Planning to moor Astley then Parbold - what does the panel think?

Sas

Featured Posts

Morning All!

Day 5 of our return cruise with first boat ( I'll post properly when I pause for breath!!)

We are currently in Lymm (fab) and trying to figure out how to get through Wigan as quickly and safely as poss.

Our Ribble Link is booked for Thursday but we want to be there by Wednesday. Ideally we'd like a day where we could simply relax in between so......

we were wondering if Astley would be OK to moor tonight, with Parbold in mind for tomorrow? A decent pub nearby would be a bonus!

Any thoughts please?

Cheers

Sas :-)

Thanks John, but stopping at all in Wigan fills me with dread, especially at the weekend!!! Bored yoof springs to mind! Do you have reservations about Astley and Parbold, if so what are they please?

Edited by Sas

Thanks John, but stopping at all in Wigan fills me with dread, especially at the weekend!!! Bored yoof springs to mind! Do you have reservations about Astley and Parbold, if so what are they please?

No Parbold fine I am here now. I was just thinking the sooner you get down the locks on Rufford Arm the better. Having done the Ribble twice it is a long day so a few easy days before is highly recommended

No Parbold fine I am here now. I was just thinking the sooner you get down the locks on Rufford Arm the better. Having done the Ribble twice it is a long day so a few easy days before is highly recommended[/quotequote

Thanks for the tip re the Link John. We'll see how we go today but thanks for the speedy response!

Cheers

Astley has two pubs , the Boathouse by the canal and the Ross Arms just up the road, next to the chippy. Last time we were there both did food, but the beer in the Ross was better. We did Astley to Parbold in a day, just the two of us with a small baby. The Windmill is good there.

The Ship Inn at the junction with the Rufford Branch used to be good as well, I am sure if anything has changed in recent times somebody will let you know.

At Tarleton, the bowling club in the village is the place to drink, somebody will always sign visitors in.

Have a good trip, hope the crossing is calm, the Lanky is worth the trek

Many thanks MHS Cat and Cap'n!

Dover lock sound good as a friend mentioned it as a possible this morning.

As for the Lanky......EEK!

Just changed our Link crossing at the request of CRT. Major problems with water mean they are trying to consolidate crossings, some/ all of which were cancelled at the weekend.

Were there also problems with water at Wigan too?

Cheers all

Sas - I live in Wigan and advise boaters to overnight at Dover Lock and then start early in the morning and do not stop until you reach Crooke village. (The only exception to this is a stop outside the CaRT offices near Wigan dry dock).

If you register with the CaRT stoppages site for the Leeds and Liverpool canal you will be notified of any water shortage problems.

Steve

We moored outside the pub at Dover Lock and it was fine. We have also moored outside the CRT office in Wigan, you are behind a CRT locked fence on the non-towpath side, that was also fine. We did Dover lock to just after Dean lock, its rural about 1/4 - 1/2 mile after the lock just before Fishers Swing Bridge. Another vote for the Windmill in Parbold as well, not the cheapest, but food and beer good!

we stopped at Wigan on the tow path opposite C&RT office, beginning of August also end of August and last three days there, no problems at all.
The pound between locks 88 &87 was drained overnight on Wednesday. sorry Tuesday night

ETA wrong day

Edited by Bazza954

If you are visiting Astley the Colliery Museum is well worth a visit, the steam engine looks great though we missed out on the steaming. Astley is a small place with a decent pub and easy "out in the wilds" mooring.

On our summer cruise to Liverpool we moored on the towpath side in Wigan, and at Parbold and Astley. All were fine with friendly locals. If you like steam engines visit Trenchard Mill in Wigan on Sunday PM when they run the engine. Trenchard Mill is now a block of flats on the canalside, but there is a museum housing the steam engine round the back.