... and you thought CRT was bad!

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Yes, I'm sure there's room for interpretation, but the difference might be due to experience. Perhaps the EA has been hit with enough claims in the past for them to see fit to install such signs, while as a fairly new organisation CRT doesn't have that knowledge and experience yet.

Possibly, but then BW before them took the same line.

What's worse than the signs are the stupid swags of chain at both water levels, attached by what look like rag bolts to the lock walls. Our first encounter with them in a square bottomed, BCN type boat was when the baseplate wearing edge sat up on the bolt heads as we descended so that the whole boat rolled over until everything fell off the galley worktops and out of the bookcase.

Then it slid off, massive swing back the other way to make sure that anything that hadn't yet fallen off now did so. The galley floor was covered in smashed glass, vinegar, olive oil, you name it.

Seemingly, the H&S excuse is that they are there in case someone falls in.

Probably the best H&S sign - Fotheringhay Castle

IMG_0042-2.jpg

Ignore it at your peril . . . Mary Queen of Scots did.

Edit: . . . just noticed, I was beaten to it. . . I wonder if the present owners really intended it to be taken seriously

The Executioner's Risk Assessments would have made interesting reading.

Edited by tony dunkley

"Welcome to Weston Favell Lock. Don't Die"

smiley_offtopic.gif This notice gives a grid reference and so do some CRT notices. I have been told that emergency services prefer to use postcodes. When I called the NHS 111 number recently, I was asked for my postcode. Is there a smartphone app that will show the postcode for your location?

Edit to add that the EA number is now 03708 506 506, which is cheaper to call from a mobile phone.

Maybe they should put the address of the local Undertakers on there as well.

A while back, around when Nick last visited the Nene and before the guillotine gates were (mostly) electrified, the practice of some was to climb the structure. Standing on the counterbalance or gate was thought easier and quicker than winding the handle.

I couldn't possibly condone behavior like that.....

Whistles quietly and looks at shoes :-)

What's worse than the signs are the stupid swags of chain at both water levels, attached by what look like rag bolts to the lock walls. Our first encounter with them in a square bottomed, BCN type boat was when the baseplate wearing edge sat up on the bolt heads as we descended so that the whole boat rolled over until everything fell off the galley worktops and out of the bookcase.

Then it slid off, massive swing back the other way to make sure that anything that hadn't yet fallen off now did so. The galley floor was covered in smashed glass, vinegar, olive oil, you name it.

Seemingly, the H&S excuse is that they are there in case someone falls in.

chains are still there but most bolts have been recessed so problem seems to have been resolved.

Thanks Nick. We thought we were the only ones who found that bit of the Nene extremely unwelcoming.

Agree with your comments on Northampton.

Bob

Don't forger in the 250 years the Nene has been navigable the people of Northamptonshire have been bright enough to build mostly away from the river - other than where necessary, mills for example.

A river prone to flooding is not a brilliant place to build your pub! Hence the lack of amenities along the river.

There are only a couple of old (+200 years) near the river. Everything else is modern development. Our forefathers new a thing or two ;-)

Shame the same can't be said for subsequent town planners and those charged with managing the river - see flooding Easter 98....

As far as commercial traffic, up to the early 60's grain from London to Wellingborough.

Up to the late 70's early 80's minerals from wansford to Peterborough.

Small wonder we don't have the infrastructure of a commercial waterway.

Enjoy your trip Nick, the river is much nicer after Wellingborough :-)

Plenty to do in Peterborough, if you get as far as that.

The cuckoo is a nice pub a short walk from Alwalton lock, there is room to moor in the old mill cut next to the lock.

Enjoy your trip Nick, the river is much nicer after Wellingborough :-)

Plenty to do in Peterborough, if you get as far as that.

The cuckoo is a nice pub a short walk from Alwalton lock, there is room to moor in the old mill cut next to the lock.

Thanks Gazza. The mist has finally cleared and yes it's very pleasant. We hope to make it to Peterborough before turning back.

Any recommendations for diesel on the lower part of the nene?

Thanks Gazza. The mist has finally cleared and yes it's very pleasant. We hope to make it to Peterborough before turning back.

Any recommendations for diesel on the lower part of the nene?

Alan buckle aka ditch paddler on here. He has fuel boat bletchley

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=69189

I don't do Facebook but if you do..

https://m.facebook.com/fuelboatbletchley?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2F&_rdr

Can't find a mobile number though. You may find the odd business card in a lock control cabinet.

Failing that Oundle marina.

Also fuel available at Stanground boat yard near the city centre

I doubt if this is actually legally enforcable - you cannot delegate responsibility for H&S to 'the public' - this was discussed in Parliament some time ago - here is an excerpt from Hansard :

" .......However, inappropriate delegation of health and safety responsibilities will not be a legitimate defence to a charge of gross negligence. The courts will be able to consider how the activity was managed at senior level, and if the answer is that those at senior level failed to manage health and safety appropriately in respect of the activity, that will be potent evidence of failures at that level".

As an example - it is now a legal requirement that every tree, that a member of the public can have regular access to, is subject to inspection,

From the HSE website :

Given the large number of trees in public spaces across the country, control measures that involve inspecting and recording every tree would be disproportionate to the risk. Individual tree inspection is only likely to be necessary in specific circumstances, for example, where a particular tree:

• is in a place frequently visited by the public;
Such trees need an inspection annually by a 'competent person' and every 5 year by a 'qualified person'

There is a now a huge 'business' being developed offering 'tree inspection qualifications'

I wonder how many C&RT employees have qualified ?

http://www.trees.org.uk/aa/news/Professional-Tree-Inspection-course-comes-to-Somerset-187.html

Which is what I am fully employed doing and I do feel the inspection specs and requirements are sensible and robust (well I would wouldn't I)

Alan buckle aka ditch paddler on here. He has fuel boat bletchley

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=69189

I don't do Facebook but if you do..

https://m.facebook.com/fuelboatbletchley?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2F&_rdr

Can't find a mobile number though. You may find the odd business card in a lock control cabinet.

Failing that Oundle marina.

Have a look at the signs on Rushden and Diamonds moorings at Irthingborough, please share photo and let us know how cost effect you think these are.

Yes I have diesel,coal etc, currently moored at Barnwell if you need some give us a shout.

Cheers for the mention Gazza,

Have a look at the signs on Rushden and Diamonds moorings at Irthingborough, please share photo and let us know how cost effect you think these are.

Yes I have diesel,coal etc, currently moored at Barnwell if you need some give us a shout.

Cheers for the mention Gazza,

Yes for the cost of those signs, surely the wooden capping could have been replaced! Sorry, we stopped there for lunch so past it now without photo. Annoying that the water point has been turned off for seemingly no good reason. There is still water from the decommissioned pumpout hose but we didn't fancy using that!

Could you let me know your diesel price please? It will probably be on the way back from Peterborough, Friday or Saturday.

If you haven't passed Denford, good moorings above the lock bridge, if you can deal with reeds, good pub in village (no food).

Or if piles and rings are your prefered stop then there are VM in Thrapston / Islip above tbe bridge but it will test your reversing if no bow thruster :)

If you haven't passed Denford, good moorings above the lock bridge, if you can deal with reeds, good pub in village (no food).

Or if piles and rings are your prefered stop then there are VM in Thrapston / Islip above tbe bridge but it will test your reversing if no bow thruster :)

Thanks, just coming up to Denford but it's a bit early to stop, I was aiming for Thrapston. No problem reversing without a bowthruster -it's a Hudson!

Don't forget the very good visitors moorings at thrapston sailing club

Short walk into town.

Are those the ones by the lagoon? Planning to eat and drink on the boat tonight so no need for civilisation. Edited by nicknorman

Thanks, just coming up to Denford but it's a bit early to stop, I was aiming for Thrapston. No problem reversing without a bowthruster -it's a Hudson!

Are those the ones by the lagoon? Planning to eat and drink on the boat tonight so no need for civilisation.

Middle Nene sailing club is behind the moorings just after Islip lock.

If you want it a bit more remote and quiet then head for Titchmarsh which is the next lock.

The 48 hour mooring isn't very long and is having to double as a lock landing stage

You may be better mooring upstream of the lock and having a look if it is free. There is lots of space upstream so you won't hinder people using the lock

Aldwincle lakes and the nature reserve to your left looking downstream. Very peaceful place to stop

Its home to our boat club - Middle Nene cruising club :-)

Edited by gazza

Decided to stop at the sailing club since there was space (bird in the hand etc). We did stop for water at Thrapston (spotted the water point after the bows were in the bridge hole, so frantic reversing) and had a nice cuppa there in sunshine on the picnic benches there, complete with birthday cake /candles for Jeff's mum. Reversing out would be interesting if there were any current, but fortunately there was none.

We did stop for water at Thrapston (spotted the water point after the bows were in the bridge hole, so frantic reversing) and had a nice cuppa there in sunshine on the picnic benches there, complete with birthday cake /candles for Jeff's mum. Reversing out would be interesting if there were any current, but fortunately there was none.

When heading downstream, it is one of the few options for waiting whilst water levels fall to give adequate head clearance at the low footbridge below the lock. For the impatient (like myself) this tends to mean that you leave the mooring when the stream is still flowing apace. The potential for ending up broadside across the bridge piers is definitely there.

Drawing the boat backwards on ropes before gunning it cross/upstream (and then turning about when well clear of the bridge) worked for us last year.