Engine starting problem

HHPinn

Featured Posts

Hi there,

I've been following this forum for a while but never posted before, always really useful advice on so thanks!

Our engine is not turning over when we try to start it but we don't believe it to be anything major as it was running fine a year ago but then we've been away and haven't tried to start it again until now. The electrics are working as the heater kicks in when we start the ignition and the engine tries to turn over when we turn the key fully. It's at this point though that we can't get any further. Hopefully just an issue of re-lubricating the engine properly or perhaps finding a part which has caused the engine to jam?

Perkins 4108 Diesel
So far we've changed the oil and removed the injectors to spray some diesel down into the slots we've removed them from. The next step we believe is to manually turn over the engine using the large bolt at the front which is by the belt which is connected to the starter motor. Again this is something we have attempted. But this is where we are confused. The bolt turns with not too much force but the wheel it is attached to is not turning but I believe it should? Why would the bolt turn but not the wheel? What do you think is the next step?
Hope this all makes sense. Thanks for your help!

I suspect that you have simply undone the bolt, try turning it the other way.

Unless this is a wet exhaust boat and only then under selective circumstances I very much doubt that the engine has seized after just a year, but you can never be sure.

If its been standing for a year then the FIRST suspect must be a discharged starter battery so please tell us what steps you have taken to charge it before starting.

Next to aid diagnosis please look carefully at the warning lamps as you try to operate the starter.. Typically there will be about three. They should come on bright and then dim just a fraction as the starter tries to work. If they dim a lot or if they go out then that could indicate a flat battery, dirty/loose connections in the starter circuit, a seized engine, or a short circuit within the starter. Turning it over with the nut will tell you something about a seizure while cleaning and tightening the battery terminals never does any harm - both the posts and claps, rub to bright metal and then cover the post with Vaseline. If you have not recharged the start battery please do that as well.

What tells you the "heater kicks in"? If its a warning lamp it just means electricity has been sent to the glow plug. This engine uses a flame plug that also requires a diesel supply. However a faulty flame plug will not prevent it spinning over.

PS - very important - if you have been pouring any liquid down the injector holes it is vital the injectors are out when you try to turn the engine over by any means. If not and there is liquid trapped above the piston you could end up bending internal engine parts.

Edited by Tony Brooks

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, an undone bolt sounds hopefully simple.

We did investigate the battery, we decided to replace the original battery with a new one, which then appeared to break after first use. We then tried again with a friends and the lights turned on.

Could this battery issue point to any problems? We were also having issues with our charger at the time which we assumed to be the cause.

The injectors are out and have been since we've been trying to start it. We believe the heat is coming on because there is a small amount of white smoke when we turn the key.

We will try again with the bolt back on and take notice of lights and report back!

Many thanks.

We are going around in circles because we are not getting detailed enough explanations of what is happening and do not seem to be getting the results of suggested tests fed back. This needs a logical diagnostic progression.

Please give a rough idea about where on the K&A you are. If you are at the eastern end I will come and have a look FOC but will not travel much further west than Newbury.

If you do not want to make the rough location public the you can PM me once you have made 5 posts.

We then tried again with a friends and the lights turned on.

A flat battery will very likely have enough power to light the lights, but not be able to even attempt to turn the engine over.

My first port of call would be to check the battery is fully charged - take it home and charge it if you don't have mains at the boat. After that check the connections as Tony says.

A flat battery will very likely have enough power to light the lights, but not be able to even attempt to turn the engine over.

My first port of call would be to check the battery is fully charged - take it home and charge it if you don't have mains at the boat. After that check the connections as Tony says.

And in nthat case the lights will go out or dim substantially as you try to start it. Hence my unanswered question from very early on in the thread.