Strange governor behaviour

Timleech

Featured Posts

Its between the drain back pipe tapping (the one vertically above the filter bowl) and the lift pump inlet tapping to the filter body,

Without any fitting in the return pipe tapping the hole should be visible, alternately disconnect the return to tank pipe and operate the lift pump, fuel should leak out of the return pipe tapping.

Steve

Thanks. I continue to learn.

• 2 months later...

Just an update on this. I've stripped the governor and cambox right down, there was nothing significant wrong. There was a very slight roughness in the movement of the sliding sleeve, I can't believe it was enough to cause the symptoms but I polished the shaft with Scotchbrite in the lathe and the motion is now silky smooth.

The only other thing evident was signs of fretting between the bearing housings in the two end plates and (nearly new) ball bearings at the bottom. The bearings had not been spinning in the housings, which have oil drains immediately below the bearings which must weaken the housings and they had been distorted, by about 2 thou, by 75 years or so of 'pounding' from the fuel pump operation. The cambox engine number is earlier than the crankcase number, which itself is quite early. I didn't want to bore and sleeve the housings as this could have weakened them, so decided the pragmatic approach was to fit the bearings in place with high strength anaerobic retainer.

It'll be some time before I can test it again, because the speed and power at the rpm where the problem appeared are inappropriate for restricted waterways.

Tim