Is long term renting possible?

Cfposi

Featured Posts

I have been offered a job in Bristol (good news) but my wife and home are in London (bad news). The plan is for me to move to Bristol and commute back to London on the weekends.

This leaves me with the unenviable task of finding somewhere relatively inexpensive, yet relatively central, to live. I love narrowboats and have always wanted to try living on one.

What do you reckon my chances are of finding a narrowboat to live on with a decent mooring and that I can rent. I would consider buying, but the job is likely for only 1 year and then I'd be moving back to London.

Does anyone know a good place to look? There dosn't seem to be much online which is worrying.

I'd MUCH rather live on a narrowboat than going back to sharing a house with a stranger!

Thanks!

It's a long shot, to be honest.

There are companies that rent out narrowboats, long term and legally...

But they are few and far between. ETRR (Escape The Rat Race) is the one that springs to mind - they are not cheap - but are a good operation by reputation (maybe worth speaking to them )

I would caution against using individuals who may hire out boats "without disclosing them as proper businesses/on the fly" - for the implications regarding boat safety & insurers invalidating policies can be unpleasant.

I know of folks that do hire such boats though.

Also be aware that you will need to find a proper mooring for a year - - and that may well set you back an extra £3/4000 for a year

The other route you may wish to consider is approaching a pukka hireboat (aka holiday co.) and asking if they will rent one out for a year..again, it may not be cheap - but at least it will have proper maintenance, and you know that it'll be in servicable condition from the outset. And they may well provide you with mooring options too.

Here is one - but by the time you have paid the hire charge and £3-4,000 for a mooring (if you can find one) you'd be probably better off financially to rent a flat.

http://etrr.co.uk/

Edit - G&F has quicker fingers, but at least we have a consistent message

Edited by Alan de Enfield