Boat renaming

watcher

Featured Posts

I like to keep original names if possible. "Sabina H" is original and had been kept throughout her life.

"Shapfell", as far as I know is the original name although she has had a few ('orrible ones) over the years.

"Pippin", I have no idea, she was called that when I bought her and for a run about seems apt, so it stayed.

I like sensible, apt or traditional names for boats and if I ever purchased one with what I consider an unsuitable name, I would change it.

Change the name, nothing will happen...

...probably

wink.png

Unfortunately i'm one of those irrational people that salutes single magpies etc etc so although I would re name my boat if i wanted to (although i'm happy with the original one) i would do it whilst in dry dock. Think thats the superstition anyway

Unfortunately i'm one of those irrational people that salutes single magpies etc etc so although I would re name my boat if i wanted to (although i'm happy with the original one) i would do it whilst in dry dock. Think thats the superstition anyway

I hit a magpie yesterday with the van. On the M6.

Still saluted it as it bounced on it's way. I don't think it helped it though.

Edited by series3
  • Greenie 1

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the reason it's considered bad luck, is from back in 't olden days, when sea boats were made of wood. If the name was changed the original one was chiseled out before the new one was put on, so it made the hull weaker, too many times and the boat would have ended up with a hole in it.

I don't know how true it is, but assuming it is right, I wouldn't worry with a steel hull :-)

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the reason it's considered bad luck, is from back in 't olden days, when sea boats were made of wood. If the name was changed the original one was chiseled out before the new one was put on, so it made the hull weaker, too many times and the boat would have ended up with a hole in it.

I don't know how true it is, but assuming it is right, I wouldn't worry with a steel hull :-)

It's a fun theory, but why didn't they just use paint instead of carving then? I'm guessing that paint was invented before boats or chisels? Or of course they could have just carved the name on a plank then nailed it on.

If/when I get a boat (it used to be if, but I'm moving slowly in the direction of when!) I'd be inclined to keep an existing name out of respect for tradition, unless it was one I really couldn't live with. My brother didn't like his second hand boat's name at first, but he kept it and is now happy with it.

I remember doing some research on this (I'm not superstitious, just curious) and remember reading somewhere that changing a boat's name angered Poseidon. Do we have an equivalent underwater god for the inland waterways?

Poseidon will do us fine, he actually built a canal according to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poseidon

"A mortal woman named Cleito once lived on an isolated island; Poseidon fell in love with the human mortal and created a dwelling sanctuary at the top of a hill near the middle of the island and surrounded the dwelling with rings of water and land to protect her."

When we bought our boat she was called Thrupp'ny Peace by the previous owner who lived in Thrupp. When we had her re-painted I, being a "careful" Scot , found out the sign writer charged by the letter so we called her Nel after my wife. So far, no repercussions from the gods of the cut.

1 Think of a new name

2 Fill in forms to let CRT and the insurance company know

3 Paint out old name

4 Relax with a beer

Nothing bad will happen. Or if it does, it's nothing whatsoever to do with the name change.

Sooner or later

5 Get around to having the new name painted on -- in the meantime, a piece of paper in the window is fine.