rubbing down non slip roof

umpire111

Featured Posts

have acquired a boat and the roof is essentially non slip. There are parts that have been masked off and left without a non slip. Am told that sand has been used to make the non slip parts. Its has a no of spots (some large) that have cracked, chipped my question is do I need to rub off all of the non slip or can I simply paint over the the worn bits and then add sand to those only. Do I have to take all of the non slip off or can I effectively patch up? We intend to repaint the whole roof a new colour and keep the same non slip areas that are there now.

We've talked about this a couple of time, I still stand by using a blowlamp I got 30 years of sand and crud off in no time after having wasted a pile of sanding discs and a tin of paint stripper, personally I'd do the whole lot I patched up cracks for a few years but it never worked. It is questionable whether it's worth putting it back on, I think yes but I walk on the roof seemingly more than most.

K

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?s=f40264a0dd7ca4f691b73fc26c38f9a2&showtopic=67391&hl=slip
http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?s=f40264a0dd7ca4f691b73fc26c38f9a2&showtopic=69500&hl=blowlamp&page=2

I'm "still banging the rocks together" technologically speaking but the I used the good old fashioned blow lamp like everyone did to remove paint in the old days and you know what, it still works awesomely well. £5 for a gas canister and a bit of orbital sanding later, job done.

K

I replaced a couple of panels and patched the rest.If you patch or replace use Kiln dried sand/Budgie sand through sieve.Instead of rubbing down give it a good cleaning with sugar soap this will provide a key.There are lots of good tips if you do a search on here on how to remove it or repair it.Next time i think i might remove it as it serves little purpose on the whole of the roof except for trapping dirt and soot. Paul