What's it really like to liveaboard?

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

Nope, fully aware that it is probably around the same. Mind you renting around here is absurdly expensive so maybe more accurate to say as expensive as my mortgage but maybe cheaper than renting.

Maybe I should consider renting my flat out instead of selling?

If you can that is an excellent plan

Richard

My next research task is electrics/gas/generally running the boat. I AM A COMPLETE NOVICE - to the point where I don't even understand how electricity works (seriously.) I don't understand battery sizes, I understand If we're not hooked up to a power supply we will need to run the engine to charge our batteries, but I don't know what this means in terms of cooking,heating, water, etc.

What i DO know is i like the idea of solar panels.

Is there a guide for dummies I can get hold of?

I've come to realize since moving onto our boat that someone needs to have a pretty good grasp of electrics and how and what generates electrics and how much power different items consume.

Like you, I have NO idea of how it all works, and still don't, even though we've lived on-board now for 8 months.

Thankfully I have a hubby that has been able to get his head around the basics. I simply let him know that I want to do a load of laundry, the hovering or make a loaf of bread and he lets me know when the boat is ready for me to proceed. Works rather well, and I haven't had to use up valuable brain cells learning about something I really have no interest or desire to learn about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy to learn and help with plumbing, engine maintenance, and pretty much anything else to do with the boat......just not electrics; as soon as hubby starts trying to explain it to me (which happens WAY to often), it's like he's speaking a foreign language, all I hear is blah blah blah

I've come to realize since moving onto our boat that someone needs to have a pretty good grasp of electrics and how and what generates electrics and how much power different items consume.

Like you, I have NO idea of how it all works, and still don't, even though we've lived on-board now for 8 months.

Thankfully I have a hubby that has been able to get his head around the basics. I simply let him know that I want to do a load of laundry, the hovering or make a loaf of bread and he lets me know when the boat is ready for me to proceed. Works rather well, and I haven't had to use up valuable brain cells learning about something I really have no interest or desire to learn about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy to learn and help with plumbing, engine maintenance, and pretty much anything else to do with the boat......just not electrics; as soon as hubby starts trying to explain it to me (which happens WAY to often), it's like he's speaking a foreign language, all I hear is blah blah blah

I'm a slight control freak and I think I'd feel happier knowing, but chances are I will take a back seat and let hubs learn. He's got more of the brain for it than me.

Just back from seeing my mum. The cat and I have been given permission to move back in. Aiming for the new year, so boat hunt will start from Jan/Feb!

I'm a slight control freak and I think I'd feel happier knowing, but chances are I will take a back seat and let hubs learn. He's got more of the brain for it than me.

Just back from seeing my mum. The cat and I have been given permission to move back in. Aiming for the new year, so boat hunt will start from Jan/Feb!

I don't know if this has been asked before and you've answered it, but what area are you in at the moment?

My next research task is electrics/gas/generally running the boat. I AM A COMPLETE NOVICE - to the point where I don't even understand how electricity works (seriously.) I don't understand battery sizes, I understand If we're not hooked up to a power supply we will need to run the engine to charge our batteries, but I don't know what this means in terms of cooking,heating, water, etc.

What i DO know is i like the idea of solar panels.

Is there a guide for dummies I can get hold of?

You may like to bury your (reading) head in this rather informative tome (Victron - Energy Unlimited) - 'tis all about batteries!

On the topic of books/kindles etc I just got an email from amazon about

'Kindle Unlimited' which is a £7.99 a month subscription that gives you 'unlimited reading and unlimited listening'

Not investigated it fully, but seeing as I spend over £10 a month on books it could be well worth signing up to.

thanks guys - I have just been looking into hire around. It's a shame you can't only do 1 night on a boat as due to holiday restrictions and hubs working on Sundays we don't have full weekends to spend away. But I think I have found something that could work.

I have suggested a book because that's how I learn and absorb information better than doing stuff hands on at first. But I will endeavour to get out on the river this weekend with any luck and see if I can introduce myself to folk and maybe get a little tour/idea of the workings of a boat. - Will be in Whitchurch in Hampshire this weekend, not sure if there will be any boats near there?

You can do One day on a boat, and learn at the same time. Try T.R.Boat Handling or Cheshire Cat Training.