Private Sale or Broker?

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

When we are finally in a position to seriously look at boats (instead of daydreaming about the ones i see online) Is it better as a first time boat owner to go through a brokerage to find one, or would private sales be okay?

We're lucky in that I have a friend who is a marine engineer - He'll be able to come along on viewings of any real contenders with us, and we will of course get a survey done before purchasing, I'm terrified of getting caught out because I'm a novice boat buyer.

Hi,

Both really, to get a good feel of what boating is all about, be careful with some brokers and deposit payments (check if the deposit is refundable).

Be prepared for some disappointments, both in boats and people and call on the Forum for help.

Good Luck and happy boating.

L.

Edited by LEO

Brokers take their cut of the price (from the seller) so boats bought from them may be a little more expensive; but they can save you a whole heap of hassle regarding establishing that the boat actually belongs to the seller (and there have been cases mentioned on here recently where it didn't!) and other procedures.

Yes, take the tame marine engineer with you when you go and see a boat. He may spot things, and ask probing questions, which you would not do. This may cost you a few beer vouchers but could save you thousands of pounds.

Aaaaannnddd....when you've found the right boat...all together now:

Get A Survey, and not by a surveyor appointed by the broker. This WILL cost you quite a few beer vouchers, but could save you thousands of pounds.

When we are finally in a position to seriously look at boats (instead of daydreaming about the ones i see online) Is it better as a first time boat owner to go through a brokerage to find one, or would private sales be okay?

We're lucky in that I have a friend who is a marine engineer - He'll be able to come along on viewings of any real contenders with us, and we will of course get a survey done before purchasing, I'm terrified of getting caught out because I'm a novice boat buyer.

Doesn't really make much difference as far as I can tell, it's the boat you're buying that counts more so than where it's come from. Just make sure the person selling it you owns it and that it's what they claim it is. Having someone who knows boats to help you makes life easier. A survey is of course useful carried out by a surveyor you have chosen and preferably done while you're there (a surveyor may say things to you they'd be reluctant to put to paper).

I'm not sure getting caught out buying boats is that common it's just that it can be financially catastrophic when it does happen.

Perfect - thanks for the reply. I can assure you there will be a steady supply of beer tokens to help with our purchase, and will definitely get an independent surveyor!

I shall just have to keep my eyes and ears out everywhere for the right boat!

Is there a north/south price difference? Would it be in my interests to look further afield that say 1/2 hours away from me?

To an extent perhaps ,though I think that companies like Apollo Duck who operate nationwide have largely ironed it out; but there is probably more of a seasonal price difference. Lots of people want a boat in the spring, but fewer in the late autumn and the winter. Thus in the "off" season there are many people wanting to sell their boats and not so many wanting to buy them, resulting in the possibility of good deals for the buyer. I have only ever bought two boats second-hand, and I bought both in November (some years apart), and got substantial discounts on the asking price on both of them.

Is there a north/south price difference? Would it be in my interests to look further afield that say 1/2 hours away from me?

Put some of the budget aside for petrol money and spend it. I think some of the best bargains are in the east and west midlands where there are a lot of big marina and a lots of boats to look at. Lancashire, Yorkshire and around Stoke are good too but unless it's something special it's a long way if you have to keep doing it.

Anything within half an hour of Berkshire specially if it comes with a mooring will probably come at a premium. Have you thought where you will moor yet assuming you're not going to CC, it might be worth picking some marinas or areas and seeing what's for sale there and comes with a mooring otherwise you'll be looking for a mooring too, although to be fair they're not as hard to come by as they used to be.

K

Put some of the budget aside for petrol money and spend it. I think some of the best bargains are in the east and west midlands where there are a lot of big marina and a lots of boats to look at. Lancashire, Yorkshire and around Stoke are good too but unless it's something special it's a long way if you have to keep doing it.

Anything within half an hour of Berkshire specially if it comes with a mooring will probably come at a premium. Have you thought where you will moor yet assuming you're not going to CC, it might be worth picking some marinas or areas and seeing what's for sale there and comes with a mooring otherwise you'll be looking for a mooring too, although to be fair they're not as hard to come by as they used to be.

K

I'm quite happy to travel to find the right boat certainly.

Ideally we can go Reading/Newbury/Hurley/Maidenhead/Henley/Aldermaston - I'm happy to commute for upto an hour so quite open to location. (All probably premium areas - but as they are the only places I've looked at, these costs are factored in from the start)

In an ideal world a boat with mooring will come up in one of the above areas, but I'm willing to make a further afield location work for us, until something closer becomes available. This is a long term lifestyle change for us, and we'll do what is needed to make it work.

Yes - although I had hoped to keep the size under 59ft (Is this sensible? I read that you can't take 60ft + everywhere, and for handling something smaller would be better)

But definitely something along those lines! something we can move into, but put our own stamp on with time.

60' boats will cover over 90% of the network, and in my experience, a 60' boat, because of it's length - is easier to steer and handle.

Having said that, a 60' boat will cost more to keep, licence and paint - but there's also the likelyhood of more usable space too.

There are any number of reasons to determine the length of your preferred boat - but handling a 60' is normally most straightforward. (my first hireboat was 69' and was a dream to steer)

I'm in two minds on this one.

I know someone who sold his boat via a broker. He had dropped his price, and the boat sold the very first day. I'm sure that's because brokers probably phone prospective buyers when a "good one" arrives. That would then mean that all the boats they have which are "lying around" are probably overpriced , or have something wrong with them?

If you buy privately, and have cash on hand, you can probably save yourself thousands. ? Having fitted out a boat, I would say that as long as you get a boat with a decent hull, you can easily refit any part of the above water bit quite cheaply down the line, unless you want a very high class, finish (oak, carpenter etc)

60' boats will cover over 90% of the network, and in my experience, a 60' boat, because of it's length - is easier to steer and handle.

Having said that, a 60' boat will cost more to keep, licence and paint - but there's also the likelyhood of more usable space too.

There are any number of reasons to determine the length of your preferred boat - but handling a 60' is normally most straightforward. (my first hireboat was 69' and was a dream to steer)

Thanks, that's really interesting. And no doubt extra living space would be an advantage, I'll consider larger boats too.

I have only been a member of this forum a few days and the information you have all parted with has been invaluable. Truely lovely community that makes the leap from solid land all the more exciting.

Speaking from own perspective I knew what i wanted when I walked onto a sail away that spoke to me.

Sadly that one was not to be but became bench mark for that beacon ahead.

I was so lucky the guy who created that sail away made my dream come true.. a fabulous man who listened to my dream and made it reality. I still feel thats its not real, yet it is.People like him are unique and to be treasured. Thing is I know how fortunate I am, that the wheel of fate turned as it did at that moment and I met Stuart, without him I don't think I would have had this boat.

Walk on boats, look listen, they talk to you, you will know "The One"..

Speaking from own perspective I knew what i wanted when I walked onto a sail away that spoke to me.

Sadly that one was not to be but became bench mark for that beacon ahead.

I was so lucky the guy who created that sail away made my dream come true.. a fabulous man who listened to my dream and made it reality. I still feel thats its not real, yet it is.People like him are unique and to be treasured. Thing is I know how fortunate I am, that the wheel of fate turned as it did at that moment and I met Stuart, without him I don't think I would have had this boat.

Walk on boats, look listen, they talk to you, you will know "The One"..

Yes, I'm assuming it's similar to house buying and selling - (i'm an estate agent, so I know when people have found 'the one'!) Going to keep a very open mind and look at as many as possible within our price range.

I'm sure you could rewrite some of the brokers' descriptions of boats too.

"Benefitting from panoramic water views.....dual aspect lounge...compact accommodation....ideal starter home....ready for you to put your personal stamp*" etc.biggrin.png

* This one's an empty shell.

I'm sure you could rewrite some of the brokers' descriptions of boats too.

"Benefitting from panoramic water views.....dual aspect lounge...compact accommodation....ideal starter home....ready for you to put your personal stamp*" etc.biggrin.png

* This one's an empty shell.

tongue.png - it's definitely something I could excel in....maybe I'll have a slight change of career....

I'm in two minds on this one.

I know someone who sold his boat via a broker. He had dropped his price, and the boat sold the very first day. I'm sure that's because brokers probably phone prospective buyers when a "good one" arrives. That would then mean that all the boats they have which are "lying around" are probably overpriced , or have something wrong with them?

If you buy privately, and have cash on hand, you can probably save yourself thousands. ? Having fitted out a boat, I would say that as long as you get a boat with a decent hull, you can easily refit any part of the above water bit quite cheaply down the line, unless you want a very high class, finish (oak, carpenter etc)

We are quite pally with the sales team for the brokerage in our marina.

We know that they have a list of potential buyers and what they are looking for. When something comes in they ring them to get the first look. Some boats dont even make it onto the brokerage website before they are sold.

Buying through a broker does give you some advantages over a private purchase as does selling through a broker.

hummm it looks like it wouldn't hurt to register our interest with some brokers as well as keep an eye on private listings - we'll have to money ready to go as won't be arranging any finance, which I hope works in our favour.

Certainly can't hurt. You're always going to be taken more seriously if you've got the cash ready to do a deal.

hummm it looks like it wouldn't hurt to register our interest with some brokers as well as keep an eye on private listings - we'll have to money ready to go as won't be arranging any finance, which I hope works in our favour.

As our feline friend says, it will do no harm and in fact should work in your favour. Think of when you're buying a car or a house - people can't argue with cash and there are no waiting periods while pen-pushers decide if you're dodgy or not.

I see that your avatar has changed. May we infer that there has been a small quadruped addition to your household?