (and treatment for that before painting?)

No hurry - to be done after this coming Winter.

I suggest the best form of adhesion would be something such as sikaflex/marineflex, (although epoxy adhesives would work too.

However, I wonder if the combination of steel and aluminium would create corrosion of the aluminium sheets (aluminium tends to oxidise very easily)

Have you considered using thin sheet stainless instead?

Just get your artist to print it on any substrate that they like. Then scan it and have it printed by a vehicle graphics company onto a self adhesive material. Then stick that on your boat. Very simple!

These days any art you want reproduced on both sides of a boat (or whatever) is more economical and long lasting using a vinyl graphic. It's not Traditional but you can bet your doughnuts that if the commercial carriers were running today, it's how they'd sign write their boats.

Pretty much what everybody above have said is right in parts, stainless would be far superior to Ali, thin Ali is cooking foil and will tear,even land rovers usually have checker plate stuck on the weak areas for this reason, etch primer would need to be applied to give a key and getting it printed on vinyl would avoid all the above, a third option would be to paint it on ply put architrave around the edge varnish it to death then just stick it on with silkaflex or a couple of small screws behind the architrave but remember to silicone the scew holes to stop them becoming rust spots

As a working signwriter, I'd suggest the vinyl route for this sort of work. Much easier than buggering about with aluminium and others have already pointed out the pitfalls of using it. The finished piece can be applied in moments and should be durable if good quality vinyl is used.

Good luck!

Dave

• Greenie 2

even land rovers usually have checker plate stuck on the weak areas for this reason

They're made of Birmabright which is an aluminium alloy. The checker plate is usually for bling though people put it on the wings so they can stand on it and not slip. When we mix alloy and steel panels there's a filler piece inserted to keep the two metals apart to prevent corrosion.

They're made of Birmabright which is an aluminium alloy. The checker plate is usually for bling though people put it on the wings so they can stand on it and not slip. When we mix alloy and steel panels there's a filler piece inserted to keep the two metals apart to prevent corrosion.

as a long time owner of a 1975 landy I can assure you it's not bling, the rear back lower corner of most working landy,s is creased and torn so a panel of checker gives this weak area more strength, the bottom of the back doors normally react with the steel frame inside and corrodes likewise as you say the front wing tops, mine have been stood on from the year dot and dip in quite badly in fact they have puddles in when it rains I have had to replace both of the side wings as they also split and tore from the downward pressure so again the checker is for strength rather than looks, I don't know much about birmabright but I know all the old landy panels I've weighed in over the years have gone straight in the aluminium bin so I would imagine it acts in much the same way as Ali
  • Greenie 1

I would go with vinyl, we use the system on waste containers and they can still look good after 10+ years.

As people seem to treat the containers with the same regard as that which they put into them, it is a pretty harsh life: unless, of course, some muppet sets fire to the container they then look pretty sick.

5th

I believe Birmabright is a magnesium/aluminium alloy which is why it was not used by Land Rover for the bulkhead/firewall between the engine and passenger compartment.

Alan

I would go with vinyl, we use the system on waste containers and they can still look good after 10+ years.

As people seem to treat the containers with the same regard as that which they put into them, it is a pretty harsh life: unless, of course, some muppet sets fire to the container they then look pretty sick.

Meep?

Thanks for answers! I'll look at the vinyl course. I have no idea how a picture is transferred onto/into vinyl but I can start asking one or two vinyl companies. Don't know how vinyl is stuck on to a steel side... and do the colours 'run'... so I'll ask. This kind of 'plastic' label did occur to us but it's unknown territory.

Does anyone here know of companies that do this vinyl work?

New name told only to those who ask ;)

We use logoshack for the signage on our containers.

http://www.logoshackltd.com/

I do not know if they will be able to help

Puting vinyls on needs care but it is relatively straight forward. Make sure they are aligned correctly and explel all air (no bubbles) by using a plastic scraper to apply them working from one side and they will last for years. I had vinyls on my last boat for 7 years they were OK but the paintwork was starting to fail.

hth

Alister

The panels on our butty have got aluminium sheets stuck on with Sikaflex and surrounded with a moulding. No problem at all. This has been on now for about fifteen yeas and a couple of years ago Dave Moore made a very good job of lettering it.

I used etching primer, undercoat and several coats of Craftmaster paint.

P1020007_zpsa3c66441.jpg