Pianos On Boats (why not?)

FORTUNATA

Featured Posts

This morning I was surprised to find how simple Candle In The Wind is. Not only that but I have a suspicion Elton used an old trick of using the same chord basis for two songs because Rocket Man seems pretty close to Candle In The Wind. For example, John Lennon did this with the song "Yes, It Is" which is really "This Boy".

I've never really been an Elton John fan but will admit he is very very talented. I recall him back in the seventies when he was really pretty big and doing Benny And The Jets. He's one of those piano-based songwriters, maybe a bit similar to Barry Manilow.

By the way, recently there has been a cultural program to encourage people to take up piano so they had throw-a-way pianos on the street. As a crowd gathered, I took a seat and prepared to bash out a tune or two. However, it was a disaster. I wasn't used to playing a real piano and all the people were making me nervous. I prefer playing quietly on my boat on an electronic keyboard with lots of reverb so I sound better.

Talking of throw-away pianos, a couple of years ago, I was asked to collect a piano that someone had bought for a fiver.

The directions took me to a large warehouse (10,000+ sq ft) in Corby full of old, unloved school pianos, a sad sight.

My youngest lad used to regularly play the piano at St.Pancras station .... a brilliant concept, and a noble end for an old instrument.

ps. Don't misunderstand my earlier posts, there is nothing wrong with 5 chord songs, and I have a high regard for Paul McCartney.

Edited by Kwacker

I Toyed with the idea of having a piano on board but the negatives out weighed the positives,

Getting it on board would be almost impossible,

the space it takes up.

volume.

heat and humidity fluctuations affecting it.

it would interfere with the ballast.

It would need to be secured for lake crossing.

I think I read once that Lennon/McCartney only started keyboards so as to find some common ground when working with George Martin who didn't do guitars.

Lennon and Macca actually played piano in a cellar and jammed in the very early days. I wish I'd known earlier that this is really the way to go. Piano lessons are cool but for pop musicians you can pick up pop piano the way McCartney did. I don't think either of them ever had lessons - they just played music.

Last night I came across a modern band I actually liked. They are called Pugwash. I was listening to their cover of Dr Robert and it was pretty good. I think this band is from Ireland.

I Toyed with the idea of having a piano on board but the negatives out weighed the positives,

Getting it on board would be almost impossible,

the space it takes up.

volume.

heat and humidity fluctuations affecting it.

it would interfere with the ballast.

It would need to be secured for lake crossing.

Buy a synth and you can set it to piano. Mine has grand, street, string, honky tonk and so on. You can mix as well. I like to mix in warm pad with my piano so it sounds softer and I add reverb to the max.

The way to learn is just play. Get used to doing bass notes with the left hand. Hit chords with the right. You can then use tempos, and timing, go fast or slow or even use arpeggios. Whereas to learn electronics may take months, you can sound good on an instrument after just weeks.

Bones didn't actually put it in, but did a lot of supervising laugh.png

We have our own resident Piano man at Thrupp who does all things piano wise. PM 'Pinkio' if you need any advice

yep - and it came out of the Piano Man at Thrupps' window in to my front doors. It was quite nerve wracking but I am quite sure my not helping made it go very smoothly....

Wow it sounds brilliant having a piano aboard. When we sell the house in about 4 years which is the plan and then buy our first narrowboat I hope the missus realizes that my guitars will also be coming aboard. I can't think of anything better than to pratice daily in peace without worrying about the neighbours infact I guess the ducks will be pretty well entertained.

Piano caught me by surprise somehow. 2 years ago I was gifted a basic synth at around XMas time. At first I was a bit reluctant as I feared I could get hooked on it and then I'd have less time to do DIY work and so on. Well, I did get hooked. Once I learned how to do very basic multi-channel recordings, I found I was able to create sounds on an experimental basis.

Piano came much later. At first I'd just play a sequence, record and then play over with a melody line. Then, in time, I decided to play using both hands which gave a more natural and less synthetic sound.

For any beginners, I recommend a good song to start off on is Gary Jules Mad World. He did a piano version of it and it's fairly easy to pick up. You will find a tutorial on YouTube and it's fairly slow. Another one I really got a buzz from working out was that old eighties hit, "What's In A Kiss?" by Gilbert O Sullivan. That was the first time I attempted to sing and record myself.

For the record I can state I'm pretty addicted to it now. I will play on my boat for hours on end. I've written scores of songs although very few are actually finished. When you play on your boat in total silence, it's kind of exciting. You never know what you may discover. Sometimes great songs are created by accident when you hit an unintended chord and think "Wow!"

However, I don't just limit myself to piano. With a synth you can make it sound like a guitar or even do sitar. You can add beats and bass runs.

By the way, I should add that one real shaky point for me has been singing. I got real hung up on it. I found on other websites a lot of people distrust the sound of their own voice. I have this habit of recording myself sing to piano and ask someone I know how does it sound. If they tell me it sounds O.K. I feel suspicious they're being kind so as not to hurt feelings. And if they say, "terrible!" it hurts to the quick but I go away and try to improve.

Last night I was stunned to read in an interview of Jon Lennon in PlayBoy mag he stated that George Harrison in the beginning was a poor singer. His songs were also rejected often as not good enough to develop. That did encourage me as eventually George became a good singer and he also wrote Something and Here Comes The Sun - 2 fantastic tracks. So, keep on striving ahead is the message.

I think I read once that Lennon/McCartney only started keyboards so as to find some common ground when working with George Martin who didn't do guitars.

The mcCartneys had a family always had a piano in their house and Paul started young,Lennon learned later.

The mcCartneys had a family always had a piano in their house and Paul started young,Lennon learned later.

The really hard part is singing. I always assumed I couldn't sing. Period. End of story. Then I found a YouTube tutorial where a guy was saying we can all sing. Anyone who has a voice and can talk, can sing. So, then I asked myself, well how come I sound so awful? According to the video, that is addressed through vocal exercise, practice and technique.

At this point I started to play and sing and then play myself back. After a few months of practice and investigation, I found that really singing has everything to do with finding your own voice. To try and copy other singers can lead to disaster. I mean, can you imagine Michael Jackson singing Jailhouse Rock and Elvis trying to do Thriller?

Lately, sometimes I think I sound O.K.. and some times bad or even really bad. The key, type of song and even octave plays a huge part. I don't think I have that good a voice but I also think you can find ways to avoid the weaknesses and build vocals around your stronger points.

There are auto-tune systems but I figure this is a cop-out and I'd rather just work at it.

the problem is when the ear and the voice cannot link in any way. some people are just tone deaf and can never be taught to sing in tune.I know a few people that are like this and they just can not hear it them selves.Some actually think they are good singers.

the problem is when the ear and the voice cannot link in any way. some people are just tone deaf and can never be taught to sing in tune.I know a few people that are like this and they just can not hear it them selves.Some actually think they are good singers.

Maybe this happens because they don't record themselves singing. When you record yourself, you tend to be more pessimistic about your singing as it's kind of unpleasant to hear your own voice. There are times I've played myself back and thought it doesn't really sound too bad at all. Other times I sound dreadful. I now figured out I sound bad when my singing is too low. To sound reasonably O.K. I need to be up at a higher octave and key also helps. The rest of it is practice and also audio amplification. I suppose the goal is to sound reasonably O.K. so at least people don't laugh or throw banana skins.

''To try and copy other singers can lead to disaster. I mean, can you imagine Michael Jackson singing Jailhouse Rock and Elvis trying to do Thriller?''

actually,yes i can because both of these artists had a very broad range vocally and musically.i think that they may have interpreted/approached the songs in a more personal style but Elvis could have sang anything and Jackson could have sang anything and all the training/lessons/opinion in the world can not change that fact.Do not get bogged down in genres/fashions or styles when it comes to music because lt is boring and pointless.