K&A CM UPDATE

b0atman

Featured Posts

I did feel that the Eastern end had rather more semi static boats last winter than in previous years so this might be a general trend rather than a mass exodus from the West.

..............Dave

Nothing at all to do with the fact that the Kennet and Thames were in flood for most of the November to March period then.

Nothing at all to do with the fact that the Kennet and Thames were in flood for most of the November to March period then.

Appearances and first impressions can be very deceptive, especially on the cut, but I did still get the impression that most of these boats never venture onto the Thames or even East of Newbury.

However I have been surprised at the number of K&A "continuous moorers" we have met up in the midlands this year.

.............Dave

We were on the K&A last winter, during the floods. We were moored on the 48hour moorings at Theale for a number of months. Before you jump up and down, this was at the request of C&RT who asked that we not endanger the boat or ourselves by moving. There were about 5 of us there, and we all chipped in to get the essentials such as water and elsans dealt with. PS, we had a winter mooring permit as well, but were safer where we were.

Ah, the one who was arbitrarily abusive and offensive then?

Why do you miss him?

MtB

Because he wouldn't take any s**t from people who rolled out the kanda cliches but who had never been there. He had some sort of honest conviction, unlike some who I wouldn't bend down to pick up a £50 in front of.
  • Greenie 1

Because he wouldn't take any s**t from people who rolled out the kanda cliches but who had never been there. He had some sort of honest conviction, unlike some who I wouldn't bend down to pick up a £50 in front of.

And get personally abusive if you disagreed with him.

Bob

Ah, disappointing answer.

I had you down as a sensible and intelligent poster but given your totally uncalled for homophobia, it looks as though I was wrong.

Do homophobic comments contravene the forum rules?

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Well I'm moored up on the 14 day moorings at Pewsey, and it's felt like I'm in the middle of the M1 today. There's been boats going in both directions all day. To the point I've seen more canal boats on the move today than any other day since we started our trip back in July. Mind you all the boats 7ish (still room for a couple more) that were on the 14 day moorings that were here when we arrived 2 days ago are all still here, but I have no idea how long they've been here.

There's been a fair amount of movement on the visitor moorings closer to the bridge, since we arrived. Even enough space for the Wessex Rose to take a mooring earlier this evening.

Ah, disappointing answer.

I had you down as a sensible and intelligent poster but given your totally uncalled for homophobia, it looks as though I was wrong.

Do homophobic comments contravene the forum rules?

MtB

Homophobia? Ok read whatever you want into it Mike. I wasn't referring to anyone's sexuality, which really is none of my concern or subject to any negative judgment from me, but rather to the opportunism of certain canal politicians who would kick you in the face if they thought it would benefit them. Edited by PiRSqwared

Homophobia? Ok read whatever you want into it Mike. I wasn't referring to anyone's sexuality, which really is none of my concern or subject to any negative judgment from me.

Ok, in that case could you explain what you meant when you wrote this please:

"unlike some who I wouldn't bend down to pick up a £50 in front of"

I really don't understand what you mean.

Thanks.

MtB

Ok, in that case could you explain what you meant when you wrote this please:

"unlike some who I wouldn't bend down to pick up a £50 in front of"

I really don't understand what you mean.

Thanks.

MtB

Please see my edit above. I always bend at the knees when picking up £50 notes. Edited by PiRSqwared

Well I'm moored up on the 14 day moorings at Pewsey, and it's felt like I'm in the middle of the M1 today. There's been boats going in both directions all day. To the point I've seen more canal boats on the move today than any other day since we started our trip back in July. Mind you all the boats 7ish (still room for a couple more) that were on the 14 day moorings that were here when we arrived 2 days ago are all still here, but I have no idea how long they've been here.

There's been a fair amount of movement on the visitor moorings closer to the bridge, since we arrived. Even enough space for the Wessex Rose to take a mooring earlier this evening.

Those visitor moorings are a disgrace. Only a grass bank so that many of the mooring rings have fallen or been pulled into the canal, along with along with the concrete fixings and great chunks of the earth bank. CRTs response is to put up some red plastic fencing rather than fix the problem properly. I don't know how long it has been like this.

Those visitor moorings are a disgrace. Only a grass bank so that many of the mooring rings have fallen or been pulled into the canal, along with along with the concrete fixings and great chunks of the earth bank. CRTs response is to put up some red plastic fencing rather than fix the problem properly. I don't know how long it has been like this.

I think CaRT are very aware of this but its not going to be easy to fix. Its a very high natural vertical edge to the canal and it has collapsed. This might be due to the crayfish or just due to the huge amount of use that it gets.I don't think steel piling or concrete would be acceptable. If you have any good ideas I suspect CaRT would be interested.

...............Dave

Yes you are right, as we walked to the shops the other day I did notice 1 of the rings encased in it's cement laying beside the towpath and another covered over with the red plastic fencing. I assumed this was to warn boaters not to use it as it was unsafe.

But to be honest, we carry full sets of pins as well as chains so if there are no rings provided on visitor moorings that are made up of a neatly kept grass bank its of no consequence to us.

Personally, I'd much rather CRT spend our money on keeping the canals dredged, and the lock paddle mechanization's in good working order as well as working water points & pump out facilities. And then if there's money left over, maybe spend a bit on cutting back some of the larger overhanging branches....but that's just my preferences of how I'd like to see my money spent.

Oh...and I wouldn't be opposed at all for a bit of it to be spent on putting some proper steps on the locks that have those blinkin useless stupid stirrups...again, just my two cents worth :)

Yes you are right, as we walked to the shops the other day I did notice 1 of the rings encased in it's cement laying beside the towpath and another covered over with the red plastic fencing. I assumed this was to warn boaters not to use it as it was unsafe.

But to be honest, we carry full sets of pins as well as chains so if there are no rings provided on visitor moorings that are made up of a neatly kept grass bank its of no consequence to us.

Personally, I'd much rather CRT spend our money on keeping the canals dredged, and the lock paddle mechanization's in good working order as well as working water points & pump out facilities. And then if there's money left over, maybe spend a bit on cutting back some of the larger overhanging branches....but that's just my preferences of how I'd like to see my money spent.

Oh...and I wouldn't be opposed at all for a bit of it to be spent on putting some proper steps on the locks that have those blinkin useless stupid stirrups...again, just my two cents worth smile.png

Those stirrups are difficult, if you've got wide feet like me then you cant even get a foot into them, but its all a compromise between making things easy for boaters and maintaining the historic character of the waterway.

The trouble with mooring pins at somewhere like Pewsey is that they are going to weaken the bank even more unless you put them well away from the edge where they get in the way of cyclists and pedestrians. Boats going past too fast are a big issue when the bank is fragile, that's why I get depressed by a contingent on this forum who maintain that there is no need to slow down past moored boats and boaters should just "learn to tie their boats up properly".

..............Dave

................Dave

• Greenie 1

Those stirrups are difficult, if you've got wide feet like me then you cant even get a foot into them, but its all a compromise between making things easy for boaters and maintaining the historic character of the waterway.

The trouble with mooring pins at somewhere like Pewsey is that they are going to weaken the bank even more unless you put them well away from the edge where they get in the way of cyclists and pedestrians. Boats going past too fast are a big issue when the bank is fragile, that's why I get depressed by a contingent on this forum who maintain that there is no need to slow down past moored boats and boaters should just "learn to tie their boats up properly".

..............Dave

................Dave

Yup I agree Dave, too a point, about the stirrups.

It is nice to see what the original set up was, however; was there really a need to put them on every single lock between Reading & Bath?? 5 or 6 along the way would have been fine, preferably on locks that have a bridge close by for those of us who simply can't use the stirrups.

And yes, if pins are put in to close to the edge of the bank, they are bound to work loose and damage it even further. Fortunately Dave received rather good instruction about which pins to purchase and the use of them. "knock on wood" and all that, we've yet to have a pin come loose, but then again it's been a pretty dry summer and we've only had one rather long stop in any one place, and that was for 10 days in Milton Keynes, and that was on Armco / Camping???? (sorry MtB, couldn't remember the rest of the name) so I don't really have first hand experience of mooring in any one location for long stretches of time, as of yet.

but I suppose looking for a good point about the silly stirrups, they have forced me to get a lot more comfortable with the tiller :)

It is nice to see what the original set up was, however; was there really a need to put them on every single lock between Reading & Bath??

You'll probably find that originally there wasn't anything there at all.

Yup I agree Dave, too a point, about the stirrups.

It is nice to see what the original set up was, however; was there really a need to put them on every single lock between Reading & Bath?? 5 or 6 along the way would have been fine, preferably on locks that have a bridge close by for those of us who simply can't use the stirrups.

And yes, if pins are put in to close to the edge of the bank, they are bound to work loose and damage it even further. Fortunately Dave received rather good instruction about which pins to purchase and the use of them. "knock on wood" and all that, we've yet to have a pin come loose, but then again it's been a pretty dry summer and we've only had one rather long stop in any one place, and that was for 10 days in Milton Keynes, and that was on Armco / Camping???? (sorry MtB, couldn't remember the rest of the name) so I don't really have first hand experience of mooring in any one location for long stretches of time, as of yet.

but I suppose looking for a good point about the silly stirrups, they have forced me to get a lot more comfortable with the tiller smile.png

Have you been down to Bradford on Avon yet? if you stop on the 14 day moorings below the lock then the hire boats speeding past WILL pull your pins out. We have some biguns but even they are no match for the stag boats. I had to use my "stranded on the Thames on red boards" mega pin!.

...............Davel

I remember a few years ago stopping at the Newbury services and been told that an "engineer" from the hire base at Aldermaston had been there earlier to intercept all his hire boats as they passed to raise the rev limiter so that they could get up through Newbury. The Kennet was misbehaving at the time.

...............Dave