Single handed locking (on the GU)

Galeomma

Featured Posts

.... It became quite sociable at points on the GU, going through several locks with the same boat/s. At other times I mobilised some random members of the public who were hanging around the locks (I know there's a word for such people, I can't remember it right now) and they seemed to enjoy opening & closing gates as directed! .....

!

Gongoozler.

• 4 months later...

Many years ago I remember seeing, and I am sure it was on Waterworld someone who had developed a remote cntrol system for steering and use of throttle on a narrowboat for a disabled person. Now I am no engineer but it would seem to me that a remote controlled throttle, forget the steering bit, would be a boon for single handed boating through locks, especially for those of us getting on in years. I would be interested if any of our members have looked into this before? I would imagine the biggest drawback with this sort of thing would be cost.

Many years ago I remember seeing, and I am sure it was on Waterworld someone who had developed a remote cntrol system for steering and use of throttle on a narrowboat for a disabled person. Now I am no engineer but it would seem to me that a remote controlled throttle, forget the steering bit, would be a boon for single handed boating through locks, especially for those of us getting on in years. I would be interested if any of our members have looked into this before? I would imagine the biggest drawback with this sort of thing would be cost.

You should also check whether your insurers will permit it. Some at least require an adult to be on board at all times when the boat is under way. They weren't at all happy with the idea of my more-than-competent then 13-year old steeering the boat alone with me on the towpath, although any Tom, Dick or Harry over 18 with no prior experience is fine.

You should also check whether your insurers will permit it. Some at least require an adult to be on board at all times when the boat is under way. They weren't at all happy with the idea of my more-than-competent then 13-year old steeering the boat alone with me on the towpath, although any Tom, Dick or Harry over 18 with no prior experience is fine.

Saga for one

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

You don't need anything as complicated as that for narrow locks.

When going up a narrow lock singlehanded, put the foreend against the bottom gates and leave the boat in tickover forwards. You open one gate, the boat gently does the other, and comes into the lock slowly. Get up to the top paddles and draw half a paddle when the boat's about a quarter of a length from the cill- this will slow it down so it gently touches the cill. Close one bottom gate, step across to close the other, and draw the other paddle at the top gate. Stand on the side opposite to the balance beam of the top gate; as soon as the gate looks like it's moving, lower the paddle on your side, cross over the fore end, and finish opening the gate before lowering the paddle on your side. As the boat passes you, put it into tickover astern; when it's clear, close the gate, hop back onto the boat as it returns to you, and back into gear to head to the next lock.

When coming downhill, I find the draw of the paddles is normally enough to keep the fore end against the bottom gates, and the stern end away from the cill. You could strap the top gate closed if you're brave, or just close it normally once the boat's against the bottom gates.

Draw the bottom paddles, and then when the boat moves back from the gates towards the cill, you know the lock's empty. Open the gate on your side, lower the paddle, step across and open the other gate, lowering that paddle. Down the ladder onto the boat, in gear and out. Stop in the lock mouth- if you go into astern gear just as you're passing the mitre edge of the gates, they'll tend to start closing. Use the cabin shaft to push the gates closed, and then carefully- so they don't open again behind you- into gear and away.

NB- this is less successful on wide locks.....

You don't need anything as complicated as that for narrow locks.

When going up a narrow lock singlehanded, put the foreend against the bottom gates and leave the boat in tickover forwards. You open one gate, the boat gently does the other, and comes into the lock slowly. Get up to the top paddles and draw half a paddle when the boat's about a quarter of a length from the cill- this will slow it down so it gently touches the cill. Close one bottom gate, step across to close the other, and draw the other paddle at the top gate. Stand on the side opposite to the balance beam of the top gate; as soon as the gate looks like it's moving, lower the paddle on your side, cross over the fore end, and finish opening the gate before lowering the paddle on your side. As the boat passes you, put it into tickover astern; when it's clear, close the gate, hop back onto the boat as it returns to you, and back into gear to head to the next lock.

When coming downhill, I find the draw of the paddles is normally enough to keep the fore end against the bottom gates, and the stern end away from the cill. You could strap the top gate closed if you're brave, or just close it normally once the boat's against the bottom gates.

Draw the bottom paddles, and then when the boat moves back from the gates towards the cill, you know the lock's empty. Open the gate on your side, lower the paddle, step across and open the other gate, lowering that paddle. Down the ladder onto the boat, in gear and out. Stop in the lock mouth- if you go into astern gear just as you're passing the mitre edge of the gates, they'll tend to start closing. Use the cabin shaft to push the gates closed, and then carefully- so they don't open again behind you- into gear and away.

NB- this is less successful on wide locks.....

When I do this the boat travels backwards and hits the cill end on, and I worry that it does the rudder no good, even though I usually remember to put the tiller hard over, about 80 degrees, it still projects a bit.

When I do this the boat travels backwards and hits the cill end on, and I worry that it does the rudder no good, even though I usually remember to put the tiller hard over, about 80 degrees, it still projects a bit.

Mine does sometimes too, as I can't usually use the full two tipcats and a button on the stern as then it won't fit the lock.

I was thinking about this earlier, and will probably hang a small slim fender horizontally just above the waterline, to cope with cills that are lower than the stern fender(s). I'll probably put it onto karabiner clips and set lengths of line, so it can be clipped on before a narrow lock flight.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Mine does sometimes too, as I can't usually use the full two tipcats and a button on the stern as then it won't fit the lock.

I was thinking about this earlier, and will probably hang a small slim fender horizontally just above the waterline, to cope with cills that are lower than the stern fender(s). I'll probably put it onto karabiner clips and set lengths of line, so it can be clipped on before a narrow lock flight.

Ex-working boat rudders are generally plenty strong enough to cope with drifting gently back against (not onto) a cill.

Often not the case with modern boats, though.

Tim

know have to try sometime so guess will have to find quiet slot. Thought would spend day first watching how others sort out...real wuss thats me.

We should both go to a lock side pub,sit there with laughing liquid and enjoy. I feel the same as you about doing this, but hey, wheres the fire. !! icecream.gif

I sympathise with this as I was quite worried myself as a new boater a few weeks ago. I had to pick my boat up from Gayton and bring it down to and through London- I did have my son and my Mrs to help me part of the way, but most of the trip was on my own.

In the event it was not so bad at all. Actually at a lot of locks there were other boats going up or down whose crew were very happy to do a little extra to assist a single hander. It became quite sociable at points on the GU, going through several locks with the same boat/s.

At other times I mobilised some random members of the public who were hanging around the locks (I know there's a word for such people, I can't remember it right now) and they seemed to enjoy opening & closing gates as directed!

I am sure you will be fine when it comes to it. I would just advise taking things slowly and simply, not (yet) trying out any of the clever techniques advocated on this & similar threads!

Pretty much the same journey as I have got for my maiden voyage. Any tips ?

Shh, they'll never know.

I did consider spending the day at Watford to just look but no pub there and liquid refreshment so crucial when one is gearing up to be a big brave soldier.

Still not tackled locks solo..one day yep one day I will.

Let me know how you manage..and also if you find a pub where i can sit and watch all the competent others there are about.

Just had another "how to get into my mooring lesson" by very competent person...dont think Im quite that standard yet!!

edited to add...but i love my boat so much I will get there

Edited by patty-ann

Patty-Ann,

come on you at least, have the Ba*& ( to steer a boa) t on your own. It's just a matter of understanding what is affecting the boat outside your control. The rest of it YOU control. Then its a matter of adjusting for it. Simples.

Come on you can do this.

oh yes i chug along quite happily until obstacles such as locks get in the way.

One time I managed to sidestep 3 narrow boats and leave chaos in my wake...dunno how. Guess just one of those things.

Locks seen so big, heavy frightening and imposing but i must face the fear.

Hi Patty Ann. Am itching to get out of the marina this summer. Double locks here on the K and A.....and not wanting to climb ladders....seems like mooring up till someone ekse comes along ir relying on friends and family....or is there a long lockfree stretch somewhere from here eastwards towards Oxford.

See what happens when you leave your boat in gear in a lock. At about the 8 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdop30lig3Q

What a complete wanker. Looking at all that, you could begin to think that the boat was glad to be rid of him. I've never seen anything like it . . . . . absolutely clueless from beginning to end. I wonder if the bloke with his flies undone was expressing an opinion about what was about to happen next.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

What a complete wanker. Looking at all that, you could begin to think that the boat was glad to be rid of him. I've never seen anything like it . . . . . absolutely clueless from beginning to end. I wonder if the bloke with his flies undone was expressing an opinion about what was about to happen next.

I think your comments are bit rude, after all the person in the video is a professional boatman like yourself. I'm surprised you don't recognise him. He happens to own a fleet of vintage working boats, a marina, pub, boat building & repair business and is highly regarded, also a member of this forum. He probably made an honest error of judgment on that particular day.

I think your comments are bit rude, after all the person in the video is a professional boatman like yourself. I'm surprised you don't recognise him. He happens to own a fleet of vintage working boats, a marina, pub, boat building & repair business and is highly regarded, also a member of this forum. He probably made an honest error of judgment on that particular day.

More than one error, I think.

Tim

Proffessional boatman . . . . . don't make me laugh, he wouldn't know one end of a boat from the other. He might own all those things you say, but that just means he's got a lot more money than sense.

The first error of judgement he made on that day was lighting up the engine and untying the boat. From the beginning it just went from bad to worse and he made a balls up of everything he was shown doing.

Wearing a pair of bib and brace overalls and a flat cap doesn't turn a goon into a boatman. Can you tell me what he's 'highly regarded' for, it's got to be something other than boating.

Edited by Tony Dunkley
  • Greenie 1

That really is quite bizarre.

For a start, who was doing the filming and why? Clearly it was being done with the subject's permission so i wondered if it was some sort of illustration of how not to skipper a narrowboat?

If it's a genuine vid and not some sort of joke, then the guy certainly has got the "I meant to do that" look off to a fine art.

As for Tony's remarks I think he was being quite tactful.

Reminds me of an incident years ago when we were tied up behind a solo boater waiting for the lock. He had decided that we were complete novices for some reason and went to great lengths to explain what we should do as we would be sharing the lock. It's not the first time I've been patronised so we let him have his say. As he jumped aboard I noticed he hadn't untied his bow line but thought it must be some sort of old boatmans trick. As he made way he didn't seem to notice the boat was going sideways and by the time he did the thing was wedged across the cut. Are we supposed to do that as well? I asked.

That really is quite bizarre.

For a start, who was doing the filming and why? Clearly it was being done with the subject's permission so i wondered if it was some sort of illustration of how not to skipper a narrowboat?

If it's a genuine vid and not some sort of joke, then the guy certainly has got the "I meant to do that" look off to a fine art.

Looking at the video I reckon the tiller string has slipped off at the wrong moment.

Purely guessing, but the speed he crosses the gates and shuts the offside one tells me he intended to jump on the counter from the offside. Unfortunately, with the string off, the tiller has swung over and pushed the stern towards the towpath and out of reach.

Nothing left to do, but whistle and pretend it was all meant to happen.

What I do know is that the person who uploaded the video to Youtube is the same one operating the boat. Quite courageous really. I think I would have kept that one to myself!

George ex nb Alton retired

Edited by furnessvale