What's it really like to liveaboard?

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

I know this will vary for absolutely everyone, but just so I can gain a little insight ( And I'm generally quite a nosey person..) What's day to day life like on a boat?

Do you have pets?

How many of you live on your boat ?

Is there anything you miss about 'bricks and mortar'

Did you take any courses before embarking on this lifestyle

If you could impart only one piece of information to someone about to buy their first boat what would it be - (aside from get a survey, test run living on a boat by going on a holiday on one for a few weeks)

Will there be space for me to keep my beloved Kenwood Chef or will i need to learn to knead bread by hand and use my arm muscles to mix my cake batters?

There was a time when I owned both a house with pets, Kenwood Chef, microwave oven, large freezer etc. etc. Given the choice between either a mean flat or a boat I chose the boat.

It is possible to power all the gadgets on a boat but I now lead a simple life. I no longer make my own bread, pizza dough or pasta; an expensive 'ready meal' heated in the gas oven for 20 or 30 minutes is my daily unsatisfying fare. I have no freezer to store batch cooked, delicious meals.

If you love the boating life you will set aside the disadvantages and find the energy to kneed dough and mix cakes even after a tiring day at work. Bread or cake made by hand is much better than any made in those miniature versions of a commercial bakery.

Living economically on a boat is similar to living in a country cottage a century ago - work for 16 hours a day. Collect and cut wood for the fire, maybe a rabbit or pheasant for the pot, cook a stew, knead some dough, brew some beer and make eldeberry wine. In your spare time make a rag rug, lace doilies or paint 'canalware' by candlelight (LEDs today). Maybe barter your crafts, cakes etc. for fresh produce or an engine service.

That is the (un)real dream. No-one cares if you stink but I cannot get going in the morning without a hot shower so 15s of luke warm water, a soap-down and 2 minutes of stingingly hot water have to suffice.

If you must go out to work every weekday you will need a landline, a very large battery bank or, maybe, only use candles, oil lamps and a wind-up radio in the evening.

Many, even single parents, raise small children, take them to school, keep pets and go to work every day whilst complying with the CC rules. No doubt they have more energy and motivation and need less sleep than I.

For me life on a boat as in a country cottage is living outside with the boat/cottage a warm, dry refuge.

Enjoy, Alan

It depends on the kind of person you are and how you go about things. For me way back in 1999 having spent a weekend smashed out of my skull on a mates 40ft boat I thought to myself. "I could live on one of those". I put my house on the market on the Saturday, had a look at a few boats on the Sunday in various mariners decided what I could spend. I'd accepted an offer on the house by the Wednesday and a week later a boat was advertised (by an estate agent) in the local paper. Went and had a look, spoke to the chap who ran the moorings who agreed we could live there and did a deal with the chap selling it. From initial idea to living aboard in 5 weeks. It would have been sooner but selling houses is a boring protracted process involving solicitors.

Everyone and I mean everyone said I was mental, I hadn't looked into it properly, I didn't know anything about boats, blah blah blah. The way I saw it was I'd sold a house and bought a boat and the worst thing that could happen was I decided I didn't like it. That being the case I'd flog the boat and buy another house.

15 years later I'm sat on that boat now. It's 12ft longer and a it's changed colour a couple of times, the inside has been completely ripped out and refitted but I'm still here and hopefully will be in another 15.

Point of the tale? If you want to do something, just bloody do it. Life's far too short for cocking about.

what he said!!!

I have told myself no buying more books until I have read what I have already. Those already read will go back to the charity shops and then I will utilise my kindle.

Aside from my various copies of Alice in Wonderland. They are staying.

Quite right too. Any home devoid of books must be a soulless place.

In my case, if I ever lived aboard I'd keep my library of music reference books, but the principle is the same.

But you are on a wide boat. Perhaps Ms McGrath is thinking of a narrow boat. Space can be a serious issue.

But you will give up almost everything and not count the cost if you really want to live on a boat. Kneading bread by hand is much better, anyway.

N

She is indeed thinking of a narrow boat - and with a husband and cat in tow space will be limited!

Quite right too. Any home devoid of books must be a soulless place.

In my case, if I ever lived aboard I'd keep my library of music reference books, but the principle is the same.

we also have about 500 dvds that will probably need new homes too!

I'm only guessing but I reckon most of us do find space for some precious books but I don't think it possible to keep all your books, we certainly couldn't find room for our library when we moved aboard but with the advent of the Kindle we can both have as many books as we like. The real bonus of the Kindle is that you can get so many free books. I am just finishing the last book of Jules Verne complete works, I doubt that I would have ever got round to buying his entire lifes work but hey these were free.

Love my Kindle

Phil

She is indeed thinking of a narrow boat - and with a husband and cat in tow space will be limited!

But if they are in tow, they will not take up any space on the boat. What a good space-saving wheeze!

But if they are in tow, they will not take up any space on the boat. What a good space-saving wheeze!

haha would certainly be more peaceful!

I'm only guessing but I reckon most of us do find space for some precious books but I don't think it possible to keep all your books, we certainly couldn't find room for our library when we moved aboard but with the advent of the Kindle we can both have as many books as we like. The real bonus of the Kindle is that you can get so many free books. I am just finishing the last book of Jules Verne complete works, I doubt that I would have ever got round to buying his entire lifes work but hey these were free.

Love my Kindle

Phil

I got a kindle when they first came out and the free books around weren't all the great - having researched this seems to have improved greatly (helps I am a fan of 'the classics'), so will be firing up the kindle once all my paperbacks are read!

I got a kindle when they first came out and the free books around weren't all the great - having researched this seems to have improved greatly (helps I am a fan of 'the classics'), so will be firing up the kindle once all my paperbacks are read!

Get into the habit now. Go through your paperbacks, and if the same titles are available from Gutenberg or one of the other free books sites, download them and give the paperback books to the charity of your choice. Given the search facilities on Gutenberg, it shouldn't take more than a couple of evenings.

Get into the habit now. Go through your paperbacks, and if the same titles are available from Gutenberg or one of the other free books sites, download them and give the paperback books to the charity of your choice. Given the search facilities on Gutenberg, it shouldn't take more than a couple of evenings.

Yes - the great book cull of '14 will be starting on Sunday!

It depends on the kind of person you are and how you go about things. For me way back in 1999 having spent a weekend smashed out of my skull on a mates 40ft boat I thought to myself. "I could live on one of those". I put my house on the market on the Saturday, had a look at a few boats on the Sunday in various mariners decided what I could spend. I'd accepted an offer on the house by the Wednesday and a week later a boat was advertised (by an estate agent) in the local paper. Went and had a look, spoke to the chap who ran the moorings who agreed we could live there and did a deal with the chap selling it. From initial idea to living aboard in 5 weeks. It would have been sooner but selling houses is a boring protracted process involving solicitors.

Everyone and I mean everyone said I was mental, I hadn't looked into it properly, I didn't know anything about boats, blah blah blah. The way I saw it was I'd sold a house and bought a boat and the worst thing that could happen was I decided I didn't like it. That being the case I'd flog the boat and buy another house.

15 years later I'm sat on that boat now. It's 12ft longer and a it's changed colour a couple of times, the inside has been completely ripped out and refitted but I'm still here and hopefully will be in another 15.

Point of the tale? If you want to do something, just bloody do it. Life's far too short for cocking about.

You sound like my type of guy ! The old ' f**k it ' approach is a good one and has done well a few times, its never a bad thing to jump into the deep end (no pun lol) its better to look back and say ' i cant believe i did that ' than to look bad and think ' i wish i did that '

smile.png

Edited by Theo
To sort out quote from new post

Just to really upset the apple cart....

I live aboard with 2 huge dogs and a cat on a 50 foot narrowboat. I work and have cc'ed and taken moorings. I currently have a mooring without hook up.

I have a fridge, freezer, washing machine electric kettle,electric toaster, ghd hair straighteners, bread maker, ice cream maker, slow cooker and a microwave. ALL of which I run from the boat, it is doable, you just need to plan your life carefully.

I shower every day (huge water tank) . I have made my boat work for me, although it has taken a while to get her where she is, but 12 years later I love and do not miss anything from the house(cept maybe junk mail!)

Just to really upset the apple cart....

I live aboard with 2 huge dogs and a cat on a 50 foot narrowboat. I work and have cc'ed and taken moorings. I currently have a mooring without hook up.

I have a fridge, freezer, washing machine electric kettle,electric toaster, ghd hair straighteners, bread maker, ice cream maker, slow cooker and a microwave. ALL of which I run from the boat, it is doable, you just need to plan your life carefully.

I shower every day (huge water tank) . I have made my boat work for me, although it has taken a while to get her where she is, but 12 years later I love and do not miss anything from the house(cept maybe junk mail!)

How does your cat find living on a boat? Do you let them out or are they a houseboat cat?

What's day to day life like on a boat?

Like any other person, during the week, I get up, go to work, come home, then either work on the boat, visit friends, go to the waterpoint, read a book etc

Do you have pets?

Two cats, who come and go as they please during the day but are shut in at night.

Two of us and the cats

Having an address, that's about it. Never been one for baths

Nope

If you could impart only one piece of information to someone about to buy their first boat what would it be - (aside from get a survey, test run living on a boat by going on a holiday on one for a few weeks)

Think carefully about what you want from a boat and how you'll use it the systems. If you can only heat your water by running the engine, and you don't move the boat every day, you'll get some annoyed neighbours very quickly!

What's day to day life like on a boat?

Like any other person, during the week, I get up, go to work, come home, then either work on the boat, visit friends, go to the waterpoint, read a book etc. At weekends the same, minus the work!

Do you have pets?

Two cats, who come and go as they please during the day but are shut in at night.

Two of us and the cats

Having an address, that's about it. Never been one for baths

Nope

Think carefully about what you want from a boat and how you'll use it the systems. If you can only heat your water by running the engine, and you don't move the boat every day, you'll get some annoyed neighbours very quickly!

In case it helps, I run a training course called 'how to live on a boat'.

Bung me £750 and turn up at my boat on Monday morning, and I'll teach you how.

smile.png

MtB

hummmm think I might wing it..... I certainly missed the course on 'how to live in a flat' and the place is still standing after 5 years! cool.png

i also do a similar course £500 and whisky

Yeahbutnobut Monkey's course don't teach you NUFFINK about living on a bote without whisky.

Come to think about it, nor does mine! But mine also includes how to start a magnificent awesome vintage engine...

:)

MtB