how to tell what antifreeze I have

Detling

Featured Posts

Hi,

When I bought my boat the engine was serviced and the antifreeze checked, this was almost 2 years ago so I think I may need to top it up, check the strength etc. The coolant is a very pale yellow in colour and I obviously can't top up with the blue stuff used in the central heating. How can I find out what to top up with as trying to drain the system including the skin tank will be difficult to say the least as well as expensive, and I have heard that I cannot mix types but don't know more than that. The engine is a 2007 Isuzu 43 if that helps I don't know if it has aluminum in it or is all steel.

With some antifreeze's they are supposed to be replaced every 2 years anyway (the blue stuff).

When I bought my boat it had 3 containers of antifreeze, one blue, one red & one clear ! I decided to bite the bullet and drain the system & put the blue stuff in.

Just replaced it again this year and I think it needed doing !

OP, after two years, I wouldn't risk messing about and running the risk of using the wrong solution, (the stuff in there may possibly be much older than two years old anyway (?)

Replace it.

Work on a 50% Anti-freeze/water mix. Buy sufficient for your engine and skin tank system.

If you drain it now, measure how much you get out. Then flush it (because you're not sure what type is in there at the moment)

: - Fill it with plain water - run the engine for a little while. Let it cool, drain it again and then fill with your preferred mix.

(Blue will need replacing every two years, Pink will require replacing every five years.

Pink is dearer initially - but works out cheaper over the period.

Hi,

When I bought my boat the engine was serviced and the antifreeze checked, this was almost 2 years ago so I think I may need to top it up, check the strength etc. The coolant is a very pale yellow in colour and I obviously can't top up with the blue stuff used in the central heating. How can I find out what to top up with as trying to drain the system including the skin tank will be difficult to say the least as well as expensive, and I have heard that I cannot mix types but don't know more than that. The engine is a 2007 Isuzu 43 if that helps I don't know if it has aluminum in it or is all steel.

Antifreeze - whether blue or pink - has two components: a corrosion inhibitor and a chemical to prevent the water from freezing. It is the first component that degrades over time, loosing its ability to prevent the metal of the engine from breaking down.

Morris's Oils, amongst their many products, sell Ankorsol - which is effectively the corrosion inhibitor component - and can simply be added to the coolant to ensure that corrosion is held at bay. Its quick and easy to do and avoids the difficulties associated with draining, flushing and refilling the system - something that is not always straightforward with a boat's skin tank type system.

And yes, it's compatible with all types of antifreeze. Check out their website for details www.morrislubricants.co.uk. It's Part No is ANK 001 and I speak from experience.

Hi,

When I bought my boat the engine was serviced and the antifreeze checked, this was almost 2 years ago so I think I may need to top it up, check the strength etc. The coolant is a very pale yellow in colour and I obviously can't top up with the blue stuff used in the central heating. How can I find out what to top up with as trying to drain the system including the skin tank will be difficult to say the least as well as expensive , and I have heard that I cannot mix types but don't know more than that. The engine is a 2007 Isuzu 43 if that helps I don't know if it has aluminum in it or is all steel.

Not as expensive as a cracked engine block.

Edited by Ray T

Antifreeze - whether blue or pink - has two components: a corrosion inhibitor and a chemical to prevent the water from freezing. It is the first component that degrades over time, loosing its ability to prevent the metal of the engine from breaking down.

Morris's Oils, amongst their many products, sell Ankorsol - which is effectively the corrosion inhibitor component - and can simply be added to the coolant to ensure that corrosion is held at bay. Its quick and easy to do and avoids the difficulties associated with draining, flushing and refilling the system - something that is not always straightforward with a boat's skin tank type system.

And yes, it's compatible with all types of antifreeze. Check out their website for details www.morrislubricants.co.uk. It's Part No is ANK 001 and I speak from experience.

Apart from Morris Lubricants themselves do you know of anyone else that stocks it?

Ankorsol mentioned here. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=12207

Maybe Graham can come back with some more info, his engine was still running (well) at Crick this year. biggrin.png

Thanks. It appears that he bought it directly from Morris Oils. I found it on their web site, although It now only seems to be available in single one litre bottles, and quite expensive.

Hi.

Thanks for that. I've been in touch with Morris and I think I'll give Ankorsol a go.

Rob....

Thanks. It appears that he bought it directly from Morris Oils. I found it on their web site, although It now only seems to be available in single one litre bottles, and quite expensive.

In deciding whether or not it's expensive it's worth a) taking account of the time and faff of replacing the coolant in a skin tank boat cooling system and B) considering the dilution rate of Ankorsol which is 2% (49:1) for a new system and 3% for a dirty old one (I'm reading off the instructions on the back of the container!)

In old money: mixing at a 2% solution would mean that 1 litre doses just about 11 gallons of coolant.

In deciding whether or not it's expensive it's worth a) taking account of the time and faff of replacing the coolant in a skin tank boat cooling system and cool.png considering the dilution rate of Ankorsol which is 2% (49:1) for a new system and 3% for a dirty old one (I'm reading off the instructions on the back of the container!)

In old money: mixing at a 2% solution would mean that 1 litre doses just about 11 gallons of coolant.

Yes a fair point. However, there is a lot of water in the system in our boat as the water circulating through the radiatiors is the same as that circulating through the engine/skin tank. Nevertheless it would be easier than complete replacement, especially as I have to remove the engine bottom hose to completely drain the engine.

Edited to add :- I have just found the calculations in my records and it would appear that the total system contains a total of 48 pints, Not sure how i reached that figure fifteen years ago but if correct, it will use about a pint, or roughly half a litre. Probably cheaper than replacing all the existing coolant (except that I already have loads of the concentrate in stock!)

Edited by David Schweizer

Yes a fair point. However, there is a lot of water in the system in our boat as the water circulating through the radiatiors is the same as that circulating through the engine/skin tank. Nevertheless it would be easier than complete replacement, especially as I have to remove the engine bottom hose to completely drain the engine.

Edited to add :- I have just found the calculations in my records and it would appear that the total system contains a total of 48 pints, Not sure how i reached that figure fifteen years ago but if correct, it will use about a pint, or roughly half a litre. Probably cheaper than replacing all the existing coolant (except that I already have loads of the concentrate in stock!)

My calculations for my engine - with a similar set up as yours - came to about 56 pints so, at a 3% mixing rate, bunging the whole litre in seemed to be about right!

Hi,

Looking at previous topics it appears they recommend the standard 2 year stuff which is usually blue/green (or sometimes yellow).

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=20010#entry329467

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=33349#entry748016

It probably helps if the antifreeze is made up with distilled water. It's not impossible the yellow stuff you have is in fact the incompatible 5 year stuff, but it's fairly unlikely.

ETA: Looks like this firm still supplies Isuzu based engines, so might have a better answer.

http://www.enginesplus.co.uk/marine.htm

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=69947

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Looking at previous topics it appears they recommend the standard 2 year stuff which is usually blue/green (or sometimes yellow).

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=20010#entry329467

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=33349#entry748016

It probably helps if the antifreeze is made up with distilled water. It's not impossible the yellow stuff you have is in fact the incompatible 5 year stuff, but it's fairly unlikely.

ETA: Looks like this firm still supplies Isuzu based engines, so might have a better answer.

http://www.enginesplus.co.uk/marine.htm

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=69947

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

From what I have read on Antifreeze containers, the Blue stuff is ok for old engines and the pink stuff is for engines manufacteured after the mid 1990's

Edited by David Schweizer

From what I have read on Antifreeze containers, the Blue stuff is ok for old engines and the pink stuff is for engines manufacteured after the mid 1990's

Sounds a bit arbritrary, I'd go by what the engine manufacturer recommends where possible.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Sounds a bit arbritrary, I'd go by what the engine manufacturer recommends where possible.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I agree it does sound a bit arbitrary but the antifreeze producers all state that red is unsuitable for Classic or Vintage engines, Some of them have presumably decided to put a date on that advice, which may be on the cautious side, but I think our 1981 engine (based upon a much earlier design) probably falls within the Classic catagory, so I only use blue.