cancel account

Featured Posts

We choose not to remove a member's details when they leave, for that also removes all their posts, and also creates 'orphaned' posts/threads from other members.

Whilst I personally believe that's a shortcoming in the software, that's the way it is.

Therefore, when a member decides to leave, we ask that they simply stop posting, and the threads/posts eventually become history /are archived.

Is that one of them philosfical questions, like that one about trees in forests

Richard

i would answer you but in keeping with the spirit of the perceived nasty attitude on the forum insted I think I'll demigod it and rag on you for asking a question without the correct punktuation

following proper grammar police protocol this post critisizing your punktuation is devoid of any proper formatting of its own

We choose not to remove a member's details when they leave, for that also removes all their posts, and also creates 'orphaned' posts/threads from other members.

Whilst I personally believe that's a shortcoming in the software, that's the way it is.

Therefore, when a member decides to leave, we ask that they simply stop posting, and the threads/posts eventually become history /are archived.

I think it is right and proper that it works the way it does.

If someone has joined, subject to the T&Cs of the forum, then they have no right to expect that anything they have chosen to post suddenly gets erased from the record.

And, as you suggest, a lot of other stuff posted by people who have not chosen to leave would then get left in limbo, and not make a lot of sense.

Anybody who wants to go is entitled to a "throw my toys out of the pram" tantrum post, (indeed as many as they like), but has no right to expect that opinions they have been prepared to make publicly are suddenly struck from the record.

(Although there are a very few posts I have made in the past I wish I could now request be erased! :lol:)

• Greenie 1

In addition, a stropping would-be ex-member is free to go back and edit out all their posts if they are that bothered about it.

MtB

How so?

Your edit time expires after a short while, I think on here it is around 24 to 48 hours. Other forums have more time others less.

I always think its better to simply not visit the forum you're pee'd off with anymore, you'll soon be forgotten.

But then if you're a hypocrite, accuse people of posting simply to get a response so that they can enjoy seeing the posted reactions, you will post or start a topic saying you're leaving. Glass houses & stones I'm thinking.

Edited by Spuds

As Grace and Favour says, typically we do no remove profiles or posts when a member leaves, but instead suggest the member removes any content they wish from their profile and simple stops using the account and allows it to become dormant.

Further to this with typically offer the ability to remove specific content, or to change the username of the account, if the member wishes.

Obviously if you remove a members posts threads become fragmented and the continuity is lost, you can retain the posts when removing the member but they do then effectively become orphaned, neither action can undone without a large amount of manual work. Hence the preferred option of allowing the account to simply become dormant.

Daniel

As Grace and Favour says, typically we do no remove profiles or posts when a member leaves, but instead suggest the member removes any content they wish from their profile and simple stops using the account and allows it to become dormant.Further to this with typically offer the ability to remove specific content, or to change the username of the account, if the member wishes.Obviously if you remove a members posts threads become fragmented and the continuity is lost, you can retain the posts when removing the member but they do then effectively become orphaned, neither action can undone without a large amount of manual work. Hence the preferred option of allowing the account to simply become dormant.Daniel

I think most of us know this already Daniel.

Any comment on Grace and Favours recent outing of a members warning tally and his very public warning he was about to be suspended from the forum?

A few of us are curious.

• 1 month later...

I always think its better to simply not visit the forum you're pee'd off with anymore, you'll soon be forgotten.

But then if you're a hypocrite, accuse people of posting simply to get a response so that they can enjoy seeing the posted reactions, you will post or start a topic saying you're leaving. Glass houses & stones I'm thinking.

I was forgotten the day I joined. I'm only posting because I have just seen I have only 2 more to reach 1000 useless posts. tongue.png