Fishing from my boat

redfastlad

Featured Posts

Just got a mooring outside the CRT offices in Newark even managed to get on the hook up!!!! everything was looking good today, and I decided to have a fish about 6-30pm second cast in and a cycling bailiff informed me I could not fish from my boat on the CRT moorings!!

I said I have fished here for ten years and my understanding is that I can fish from the boat but not from the bank, as we are outside the CRT office I will enquire in the morning, has anyone else encountered

this problem?

Just got a mooring outside the CRT offices in Newark even managed to get on the hook up!!!! everything was looking good today, and I decided to have a fish about 6-30pm second cast in and a cycling bailiff informed me I could not fish from my boat on the CRT moorings!!

I said I have fished here for ten years and my understanding is that I can fish from the boat but not from the bank, as we are outside the CRT office I will enquire in the morning, has anyone else encountered

this problem?

No but I would of told him the same.

this problem?

The so called bailiff has no jurisdiction on that CRT mooring do please report this to the kiln in the morning I am sure they would like to know you might find he comes back taking photos as well and cause trouble (Big Prat)laugh.png

this problem?

. I don't know if any club controls the stretch of water you are on but if so as long as you are a member it's nothing to do with CRT if know club has fishing rights you can buy a roving permit from CRT that allows you to fish all canals not controlled by a club it's only 20 quid and again you can tell your man to do one

hi just had a word with my next boat skipper who happens to be ex police he informs me that he also has fished from his boat on this mooring and he advises to tell the bailiff to prosecute me !!!! there is something not right happening here as loads of us have fished here for years, I am wondering if the waters have been leased to a new club.

As an avid angler who fishes regularly from my boat and along the tow path, I think I can add some facts.

In order to fish, you basically need two levels of authorisation - first and foremost an EA rod license: http://www.postoffice.co.uk/rod-fishing-licence

This gives you the basic legal right to fish - it does not give you access to a specific water or its fish stocks. For this you need the second level of authorisation - permission from the owner of fishing rights for the water in question. If it's a 'free to fish' water (formally stated or regarded as such by historical convention), this 'permission' may be assumed unless you learn otherwise (e.g. signage). If not, you need permission - in other words a day ticket / membership.

It's possible that CRT have recently leased the rights on your stretch of cut to a club. They've certainly been on a drive to do this, for obvious reasons - it increases both revenue and community engagement. BW was utterly apathetic in this regard. Here on the Lancaster, the PAC have acquired the rights: http://www.pikeanglersclub.co.uk/lancaster-canal/

Overall, provided the club offers day tickets to maintain open access (some do not and I strongly oppose this) then some management and oversight of the angling interests will usually always lead to environmental improvement for all canal users - human, piscine or otherwise...

Assuming the bailiff is genuine (ask for ID) then why not ask how you can buy a ticket or even join the club and get involved, if you're in the area long term?

AS posted afore this So Called Baillif has Not repeat Not got any power over the Kiln VMs please do report it in the morning open 10.00-12.00 this man caused a great deal of agro just after Fishin season started resulting in police presence and some very angry boaters!!!!

I did visit the CRT offices this morning ref the fishing problem, and was informed that yes they have had many complaints about this bailiff being somewhat over zealous in his duties but CRT have leased the waters and the new club are enforcing their rights!!! That seems fairly straight forward then you cant fish from your boat without joining the fishing club ( no I don't want to join any club that operates in this way and furthermore I only visit Newark once or twice a year and I could not substantiate the cost of joining yet another club.)

Now the current situation is anglers cannot fish from the moorings fact!! neither can boaters!! well done the CRT what overpaid exec in is nice river view office rubber stamped this one??? have you seen the opulence of the offices in Newark?

God help us boaters, by the way the lock keeper at Hazleford ferry told us that they are 150 boats down on last years figures for last month me thinks top brass at HQ will have to raise income somehow, could we be in for another rise??

Ps I headed out of Newark and cruised up to Fardon for a refuel and a pump out, I invested £10 in the overnight mooring and had a great evenings fishing along with 2 pike fishermen we `enjoyed one of the best sunsets of the year, so I did have a happy ending.

I did visit the CRT offices this morning ref the fishing problem, and was informed that yes they have had many complaints about this bailiff being somewhat over zealous in his duties but CRT have leased the waters and the new club are enforcing their rights!!! That seems fairly straight forward then you cant fish from your boat without joining the fishing club ( no I don't want to join any club that operates in this way and furthermore I only visit Newark once or twice a year and I could not substantiate the cost of joining yet another club.)

Now the current situation is anglers cannot fish from the moorings fact!! neither can boaters!! well done the CRT what overpaid exec in is nice river view office rubber stamped this one??? have you seen the opulence of the offices in Newark?

God help us boaters, by the way the lock keeper at Hazleford ferry told us that they are 150 boats down on last years figures for last month me thinks top brass at HQ will have to raise income somehow, could we be in for another rise??

Ps I headed out of Newark and cruised up to Fardon for a refuel and a pump out, I invested £10 in the overnight mooring and had a great evenings fishing along with 2 pike fishermen we `enjoyed one of the best sunsets of the year, so I did have a happy ending.

If you have paid for a rod licence I can't see what the problem is ........... you have got a rod licence?

If you have paid for a rod licence I can't see what the problem is ........... you have got a rod licence?

Two totaly seperate things - you need a rod licence, and a 'fishing licence' for rivers/canals where the rights have been sold.

Its like shooting - you have to have a licence for the gun, then you have to have the landowners permission to shoot over his land (sometimes you have to pay for it)

Or :-

You have licenced your car - but you have to pay extra to go on toll roads.

I don't think anyone can stop you from fishing from your boat,

how can anyone prove the water is theirs as it moves and is not labeled.

I believe there was a rule granting fishing permission for working boaters to fish from their boats on the move. This was before IWA or BW existed.

Fishing from the bank, towpath is a different matter.

Yes I am an angler, and have been for many years, also we pay for the right to Moore, cruise our boats, the licence cost far more than any fishery permit.

So take us to court bailiffs.

I'm kind of tempted to say...

I'm not fishing from the towpath - how are you going to stop me fishing on my own boat? Step on my boat and I'll prosecute you for trespass.

I'm not saying this is what I would do - but it is tempting

In reality I would probably have a bit of a fish and if someone who has the right to said no...I'd probably stop

dunfixing, on 11 Sept 2014 - 10:30 AM, said:

...........how can anyone prove the water is theirs as it moves and is not labeled.........

So, to take your statement a bit further :-

A few yards past the Kiln Moorings (a pontoon, which is attached to the bank, towpath side,) there are little 'fishing pegs' projecting over the water for anglers, there are even some for disabled anglers which are to all intents and purposes, are mini-pontoons.

At what stage does does a pontoon become 'bank' or 'non-bank'. at what stage does the fishing club own the fishing rights for which they have paid ?

To answer the second point - I dont believe Fishing Clubs "own" the water, but the " fishing rights between point A and point B"

I do have a fishing licence and yes my boat is also licensed if my boat is on the mooring no one can fish there, club members or any other fishermen , so why cant I fish from my boat??? speaking to several people who can form a valid opinion the consensus is carry on fishing from the boat and tell the bailiff to prosecute me. This week was not the week for confrontation for me we have a few problems and the weeks holiday was to try and bring some relief, normally I would tackle this with both hands and sod the outcome. I have been advised by a CRT employee to e-mail CRT with this unhappy situation, so that will be my next move. Meanwhile we have moored at Stoke lock what a beautiful place its our favourite mooring on the Trent everyone should try it the walks the fishing the fruit on the trees and the berrys its a great tranquil place away from everything and so quiet.

I was a member of the fishing club that had the fishing rights that are on the side of the VM's (this may have changed) I didn't renew my membership with them. I met some of their bailiffs during this time. Some were good some were far from it.

I am a club bailiff on the Canal (although the club does have waters on the Trent) and the current rules are that if you are moored to the towpath and fishing you must be a club member. You can buy a days membership in essence a day ticket but you are classed as a temporary member but with no voting rights etc. I understand this is to do with insurance requirements. A ticket is £2 at present.

I don't think anyone can stop you from fishing from your boat,
how can anyone prove the water is theirs as it moves and is not labeled.
I believe there was a rule granting fishing permission for working boaters to fish from their boats on the move. This was before IWA or BW existed.
Yes I am an angler, and have been for many years, also we pay for the right to Moore, cruise our boats, the licence cost far more than any fishery permit.
So take us to court bailiffs.

I see your point however the theft act (1968 Schedule 1) covers the theft of fishing rights. People have been prosecuted under this act and the Police (when given the correct legislative information) do turn up and take action.

I understand the magical distance is 1 meter from the bank for the rights not to apply. On the Trent this is possible but on the canal I deal with then at that distance you would generally be blocking the navigation and I would imagine that CRT have a byelaw that prevents this.

However in my opinion and in the real world this is used more to deal with poaching and people taking fish for their own benefit.

Of course realistically it's unlikely it will ever come to this. I welcome responsible anglers either on the bank or on a boat. I spend much more time chatting than I do collecting money. I approach people in the way I would like to be approached. However if people decide to be an @r*e then I will be as well.

It sounds like the bailiff that the OP had dealings with needs reporting to the club and CRT.

Anglers and Boaters should work together to improve the waterways for all!

I do have a fishing licence and yes my boat is also licensed if my boat is on the mooring no one can fish there, club members or any other fishermen , so why cant I fish from my boat??? speaking to several people who can form a valid opinion the consensus is carry on fishing from the boat and tell the bailiff to prosecute me. This week was not the week for confrontation for me we have a few problems and the weeks holiday was to try and bring some relief, normally I would tackle this with both hands and sod the outcome. I have been advised by a CRT employee to e-mail CRT with this unhappy situation, so that will be my next move. Meanwhile we have moored at Stoke lock what a beautiful place its our favourite mooring on the Trent everyone should try it the walks the fishing the fruit on the trees and the berrys its a great tranquil place away from everything and so quiet.

I suggest that you calm down re-read Pyroman's post.

As he says you need two levels of authorisation to fish. You have a rod licence (the first level) but you also need need permission of the person with the fishing rights to the actual place you are fishing.

For many years, BW and (now CaRT) have claimed that they have the right to control fishing on waters managed by them for navigation. BW/CaRT sub-lets some of its (alleged) rights to angling clubs who may or may not allow non members to fish.

Whilst BW allowed free fishing on non-let stretches of waterways, you now need a £20 'Waterways Wanderer' permit to fish on its non-let waterways.

As with moorings, the position is not as clear. CaRT would have people believe that it controls fishing rights on its waterways. However, there are enabling acts that give fishing rights to landowners and riparian owners.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

As Newark has become a bilingual state of Nottinghamshire, the police are somewhat overrun by the eastern europeons thieving from every shop in Newark also the price of scrap has dropped dramatically recently therefore the traveller community are finding it hard to keep their Range Rover sports in fuel, and our over stretched police force must take holidays just like everyone else, I am surmising that a call from a bailiff will be almost if not definatly be on the very bottom of their priority list of call outs!!!

On my next return to Newark I think I will put on the WEB that massive carp are being caught on the Trent in Newark town this should ensure a flood of anglers for our bailiff matey to arouse.,

As Newark has become a bilingual state of Nottinghamshire, the police are somewhat overrun by the eastern europeons thieving from every shop in Newark also the price of scrap has dropped dramatically recently therefore the traveller community are finding it hard to keep their Range Rover sports in fuel, and our over stretched police force must take holidays just like everyone else,

Didn't take long to revert to type did it? rolleyes.gif

As Newark has become a bilingual state of Nottinghamshire, the police are somewhat overrun by the eastern europeons thieving from every shop in Newark also the price of scrap has dropped dramatically recently therefore the traveller community are finding it hard to keep their Range Rover sports in fuel, and our over stretched police force must take holidays just like everyone else, I am surmising that a call from a bailiff will be almost if not definatly be on the very bottom of their priority list of call outs!!!

On my next return to Newark I think I will put on the WEB that massive carp are being caught on the Trent in Newark town this should ensure a flood of anglers for our bailiff matey to arouse.,

You appear to have become an anagram of said town

• Greenie 2