caprice 2020

davidc

Featured Posts

Had a major scare last night switch on the grill on my caprice 2020 gas cooker and it exploded in flame, went straight to gas locker which is only about 4 foot away turned of gas, know now CO2 and CO monitors work very well.

Apart from no hair on both forearms trimmed eyebrows and side burns am alright
Have two questions

1. Does anyone have any recommendations for someone to look at my cooker and tell me if it can be repaired and cost , in the Great Heywood area?

2. Also where is the best place to buy a replacement if necessary excluding ebay

Have no idea why it happened was alright day before and as gas scares me I have no intention of dismantling the cooker to find out why

Bloody hell. Lucky you are ok.

Do you think one of the gas rings was left on? Has it got flame failure devices. I have had a moderate flame off a cooker once when I lit it again after something boiled over and the gas was still coming out. Not as bad as that though it was fairly unsettling.

In theory the gas from one of the rings could end up in the grill area, possibly :unsure: ir maybe the grill was left on a bit

No I always turn off gas after using the cooker and turn it back on when I am going to cook.

It has flame failure devices and usually the grill is hard to light, all I can say when I pushed it the grill Knob there was a load whoosh noise but I was pressing the ignite button at the same time , that was when the flame explosion happened I think the metal tube of the grill failed and gas came out unrestricted .

That why I want someone that deals with gas appliance to look before I do anything.

Well, although I can not recommend that you do the same I stripped my Caprice 2040 and found a loose connection from the grill tap leaking gas. From memory the pipes were steel so with a bit of age I fear they may rust through.

I know I had a swine of a job to find the parts list and service manual but once I had it there were a number of places willing to sell me spares (Google). Trouble is the link was on my laptop but I can't find it now (the link, not the laptop).

If the 22020 is similar to the 2040 then the cooker has t come out and a partial dismantle of the top undertaken. I found the burner cap screws snapped so the burner bases required drilling out and tapping.

Sorry I can not give you a link to the manuals.

Well, although I can not recommend that you do the same I stripped my Caprice 2040 and found a loose connection from the grill tap leaking gas. From memory the pipes were steel so with a bit of age I fear they may rust through.

I know I had a swine of a job to find the parts list and service manual but once I had it there were a number of places willing to sell me spares (Google). Trouble is the link was on my laptop but I can't find it now (the link, not the laptop).

If the 22020 is similar to the 2040 then the cooker has t come out and a partial dismantle of the top undertaken. I found the burner cap screws snapped so the burner bases required drilling out and tapping.

Sorry I can not give you a link to the manuals.

Not the manual but the parts list. It may help. http://www.leisurespares.co.uk/files/caprice_2020_parts_list.pdf

Please also have your (main) gas regulator checked for correct operation.

The whoosh of gas you describe should not happen with a functioning regulator (if I have understood your description correctly!)

The gas downstream of the regulator should be at quite low pressure (37mbar tops) giving the normal hiss but not a whoosh.

Please also have your (main) gas regulator checked for correct operation.

The whoosh of gas you describe should not happen with a functioning regulator (if I have understood your description correctly!)

The gas downstream of the regulator should be at quite low pressure (37mbar tops) giving the normal hiss but not a whoosh.

Just had the whole installation check by a gas fitter who was recommended by BSS Examiner, and you where right on the button

My gas regulator had totally failed the full pressure of the bottles was going to the gas cooker