Single handed locking (on the GU)

Galeomma

Featured Posts

Fortunately I'm not going to lower myself to your level so just take on board what you've been told. It is the attitude of people like Mr Dunkley that make me not bother with forums most of the time. Anyway.

Try the 'ignore' facility - I find it works a treat with one or two 'members'.

I'm pretty sure that none of us have the "credentials" to call someone (particularly someone who had the good grace to publicly post their own feck up on the internet almost 20 years later for their peers to enjoy!) a "wanker" with impunity based on one YouTube video, posted by the person who made the mistake and clearly titled to indicate such!

I mean, to me, that's just asking for karma to smack you upside the head pretty hard next time you go out boating.,..

The video didn't show one mistake, as you seem to think. I stand by what was said in # 61, it was one foul up after another right from the beginning when he was stuck on something and stood on the counter running ahead and trying to shove it off with a shaft, instead of going about it the right way. As I said before, not somebody just getting something wrong, but somebody who didn't have a clue how to do anything right.

Fortunately I'm not going to lower myself to your level so just take on board what you've been told. It is the attitude of people like Mr Dunkley that make me not bother with forums most of the time. Anyway.

The best reason for you not to bother with Forums is the fact that you don't what you're talking about. Why not change your forum name to 'giveitsomethought', and then try and live up to it.

The best reason for you not to bother with Forums is the fact that you don't what you're talking about. Why not change your forum name to 'giveitsomethought', and then try and live up to it.

I appreciate we are meant to refer to a post and not the person, when we are replying to a post we do not agree with...but do YOU realize what a prat you sound like in the above post?

I know neither of you personally and really have no idea who knows and who doesn't know what they are talking about between the two of you, but the above post is simply rude and uncalled for IMHO

• Greenie 2

I appreciate we are meant to refer to a post and not the person, when we are replying to a post we do not agree with...but do YOU realize what a prat you sound like in the above post?

I know neither of you personally and really have no idea who knows and who doesn't know what they are talking about between the two of you, but the above post is simply rude and uncalled for IMHO

I think it was 'called for' by the tone of #71 and #74. Anyone posting the sort of tripe that was in #71, based, incidentally, on assumptions that are about as wrong as it's possible to be, shouldn't be surprised by a less than affable response.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Tony Dunkley doesn't seem very forthcoming to tell us his credentials. His signature suggests he is something to do with a company called Canal & River Transport Services, Nottingham, Est.1968.

No records seems to exist for this company or any director called A K Dunkley. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I know nothing of Tony Dunkley or what he gets up to but a business does not need to be registered as a company, neither does it require that you are a director. You can just run a business "trading as".

Funny video by the way.

Single handed boating is all about method and timimg, in reality it doesn't matter too much what the method is but you really have to stick to it and keep the timing, because when you stray things go wrong.

First of all missing the motor is easily done, I leant that at a very young age coming up Bosley locks, the motor just went straight across the bottom pound into the rushes, I had to wade out to get onto her. It happened because I was too greedy pulling bottom paddles for the butty, and forgot about two top gates! Timing! Such is life shit happens. You just have to hope it not bad stuff.

Coming downhill I use the cabin shaft and my free arm to close bottom gates, you can also steer the boat by the way you push on the roof, takes practice!

A boatman told me a tale of coming up Kings lock with a loaded boat, into the lock, left with clutch dragging in forwards, pulled the paddles, into the pub for a quick pint, only someone bought him a second one, watched boat potter off up the pound! By the time it reach tywfords where the cut bends it had reached the far bank, and tywfords had carefully stacked all their earthenware 10 high on pallets, hanging out over the cut, to get maximum stacking, the boat just demolished all the piles! Said boatman had hell to pay, from his boss (his Father) and was ground to the yard for months.