River Class butty 'Hay'

James Owen

Featured Posts

Hi all, I'm interested in finding out anything about this boat...whether she even still exists at all would be a start and also any history on her ?

I've got an idea she was motorised and converted back in the 70's but little else since then...even if she's been spotted out somewhere I'd love to know ??

Hi all, I'm interested in finding out anything about this boat...whether she even still exists at all would be a start and also any history on her ?

I've got an idea she was motorised and converted back in the 70's but little else since then...even if she's been spotted out somewhere I'd love to know ??

I can confirm that all of the 'River Class' boats exist in some form, the only one that I have not seen been FAL (although it does seem to exist on Jim Shead's website).

Seem to remember seeing it somewhere about New Bradwell (north Milton Keynes) on the GU

If my memory is correct has a counter stern and a dog box for steering from.

I saw 3 on my return trip but can't remember which was where.

Seem to remember seeing it somewhere about New Bradwell (north Milton Keynes) on the GU

If my memory is correct has a counter stern and a dog box for steering from.

I saw 3 on my return trip but can't remember which was where.

I have the same problem trying to remember which River is which, but don't think the one with the "dog box" is "Hay" - If you mean the one also with Blue Tops, isn't that Dee?

I think Hay is the fairly smartly converted one that seems to have a permanent tow-path mooring just short of Wyvern Shipping's base at Linslade.

(The reference to permanent mooring isn't intending to imply something else BTW, I think it is probably a paid for CRT mooring!)

This is a photo of one of the River Class butties which was taken on the GU in April 2012. Unfortunately I cannot remember its name. Is this Hay?

I think that is the one to which "Loddon" refers.

I don't believe that is "Hay" - I think it is probably "Dee", but could have the wrong river!

I see it all the time, but I don't think there is a name conspicuous.

Another converted "River" in the area is "Exe", possibly based on the Aylesbury arm, I'm not sure.

Edit:

It seems I do have the wrong River, as this is "Dee", and is not the one with the little cabin on, is it?

Linky.

Edited by alan_fincher

I think that is the one to which "Loddon" refers.

I don't believe that is "Hay" - I think it is probably "Dee", but could have the wrong river!

I see it all the time, but I don't think there is a name conspicuous.

Another converted "River" in the area is "Exe", possibly based on the Aylesbury arm, I'm not sure.

Exe is based in Circus Fields on the Aylesbury Arm

Tim

Two converted ones here which I think we decided were Wey and Aye.

8344583791_251fd71525.jpg

Wey by imulford, on Flickr

8344583211_79b07d0ffb.jpg

Aye? by imulford, on Flickr

Yes, Wey is now a crane boat working for A&R Rothen contractors. As for Aye, it hadn't changed much by this time last year although I'll be passing later on this week and will take a look then.

IMG_3670_zps309edc38.jpg

This is a photo of one of the River Class butties which was taken on the GU in April 2012. Unfortunately I cannot remember its name. Is this Hay?

I don't think so, when I last saw it the conversion was full length (that's not to say some blue-tops weren't found and refitted).

Is it Hay that's moored on the GU, Tesco moorings in Leighton Buzzard? Hull looks older than the top and appears slightly wider than a standard narrowboat (but I could be mistaken). It's still there now.

Beautiful boat but I had the misfortune of having the owners as my neighbours last year. They stole my long term mooring within minutes of my boat being taken to the boatyard opposite. And they even moved the vacant boat from behind them up to ensure neither me or anyone else on the long term moorings could pull in near them. Sorry if any of you know them, but vastly unpleasant people.

Boat is lovely though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...