Getting the anchor ready...

Featured Posts

anchor004_zps59fdcdc1.jpg

In the top right hand corner of the second photo there's something that I could thread the rope through...is this what this is for?

I would suggest the "Something" top right of picture 2 is actually welded on there to attach the anchor warp to with a suitable D shackle

Gypsy? I thought that was the wheel on an anchor winch which mates with the chain unsure.png

I would call it a chain pipe

The deck fitting I mean

Naar. The pipe is called the hawse pipe ( or is that just the one that goes from the forecastle deck to the hole on the bow?)

N

If you want to smile.png but it is in fact a chainpipe wink.png

Hawsers are used on big boats not canal boats.

Google "chain pipe" and you will find it being sold at chandlers.

Try a google image search you'll see the difference. The P&O ferry I am on now (just off Calais) has a hawsepipe or probably several. A canal boat has a chain pipe...

On ships the chain to which the anchor is attached is called the anchor cable. This is historical. In the days of Nelson it was a cable laid rope (three right hand laid ropes laid up to make a left hand laid cable).

N

I would suggest the "Something" top right of picture 2 is actually welded on there to attach the anchor warp to with a suitable D shackle

Hawsepipe, the inclined pipe or tube which leads from the hawsehole of a ship, on the deck close to the bows, to the outside of the vessel.

The Oxford Companion to Ships and the Sea

There is no entry for spurling pipe .... however.......

Spurling gate, a cast iron fitting in the deck of a ship through which the cable passes on the way down to the chain locker.

I remember now. The pipe down to the chain locker is indeed called the spurling pipe.

N

It might be too late to mention now, however. The bowline can work loose when not under load. For this reason it's recommended to at least back it up with a stopper knot. When climbing, I use a double bowline with a Yosemite finish and back that up with a stopper knot. Regardless of how much load it's subjected to, it can be undone easily, but guarantees it'll only come undone when you decide to undo it, not when you're half way up a climb, or, when you're about to deploy your anchor.

The double bowline is simply a standard bowline but made with two loops instead of one. There are quite a few clips on YouTube that show making the knot.

eg http://youtu.be/tle6LJXOiAs

Rob