K&A CM UPDATE

b0atman

Featured Posts

All I can say is that we have spent about 4 weeks coming from Reading to Bristol and have had no real problems in mooring at any of the 48 hour visitor moorings. On our way back today so will see if it is the same on the way back.

I don't know where the stations are but Avoncliff moorings were empty, Bradford on Avon a bit tight but empty by the time we left next day, Dundas and Bathamlton plenty of space.

The moorings at Broad Quay at Bath were quite full with a couple of boats having patrol notices stuck to them but the ones at the top of the locks only half full and those on the other side of the tunnel empty.

Further afield plenty of room at Devises but only one space at Sells Green.

As far as I can see, besides the new trial designating how far boats must move, they have also made all VMs strictly 48 hours making it easier for visitors and hirers to find space. As for mooring outside if these, there seems to be as many boats as the last time I was here in 2007 but I don't worry about them providing I can find a mooring.

The new 48 hour mooring regs are certainly working at Foxton locks.

Last Friday, we arrived at the 48 hour moorings below the locks at 4pm to find them completely empty, by 7pm there was only room left for a couple of boats ....... exactly as it should be.

A year or so ago, the moorings would have been full of boats that had been locked-up and left.

Phill I asked the question because I did not know the answer but the other posters have answered it for me probably because it is a forum where you can ask for advice without criticism or do you think its your job to shoot everyone down ?

Phill I asked the question because I did not know the answer but the other posters have answered it for me probably because it is a forum where you can ask for advice without criticism or do you think its your job to shoot everyone down ?

No, they haven't.

What they have reported is their experience on visitor moorings which has absolutely nothing to do with what you call the "mooring zones trial"

As I say if you come in with that attitude, nobody will tell you anything.

Edited by phill

Maybe the overcrowding and overstaying problems on the Western K&A exist mainly in the mind of some. Usually residing elsewhere...

As you know Henk, i live within a mile of the K&A, I regularly walk along the towpath at Bradford on Avon, and have noted a significant improvement in the availability of visitor mooring space over the last year or so. It is still busy, but the boats which had grown roots are no longer there, and the spaces are now occupied by boats which only seem to stay for a couple of nights.

Whether the situation has also changed on the more remote sections between trowbridge and Bath I do not know, as I no longer walk/cycle those sections.

• Greenie 1

We are in Devises at the moment, its our usual trip down and back at this time of the year, work is now busy for my husband so we are turning this afternoon and moving back towards Aldermaston for our winter mooring. Although we have seen All Cannings , Honey Street, Bedwyn,Hungerford,Kintbury,Newbury and Pewsey visitor moorings with space, there appears to be around many bridges a cluster of 2/3 or more boats, that would not in other years been evident .The more remote bits of towpath where you could get a gang plank out and have a pleasant rural overnight mooring are fast disappearing as these spots are usually already taken. Also the eastern end of the K and A is in places more populated by stationary boats than it used to be. So perhaps if this 'mooring/moving' scheme is a success in the Bath area it could be rolled out to the Eastern end as well. Bunny.

There is anecdotal evidence that some Western end boats have moved or are moving to the long pound and Eastern end to escape the "new stricter rules" at the Western end. This is interesting as the new scheme at the Western end is actually a relaxation of the rules, though more strictly enforced.

Cart have recently produced an interim reports on boats movements, overstay charges collected and warning letters sent at the Western end. I think this was sent to everyone who contributed to the consultation. My own view is that its perhaps a little early to be sending formal warning letters as nobody yet knows what these boaters plans are for the remainder of the year.

I did feel that the Eastern end had rather more semi static boats last winter than in previous years so this might be a general trend rather than a mass exodus from the West.

..............Dave

There is anecdotal evidence that some Western end boats have moved or are moving to the long pound and Eastern end to escape the "new stricter rules" at the Western end. This is interesting as the new scheme at the Western end is actually a relaxation of the rules, though more strictly enforced.

Cart have recently produced an interim reports on boats movements, overstay charges collected and warning letters sent at the Western end. I think this was sent to everyone who contributed to the consultation. My own view is that its perhaps a little early to be sending formal warning letters as nobody yet knows what these boaters plans are for the remainder of the year.

I did feel that the Eastern end had rather more semi static boats last winter than in previous years so this might be a general trend rather than a mass exodus from the West.

..............Dave

That would fit the historic pattern, the sudden congestion between Trowbridge and Bath coincided with the mass clearoput of overstayers on the Oxford some fifteen to twenty years ago, when many of them moved onto the K&A.

The same has happened near our present mooing where there appears to have been a bit of a clampdown, we recognised quite a few of the boats which have recently disapeared from the Braunston/Napton area when we went through Milton Keynes earlier this year.

Edited by David Schweizer

There is an article on the K & A Boating Community website which should throw a cat amongst the pigeons on this subject!

Just seen it on the London Boaters FB page but cant get a link to put on here. Worth a read if only to see an alternative view of whats happening.

There is an article on the K & A Boating Community website which should throw a cat amongst the pigeons on this subject!

Just seen it on the London Boaters FB page but cant get a link to put on here. Worth a read if only to see an alternative view of whats happening.

Linky.

Hardly an impartial source, though!