Help with the Tidal Trent

Foxtrot

Featured Posts

Hey guys. I'm buying a boat down in Nottingham, gonna be bringing it up to the Leeds Liverpool. I'm new to boating and have been warned the Trent can be a bit of a task, and was suggested I ask around if theres any experienced boaters around to give me a hand with it.

If all goes to plan, I should be heading out from Castle Marina on Saturday, should be on the tidal section Sunday through Monday, up to Keadby Lock.

Here's the summary from the canal planner (big block of text warning):

First day of trip
On the River Trent (non-tidal section), at Averham Weir. This is 21 miles, 7¾ furlongs and 6 locks and will take 7 hours 29 minutes.
Second day of trip
On the River Trent (tidal section - Cromwell to Keadby), at Torksey Junction (a safe mooring on these tidal waters). This is 24 miles, 5¾ furlongs and 3 locks and will take 7 hours 4 minutes.
Third day of trip
On the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation (Stainforth and Keadby Canal), at Bonnyhale Road Narrows (a third of the way between Vazon Road Swing Bridge and Thorne Swing Bridge). This is 30 miles, 3¼ furlongs and 1 lock and will take 7 hours 56 minutes.
Fourth day of trip
On the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation (New Junction Canal), at Sykehouse Lock (nearly at Sykehouse Lift Bridge). This is 15 miles, 5½ furlongs and 2 locks and will take 7 hours 30 minutes.
Fifth day of trip
On the Aire and Calder Navigation (Main Line), at Castleford Junction. This is 18 miles, 5 furlongs and 6 locks and will take 7 hours 30 minutes.
Sixth day of trip
On the Leeds and Liverpool Canal (Main Line - Wigan to Leeds), at Kirkstall Forge Staircase Locks Nos 8 to 10 (a third of the way between Kirkstall Wharf Bridge No 222 and Horsforth Road Bridge No 216A). This is 13 miles, 6¼ furlongs and 13 locks and will take 7 hours 29 minutes.
Seventh day of trip
On the Leeds and Liverpool Canal (Main Line - Wigan to Leeds), at Hirst Lock Footbridge. This is 10 miles, ¾ furlongs and 11 locks and will take 7 hours 30 minutes.
Again, I'm new to boating, but I think I'm up for the challenge. Lifts can be arranged if it helps.
Foxy

Hey guys. I'm buying a boat down in Nottingham, gonna be bringing it up to the Leeds Liverpool. I'm new to boating and have been warned the Trent can be a bit of a task, and was suggested I ask around if theres any experienced boaters around to give me a hand with it.

If all goes to plan, I should be heading out from Castle Marina on Saturday, should be on the tidal section Sunday through Monday, up to Keadby Lock.

Here's the summary from the canal planner (big block of text warning):

First day of trip
On the River Trent (non-tidal section), at Averham Weir. This is 21 miles, 7¾ furlongs and 6 locks and will take 7 hours 29 minutes.
Second day of trip
On the River Trent (tidal section - Cromwell to Keadby), at Torksey Junction (a safe mooring on these tidal waters). This is 24 miles, 5¾ furlongs and 3 locks and will take 7 hours 4 minutes.
Third day of trip
On the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation (Stainforth and Keadby Canal), at Bonnyhale Road Narrows (a third of the way between Vazon Road Swing Bridge and Thorne Swing Bridge). This is 30 miles, 3¼ furlongs and 1 lock and will take 7 hours 56 minutes.
Fourth day of trip
On the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Navigation (New Junction Canal), at Sykehouse Lock (nearly at Sykehouse Lift Bridge). This is 15 miles, 5½ furlongs and 2 locks and will take 7 hours 30 minutes.
Fifth day of trip
On the Aire and Calder Navigation (Main Line), at Castleford Junction. This is 18 miles, 5 furlongs and 6 locks and will take 7 hours 30 minutes.
Sixth day of trip
On the Leeds and Liverpool Canal (Main Line - Wigan to Leeds), at Kirkstall Forge Staircase Locks Nos 8 to 10 (a third of the way between Kirkstall Wharf Bridge No 222 and Horsforth Road Bridge No 216A). This is 13 miles, 6¼ furlongs and 13 locks and will take 7 hours 29 minutes.
Seventh day of trip
On the Leeds and Liverpool Canal (Main Line - Wigan to Leeds), at Hirst Lock Footbridge. This is 10 miles, ¾ furlongs and 11 locks and will take 7 hours 30 minutes.
Again, I'm new to boating, but I think I'm up for the challenge. Lifts can be arranged if it helps.
Foxy

Duplicate post reported

Foxy - - if you're going down the Trent, please, please, ensure that your boat is equipped with a suitable anchor & chain & rope, you really really should wear a working lifejacket (not just a buoyancy aid), and either you, or the person(s) travelling with you, should be able to use, and equipped with a VHF radio.

You should also be certain (presumably from the seller of your boat), that there is more than sufficient fuel aboard, that there is no diesel bug in the tank, and that a mechanical inspection of the craft suggests that it is fit to travel on a tidal river.

You must get copies of the Sissons Charts for the Trent - - with currently lowish water levels you run the risk of running in to shallows if you don't know the correct channel to steer.

(You also need to book passage through Keadby lock 24 hours in advance - Cromwell Lockie will help you do that)

If this is your first journey on a narrowboat - please ensure that you are with an experienced boater on the Trent. It is not to be trifled with.

I would suggest that Cromwell to Keadby is going to be too long a run for someone new to boating at this time of year when the days are getting shorter.

Also the river is quite location the minute as well. Extra care and a keen eye on the chart needed.

Below Gainsborough you should carry and monitor vhf radio.

Foxy - - if you're going down the Trent, please, please, ensure that your boat is equipped with a suitable anchor & chain & rope, you really really should wear a working lifejacket (not just a buoyancy aid), and either you, or the person(s) travelling with you, should be able to use, and equipped with a VHF radio.

You should also be certain (presumably from the seller of your boat), that there is more than sufficient fuel aboard, that there is no diesel bug in the tank, and that a mechanical inspection of the craft suggests that it is fit to travel on a tidal river.

You must get copies of the Sissons Charts for the Trent - - with currently lowish water levels you run the risk of running in to shallows if you don't know the correct channel to steer.

(You also need to book passage through Keadby lock 24 hours in advance - Cromwell Lockie will help you do that)

If this is your first journey on a narrowboat - please ensure that you are with an experienced boater on the Trent. It is not to be trifled with.

All of that is very good and sound advice . . . please take it.

I would just add in agreement with the last bit of it . . . Don't even think about going below Torksey unless you're in the company of another boat with a crew who have been down there before or you can get someone with previous experience of that part of the river to go with you on your boat.

Use a wet vacume ceaner and a thin pipe to suck out any crud in the bottom of the fuel tank. Change engine oil and filter, change fuel filter and carry spare fuel filter. When approching Kedby spin the boat to face the current and ease the boat into the lock with the help of the current. Beware the wiers on the Trent.

Remember for the tidal sections that your times for departure will be determined by the tides, but also that your speed (certainly below Torksey) will be greater than predicted by Canalplan.

Does the engine have closed circuit cooling (skin tank) or air cooling? If not, and uses canal water, there is dreadful large-scale duckweed (Chinese, I believe) at the Keadby end of the Stainforth & Keadby which could cause issues with the cooling system (delays to clean filters etc.)

Tim

Foxtrot....If you have (as I believe) very limited boating experience please take very close note of all the above.......also any journey by boat, especially including tidal sections, against a tight dead line is unwise. There is always the temptation to take a short cut or to push on too hard and that is how accidents happen.

If you can't get the help you need and you're new to boating then I'd recommend a re-think. Your trip is planned at 7 days. You could alternatively head up the Trent, onto the Trent and Mersey, then the Bridgewater and onto the Leeds Liverpool. It would be a comfortable 2 week trip, you'd have a fantastic adventure and see some wonderful parts of the network. Best of all, you'd learn the ropes in a relatively safe way. Is there no way you could put aside time for this? You could even consider using your week to get to the top of the Trent and Mersey and mooring your boat there. Then you could bring it the rest of the way, step by step on weekends.

The big concern I have is that this is a new boat for you. There may be all kinds of mechanical gremlins waiting to cause a breakdown. To head out onto the tidal Trent you need to be completely sure that your boat is in good working order. Speaking from experience, it took me about 2 years to unravel all the niggley little problems with my boat when I bought it. For example: the survey and servicing did not highlight a tiny leak in the engine cooling system. The first I knew of it was when my engine overheated and steam came pouring out. You really don't want that to happen in the middle of a wide river.

The big concern I have is that this is a new boat for you. There may be all kinds of mechanical gremlins waiting to cause a breakdown. To head out onto the tidal Trent you need to be completely sure that your boat is in good working order. Speaking from experience, it took me about 2 years to unravel all the niggley little problems with my boat when I bought it. For example: the survey and servicing did not highlight a tiny leak in the engine cooling system. The first I knew of it was when my engine overheated and steam came pouring out. You really don't want that to happen in the middle of a wide river.

See here for a somewhat extreme example of the very sensible point being made here

If you can't get the help you need and you're new to boating then I'd recommend a re-think. Your trip is planned at 7 days. You could alternatively head up the Trent, onto the Trent and Mersey, then the Bridgewater and onto the Leeds Liverpool. It would be a comfortable 2 week trip, you'd have a fantastic adventure and see some wonderful parts of the network. Best of all, you'd learn the ropes in a relatively safe way. Is there no way you could put aside time for this? You could even consider using your week to get to the top of the Trent and Mersey and mooring your boat there. Then you could bring it the rest of the way, step by step on weekends.

That's the best option and avoids the possible problems that others have mentioned. At some later date when you have experience and the boat is well prepared for the journey, you will be able to enjoy navigating the Trent.

The two most important things you need to go out on the tidal Trent:

1. An experienced crew.

2. A boat you know inside-out and can trust.

Everything else (lifejackets, anchor, VHF) comes on top of that.

I'm not sure the OP can tick either of the 2 boxes...

I also notice that he's 24 years old. Now, I don't want to generalize too much but I remember how impetuous I was at that age. I made some rash decisions and got myself into a right old pickle a couple of times. (Once involving a very remote mountain road, a broken down car, no fuel, no warm clothes, no sunroof glass, gathering dark and a 4' snow drift - don't ask!) Foxtrot - just take a moment to think clearly about your wisest course of action.

• Greenie 3

When we bought our boat we did this journey in reverse, Silsden to Loughborough.

I did have have some experience in travelling and handling narrowboats, but was by no means a hardened seasoned boater.

We did the trip in early November, and completed the Keadby to Newark leg in one long day.

However we did plan the journey thoroughly, and made sure we had all the necessary life jackets, anchors etc on board.

So please do not be put off traveling down the Tidal Trent, but please ensure you plan properly and take heed of the sensible advice and information given here, after all you have asked for it, so must have given the idea a fair amount of thought.

Most of all have a safe tip up North, however you end up getting there, and enjoy it.

Chris

When we bought our boat we did this journey in reverse, Silsden to Loughborough.

I did have have some experience in travelling and handling narrowboats, but was by no means a hardened seasoned boater.

We did the trip in early November, and completed the Keadby to Newark leg in one long day.

However we did plan the journey thoroughly, and made sure we had all the necessary life jackets, anchors etc on board.

So please do not be put off traveling down the Tidal Trent, but please ensure you plan properly and take heed of the sensible advice and information given here, after all you have asked for it, so must have given the idea a fair amount of thought.

Most of all have a safe tip up North, however you end up getting there, and enjoy it.

Chris

Keadby to Cromwell is actually a bit easier than the other way round with how the tides work on the Trent.

I would agree with previous advice - especially not doing a tidal river unless you are confident in the boats reliability. It can be scary even in a good boat. You will be shocked at how fast the tide whips you along in places and remember there is nowhere to stop. If things go wrong you'll be relying on an anchor and possibly waiting many hours for the tide to change so you can be rescued - and maybe having to pay for rescue too.

There are underwater shoals and sand bars on many bends so get a chart book too. And take advice and follow it from lock keepers.

You would find your whole trip much easier with crew. The A&C has big locks and the L&L has staircases and swingbridges. Bribe some mates to come.

Personally I'd go the canal route suggested above. Much more safety margin, you'll learn you boat and your skills on the way. Don't forget you can leave the boat 14days and come back to it to carry on. The narrow canal sections are easier for a single hander too. Good luck.