How to survey?

Foxtrot

Featured Posts

I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to sorting out a pre-sale survey because I never thought I'd get to this stage! So here's some questions:

- How much is it going to cost me for the survey? (not including lifting the boat, we'll get to that later.)

- How do I find a surveyor?

- Will I have to be present at the survey?

- Do surveyor's work weekends?

-Whats their availability? (days, weeks, months notice etc.)

-And finally for all you eager beavers, how much would it cost to have the boat lifted and what sort of options should I expect to have (crane, dry dock etc.)?

Thanks in advance. Could not put a value on how much help you guys are.

Foxy

If you mention what area the boat's in, then I expect members in that area may well recommend a good/reliable/suitable surveyor

You can have a complete boat survey - or just the hull. (opinion differs on which is most suitable, though if it were a boat I was buying, I would most probably go for the full survey)

Some surveyors work weekends, some don't.

Survey costs may differ according to the part of the country - - (I believe that they are dearer in London - like most things)

So do dry-docks, cranes etc......

So - again, if you give us a clue to the area, members will doubtless recommend operations that they have had good experience of

A full survey including pulling the boat from the water and putting it back is costing me £1100 most of which goes to the surveyor. The hull survey only shaves off a couple of hundred so I decided to have a complete survey.

Edited to add that is in the north west

Edited by Cheshire cat

If you mention what area the boat's in, then I expect members in that area may well recommend a good/reliable/suitable surveyor

You can have a complete boat survey - or just the hull. (opinion differs on which is most suitable, though if it were a boat I was buying, I would most probably go for the full survey)

Some surveyors work weekends, some don't.

Survey costs may differ according to the part of the country - - (I believe that they are dearer in London - like most things)

So do dry-docks, cranes etc......

So - again, if you give us a clue to the area, members will doubtless recommend operations that they have had good experience of

I'm looking at boats everywhere so trying to get a general idea. Most are in the midlands, either side of the peaks.

If you budget for £1000 per survey/lift you will be 'about right' - you may get a bit of change or you may have to find a few extra pounds.

Boatyards that have a trailer that simply slides under the boat and is pulled out by a tractor will be considerably cheaper for a lift out that a boatyard that has one of these 'walking sling lifts', or, has to hire in a huge crane.

A cruiser lift-out may work out more expensive (or cheaper) than a narrowboat depending on the boatyard facilities.

A full survey including pulling the boat from the water and putting it back is costing me £1100 most of which goes to the surveyor. The hull survey only shaves off a couple of hundred so I decided to have a complete survey.

Edited to add that is in the north west

How things move on. My survey cost £220 incuding a crane lift but that was 16 years ago (ironically exactly to todays date). That was in Northampton. I'll have to start saving up for my insurance one in 2020

If you budget for £1000 per survey/lift you will be 'about right' - you may get a bit of change or you may have to find a few extra pounds.

Boatyards that have a trailer that simply slides under the boat and is pulled out by a tractor will be considerably cheaper for a lift out that a boatyard that has one of these 'walking sling lifts', or, has to hire in a huge crane.

A cruiser lift-out may work out more expensive (or cheaper) than a narrowboat depending on the boatyard facilities.

Interesting you say that as i was just amazed by some of the prices quoted.

Our marina isnt one of the cheapest in the area and lift out for ours is £80. If its held on the yard trailer and relaunched within 2 hours thats it. If its chocked ashore its then £80 to put it back in. Our full survey was £300 some 7 years ago but we know someone who has just used the same chap and he was charged £300 for a full survey so he would seem to have held his prices. So say £460 for a full survey.

They pull the narrowboats out on a similar trailer but charge slightly more, from memory its £120 each way.

Last lift out for an inspection that I paid for was for a 55 foot (ish) survey vessel in Hollyhead can't be sure of the exact price, as I paid for it then claimed it back so I haven't got the receipt. That was around £200 for a lift and hold (couple of hours) and re-launch

Not sure of the costs, but I would have said less than £1000 in the Midlands, perhaps £800 including lift, but I would certainly say that you should be there for the survey, you can ask questinos, and you get a much better impression of the surveyors opinion than reading a report later. It cost a lot of money and is worth taking a days holiday if you need to, that is what I did.